Sequel: Yesterday's Feelings

I Woke Up in a Car

04

A couple of days had passed. I had moved everything out of my car and into the room that had been set up for me in this man, Eric's, home. It only took a few trips, I didn't have much. Ruby sat contentedly in the corner of the room, next to a twin bed and a four drawer dresser.

The room was painted white, smelled of fresh paint and Febreeze. It overlooked the front of the garage. It was an overall quaint little room. The bathroom was across the hall, kitchen was downstairs. I had made myself scarce. I didn't want to be in his way or keep him from whatever it was that he normally did.

I was busy playing Ruby as quietly as I could, which, wasn't very quietly. I was busy writing down some words in an old, ratty notebook. I hadn't used it in a long time, probably since Montana. I'd found it buried in my car. I paused when there was a knock on the door. I carefully set Ruby aside and closed the notebook. “Door's open.” my voice croaked.

Eric opened the door with a slight smile, a couple of coffee cups in his hands, “Um, Hi.” He started awkwardly, “Uh, Pastor Reyes said that you, you liked Hot Chocolate.” He said, “I, I made you some.”

I looked perplexedly at Eric a little bit, “Oh, Um, sure.” I said, motioning Eric to come in. I still often thought he might try to murder me or something and wear my skin around in like an Arianna suit.

I put the notebook aside as Eric sat down on the bed and handed me the cup of hot chocolate. “You, um, you have everything you need up here?” He asked, looking around, “Cause you are welcome to come downstairs and hang out if you want.”

I looked at Eric with a nod, “Yeah, I just don't want to be in your way or anything.” I said, sipping on the hot chocolate. It was good.

Eric shrugged, “You in my way? Nah.” Eric laughed a little, “Look, um, I'm having some people over tonight so you're welcome to come down and visit if you want.”

I looked surprised, “Oh, um sure.” I said, nodding a little, “Um, do you mind if I do some laundry then?” I asked, my eyes falling to the pile of dirty laundry in the corner.

Eric nodded, “Yeah, that's cool.” He said, pausing to drink some of his hot chocolate. “Where are you from?” He asked.

“New York.” I said quietly, sipping my hot chocolate.

Eric was a little shocked, “Wow. How, uh, How did you end up with Pastor Reyes?” He asked.

I looked into my hot chocolate, sighing, “Um, Maybe, Maybe I'll share that another time.” I said quietly.

Later, before everyone arrived I made sure to have all my laundry clean. I was exiting the shower and walking across the hall, towel wrapped around my body when I saw someone walk by the bottom of the stairs. I heard them shout about “some chick fresh outta the shower upstairs”. I blushed and headed into the bedroom putting on my jeans and a clean shirt. Nothing fancy.

Once I was dressed, I headed downstairs and saw all kinds of people milling about, some with drinks in their hands, some not. I headed for the kitchen where there was another tall brunette boy seasoning some chicken. He had a rather large nose but some gorgeous blue eyes. I headed to the fridge and looked for something to drink. It was stocked, mostly with beer. I grabbed a glass instead and just poured myself some tap water.

I leaned against the counter and just watched people come in, come out, and some people looked at me, others didn't. I didn't know anyone and felt really out of place. I stared at my glass of water until someone asked me a question, the blond with the dreads.

He was tall, blue-eyes, beanie covering his dreads, “You okay?” He asked, looking at me. He was wearing a grey shirt and jeans. He was quite attractive.

I was surprised, someone was talking to me, “Oh, uh, yeah, fine.” I said quietly, “I, um, I don't really know anyone.” I said, smiling a little.

The blonde dread-headed man stuck out his hand, “Well, I'm John. You met my little brother Eric, this is his place.” He had a form grip and a strong shape. I could tell that John was a good man.

“Oh.” I nodded a little, “It's nice to meet you John.” I said, shifting awkwardly on my feet. “This.. is a nice place. It's big.” I tried to make conversation, though I wasn't sure where to even start.

I hated this. I felt like such an outsider. I would have been better off playing Ruby upstairs and writing. I excused myself from John and headed back to the room with Ruby. I was thankful. I sat down on the bed and grabbed the notebook and began to make Ruby sing. There wasn't any real loud music downstairs but I could hear lots of voices outside.

I let my fingers tickle the strings, just playing random chords and notes, bending them and almost making them break. It wasn't even a song, it was barely notes strung together. I was just getting into playing, bending notes and breaking all the rules when a knock at the door interrupted me.

I paused, biting my lip and looking at the door, “It's.. It's open.” I said, waiting as the door swung open wide and a crowd of people were standing around my door. Eric and John, included. “Oh, Uh. Was I playing too loud? I can stop.” I said, setting Ruby down next to the bed sheepishly.

Eric looked at me and shook his head, “No, no, Keep playing, you're really good.” Eric said, the collective group nodding in agreement.

John spoke up next, “Yeah, you should come downstairs and jam with us!” He said enthusiastically.

I blushed and bit my lip, looking at Ruby, “Are you all sure?” I asked, looking at all of them.

“Yes!” They all collectively answered.

I nodded and grabbed Ruby, meeting Eric and John at the door, the others had headed downstairs. They didn't seem so bad.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit: Chain Gang by MOD SUN

Just a shorty. I have to work all weekend, not sure if I'll be able to write more.

As always, Read & Review!