Sequel: Yesterday's Feelings

I Woke Up in a Car

09

My passport arrived just after Thanksgiving, just as the snow began to fly. I was becoming accustomed to going through airports, with flying, with just spending time with Eric, though things were still awkward. I still texted with John when I could but it was never anything more than, “Hi, How are you?” “Good, you?” and an occasional, “I miss you.”

However, instead of flying out immediately after the holiday, Eric had dragged me up to Mammoth Mountain. Don't get me wrong, I was all for snow and winter, but don't try to stick me on skis or a snowboard. I had tried both as a little kid with my mom and dad, though I never really picked up either. Instead, I situated myself in the lodge near the fireplace with a good book and my phone.

Eric spent all day out, though, to be honest, I didn't mind. I'd come to know that was his job and I wasn't about to stop him. I just merely needed to make sure he got from Point A to Point B in one piece and on time, though, some days, it was harder than it seemed.

I was lost in the throws of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire when I was startled by someone wrapping their arms around me, snow falling over my shoulder and onto the book. I screamed a little and looked over my shoulder to see Eric's beard caked in snow resting there.

Eric had been doing this thing called, “No Shave November” where, well, you guessed it, he didn't shave for the entire month. So I had to watch and stare as this unruly beard started taking over his face. It made him look older, more.. ruggedly handsome, more manly.

I closed my book and brushed the snow off my shirt and lap, “Eric, was that really necessary?” I asked frowning up at him. Great, now the snow had melted into my clothes in places and I was left with a few wet-spots.

Eric laughed, “What, you don't like my snowy beard?” He asked as he came around from behind the chair I was sitting in, to stand in front of me.

I shook my head, “You look like the abominable snowman.” I muttered, “And not in that cutesy way either, it's kind of scary.” I pointed out. Okay, it was a little cute because of his blue eyes, but no way in hell I'd ever tell him that.

Eric just chuckled, “You should go put that stuff in the car and come out with us.” Eric suggested, nudging my foot with his snowboard boot.

My nose wrinkled and eyes clamped shut, “No thanks. I'm plenty warm in here.” I smiled up at the older as I sipped on my cup of hot chocolate.

“Come on, I dragged you up here and you just sit in the lodge reading and drinking Chocolate. How am I supposed to have any fun with you when you won't strap into a board and come with us.”

I shook my head, “Come on, I'll be fine, besides, I'm about to find out how Harry gets past this dragon.” I said, waving the six-hundred-plus page book in the air.

Eric sighed. He looked a little defeated, “Alright, well, I'll be back to check on you.”

Later that night, back at the house, the party was in full swing. Eric's friends were in town, one last hurrah before they all headed out for contests for the season. Girls were all over and the guys were drinking. I was sticking to just water in my red cup, no one would know the wiser. I grabbed one of the winter jackets that Eric had gotten for me and headed outside to join the bonfire and party. I grabbed a stick and sat down next to one of Eric's friends, stuffing a marshmallow on the end and holding it over the fire.

I clutched the jacket around me tighter, it was cold as hell. I pulled my now flaming marshmallow from the fire and blew it out, carefully balancing the stick between my legs as I zipped the Jacket. No sooner had I zipped the jacket, than Eric had come over and eaten the burnt marshmallow off my stick. “Hey, jerk, that was mine!” I pouted in feeble protest.

Eric smiled as he cradled a coffee cup which had what he'd called a “Hot Toddy” in it, “Make another one, that was good.” He said grinning at me.

I hit him with my hand lightly, laughing, “God, you're a jerk.” Though I didn't mean it of course. I put another marshmallow on my stick before handing it to Eric, “Here, I have to pee.” I said.

I grabbed my cup and headed inside the house. The line for the bathroom was down the hallway so I headed into Eric room to use the master bathroom instead. I got there and it was occupied so I waited patiently for the person inside to finish before it was my turn. I did my business and washed my hands heading back out to join the party.

I was just coming out of the master bedroom when a bottle came whizzing by me and crashed against the wall. In an instant I was transported to the night I left. It all came rushing back to me so quick, I panicked. I rushed into the bedroom, not even stopping to see if I'd been cut. My chest was tight as I heard the feet on the stairs. Oh god. Here comes Gene and the yelling, and pounding and screaming all over again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Light With A Sharpened Edge by The Used

Glad to see a few of you have checked it out. Glad you like it!

As always, read & review!