Status: Hiatus

You Get What You Deserve

They're just Stupid

Once everyone was seated, it was a sea of pointed black hats; each of the long house tables was lined with students, their faces glimmering by the light of thousands of candles, which were floating over the tables in midair. Professor Flitwick, a tiny little Wizard with a shock of white hair, was caring an ancient hat and a three-legged stool into the hall.

Behind him a whole group of first years, most of who where taller than Flitwick, walked nervously into the Great Hall. I remember two years ago, when I was in the same position, lined up facing all the older students. The fear the fuelled me as I stood up there, not sure what house I’d be put into

The Sorting Hat sang its song, but it wasn’t the one that I remember it singing when I was in my first year. Once it had finished, Professor Flitwick pulled out a piece of parchment and started to read the names of the first years in alphabetic order.

The Sorting Hat was tried on by all the first years, which shouted out what house they were best suited for, (Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw or Slytherin).

As they came up, I turned in my seat. Only a few people down, were the twins. I was about to lean over and whisper, “Fresh meat,” with a cheeky smile, but quickly stopped myself, when both of their eyes fell on me. I instantly turned back to the front of the hall.

I sighed, and put my head on my arms. I can’t talk to them. They were just being stupid anyways, it’s not like Chase is a bad guy. I won’t talk to them until they apologise. I shook my head, clearing it, and sat up again; as Flitwick was now taking the stool and hat away.

Hermione and Harry joined us, and Professor McGonagall took her seat up at the staff table.

“What was that all about?” I asked Harry.

Harry started to explain in a whisper, but at that moment, the Headmaster stood up to speak, and he trailed off.

Professor Dumbledore, though very old, always gave an impression of great energy. He had several feet of long silver hair and beard, half-moon spectacles and an extremely crooked nose. He was often described as the greatest wizard of the age, but that wasn’t why I respected him. You couldn’t hep trusting Albus Dumbledore, and as I watched him beaming around at the students, I felt really calm for the first time since the Dementor had entered the train compartment.

“Welcome!” said Dumbledore, the candlelight shimmering on his beard. “Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast...”

Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued. “As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business.”

He paused, and I remembered what Harry had told me on the train about Dumbledore not being happy with the Dementors guarding the school.

“They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds,” Dumbledore continued, “and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises – or even Invisibility Cloaks,” he added blandly, and Harry, Ron and I glanced at each other. “It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the Prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs foul of the Dementors.”

Percy, who was sitting a few seats along from us, puffed out his chest and stared around impressively, showing off his badge. Dumbledore paused again; he looked very seriously around the Hall, and nobody moved or made a sound.

“On a happier note,” he continued, “I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. Firstly, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher.”

There was some scattered, rather unenthusiastic, applause. Only those who had been in the compartment on the train with Lupin clapped hard, me among them. Lupin looked particularly shabby next to all the other teachers in their best robes.
♠ ♠ ♠
I literally loathe writing chapters this size. I find it horrid. I don't like it. Anways, you're maybe wondering "JosieIsJuice?! What is this!? She changed her username AGAIN!?" Yeah, well Elise decided I was Juice, and JosieIsJuice is also my twitter name now. I'm Just Juice.
Comment or you'll turn to talk to the twins, two of the people you love most, and realise you can't talk to them because you're freaking pissed at them.
-Juice x