Status: Hiatus

You Get What You Deserve

Neville's task

“Right, Neville,” said Lupin. “First things first; what would you say is the thing that frightens you most in the world?”

Neville’s lips moved, but no noise came out.

“Didn’t catch that, Neville, sorry,” said Lupin cheerfully.

Neville looked around rather wildly, as though begging someone to help him, then said, in barely more than a whisper, “Professor Snape.”

Nearly everyone laughed. Even Neville grinned apologetically. Lupin, however, looked thoughtful.

“Professor Snape... hmmm... Neville, I believe you live with your grandmother?”

“Er – yes,” said Neville nervously. “But – I don’t want the Boggart to turn into her, either.”

“No, no, you misunderstand me,” said Lupin, now smiling. “I wonder, could you tell us what sort of clothes your grandmother usually wears?”

Neville looked startled, but said, “Well... always the same hat. A tall one with a stuffed vulture on top. And a long dress... green, normally... and sometimes a fox-fur scarf.”

“And a handbag?” prompted Lupin.

“A big red one,” said Neville.

“Right then,” said Lupin. “Can you picture those clothes very clearly, Neville? Can you see them in your mind’s eye?”

“Yes,” said Neville uncertainly, plainly wondering what was coming next.

“When the Boggart bursts out of this wardrobe, Neville, and sees you, it will assume the form of Professor Snape,” said Lupin. “And you will raise your wand – thus – and cry ‘Riddikulus’ – and concentrate hard on your grandmother’s clothes. If all goes well, Professor Boggart Snape will be forced into that vulture-topped hat, that green dress, that big red handbag.”

There was a great shout of laughter. The wardrobe wobbled more violently.

“If Neville is successful, the Boggart is likely to turn his attention to each of us in turn,” said Lupin. “I would like all of you to take a moment now to think of the thing that scares you most, and imagine how you might force it to look comical...”

The room went quiet. I thought... What scared me most in the world?

My mind instantly jumped to being alone. Not just for a couple of hours, or a day, but being totally alone. No one to rely on, or talk to; to be totally, and utterly alone. But, how would a Boggart portray being totally alone? Would it just disappear?

I shook my head, trying to think of something else; something better. I racked my brain, searching. I’ve always been one to hide my fears, to lock them up in the far corners of my mind, where I couldn’t get to them easily.

There was one... A fear that was very big. But it wouldn’t be appropriate to have pop up in a class like this. No. This was a fear that I didn’t want anyone to know about. This was something that sound never be seen or talked about. It was my biggest fear; it shouldn’t be paraded around.

I opened my eyes and looked around. Many people had their eyes shut tight. I saw Harry give a shiver, and I quickly looked away, not wanting him to know I had seen. Ron was muttering to himself, “Take its legs off.” I was sure I knew what he was talking about. Ron’s greatest fear was spiders.

“Everyone ready?” said Lupin.

I felt a great lurch of fear. I wasn’t ready. How could I make it less frightening? But I didn’t want to ask for more time; everyone else was nodding and rolling up their sleeves. Plus, I didn’t want to look like I was too scared. I quickly moved my all-ready rolled up sleeves so they were more comfortable.

“Neville, we’re going to back away,” said Lupin. “Let you have a clear field, all right? I’ll call the next person forward... everyone back, now, so Neville can get a clear shot –“

We all retreated, backing against the walls, leaving Neville alone beside the wardrobe. He looked pale and frightened, but he had pushed up the sleeves of his robes and was holding his wand ready.

“On the count of three, Neville,” said Lupin, who was pointing his own wand at the handle of the wardrobe. “One – two – three – now!”

A jet of sparks shot from the end of Lupin’s wand and hit the doorknob. The wardrobe burst open. Hook-nosed and menacing, Snape stepped out, his eyes flashing at Neville. Neville backed away, his wand up, mouthing wordlessly. Snape was bearing down upon him, reaching inside his robes.

“R-r-riddikulus!” squeaked Neville.

There was a noise like a whip-crack. Snape stumbled; he was wearing a long, lace trimmed dress and a towering hat topped with a moth-eaten vulture, and swimming a huge crimson handbag from his hand.

There was a roar of laughter; the Boggart paused, confused and Lupin shouted, “Parvati! Forward!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, I'm only up to page 104. Isn't that sad? I'm guessing this story will have about 40-50 chapters in total. Depending on how long I make them, and what I write. Can anyone guess what Corey's Boggart would be? Comment and tell me (: Talking about comments, I've been getting some really nice ones; and I'd just like to say thank you guys for reading, etc :D
Comment or your Boggart won't change.
-Juice(: