Death Day

Chapter Three

It was nearly light by the time the car stopped. A thin fog hung in the air as her father lifted her out of their navy blue sedan. The grass under Noelle's feet was wet from dew.

She couldn't see anything except for outlines and shadows. It scared her. The little girl's hand grasped the air wildly for one of her parents, a thumb entering her mouth.

Finally, a comfortingly warm hand found hers. It was double the size of her own and made her feel protected. Nothing could harm her as long as her hand was in this one.

Her father pulled her forward, bringing them towards a very large shadow. It was in the shape of a house. Square, with a triangle on top. That's how she drew them at school.

"Now, Noelle," her father grumbled. "Don't talk. Let Mommy and Daddy handle this, okay? There's no reason to get scared, but if you do, just squeeze my hand."

The black haired girl nodded her head up and down at her tall father. He had the same color hair as her and was at least six feet tall. Despite the fact that he wasn't very muscular or intimidating, Noelle felt the safer with her father than with anyone else. Daddy's little girl, her grandmother would call her.

The door creaked open as her blonde haired mother entered the large building. Noelle and her father followed shortly after.

Footsteps from the trio echoed loudly in the building. It appeared empty, besides a few boxes with white sheets placed over them. The walls and floor appeared to be alluminum or something similar.

On the wall farthest to the family, there was a door. It was just like any regular door. Brown, with a golden handle. But you would never guess what was behind it.
The blonde woman grunted angrily. "Where is he? He said he'd meet us right here."

Noelle's father released her hand, and placed it comfortingly on her mother's back. "Joan, we're early. It's okay. He's probably on his way right now. He told us to meet him here at eleven o'clock but it's ten fifty right now. Don't worry."

The tall man frequently said that. "Don't worry." It was like his motto. He should have worried, though. They all should have.

Image


The door on the other side of the room had eventually opened after at least an hour of waiting. Noelle's parents grumbled about the lateness the whole time. Their complaints only increased when they realized that the man was here the whole time.
The man had stepped out of the door wearing a long, white lab coat. He looked like an evil scientist. His head was mostly bald, besides a few patches of gray here and there on either side. He had an oversized nose and his face drooped from age.

The little girl instantly feared him. Her parents, however, feared nothing.

"How dare you!" her mother screeched. "We waited here for over an hour and you were here this whole time! Give Snow back, you bastard!"

Noelle recoiled from shock at her mother's tone, almost worried that it was going to be turned on her.

The old man chuckled darkly. "I don't plan on it," he sneered.

It was then that John decided to step in. "What have you done to my boy, you disgusting pervert? I swear to God, I will skin you alive." The dark haired man began to stomp forward, rolling up the sleeves of his button up shirt and preparing for a fight.

The old man did nothing but laugh. "You think I'm scared of you?"

"You 'ought to be. I'll break your brittle bones like toothpicks."

"You're just an old man! Nothing in comparison to my husband!" Noelle's mother chimed in, clearly excited to witness a fight.

John finally reached the man, and swung his right fist, aiming for the face of his son's captive. The elder of the two had surprisingly quick reflexes, and dodged the punch, swinging down and delivering a fist to the back of John's knee. The action caused him to collapse and plant his face into the hard ground.

Placing a foot on his back, the old man slid John behind him and into the room hidden by the door. He shut it behind him, and smirked dangerously at the remaining two. "Say your last words to each other," he whispered.

Joan scoffed. "Last words? Funny thing to say to people who are immortal."

"Immortal?" The man said skeptically. "There's no such thing as immortality. Nothing lasts forever."

"Yes there is," Noelle's mother insisted. "I tried it myself. Plenty of times. Over doses, drowning. Nothing killed me. I cannot die. It is impossible."

"Are you so sure?"

"One-hundred percent. Now give me my son and husband back."

"Not gonna happen." The man pulled a small silver gun out from his lab coat pocket. He pointed it at the blonde haired woman who threw her head back and laughed.

"Go ahead," she urged. "It won't do anything."

The man obeyed her and pulled the trigger. He shot Noelle's mother in the thigh, and she gasped with pain as she collapsed but grinned nonetheless. "You. Can't. Kill. Me."

"Oh, dear. Those aren't my attentions. Not yet anyways. It's... Let's see... Eleven o'clock? I've still got 59 minutes with you. A lot can happen in that amount of time. Now, it's time to meet with your dear husband and son once more."

For the first time, the man looked past Joan and at Noelle. "And you will get to see your brother again," he said with a voice that dripped with fake excitement. A way most adults talked to Noelle. "Isn't that exciting?"

The dark haired girl said nothing, but looked up at the man with wide, scared eyes. She wanted to see her brother but she didn't want to go near this man.

Two bulky men appeared from the door her brother's captor had come out of. They both had shaven heads and looked at least 300 pounds. They stomped towards Noelle and her mother, scooping both of them into their arms. The pair took the two girls behind the door, the old man following and locking the door with a click.

Image