Sequel: Thank You

Everywhere Everything

Death of Me

Pacing. This is what I had resorted to. I had been working up the nerve to ring the doorbell for twenty minutes. Compared to Seattle, Tempe was a sauna. I was melting and I am sure my make-up was all over the place. The house I was looking at was picture perfect, but who lived inside?

What if it was my dad's house? What if he had 5 kids and a wife and there was no room for me in his life? Who else's house could it be? I looked at the sheet of paper with the address on it, wishing my mom had given me some sort of warning of what I was getting myself into. I stopped pacing when the door started to slowly open. A short brunette with piercing brown eyes visible all the way across the lawn smiled at me. Step mom?

"I took off of work just in case you came today," she said. She didn't sound happy to see me, she sounded sad.

"Just in case?" I asked, taking a step towards her and then stopping. I didn't know this person. She ignored my question.

"Come on in, Carolina," she smiled, gesturing towards the door.

"I'm sorry, but who are you?" I asked, realizing how it rude it sounded as soon as it came out of my mouth.

"I'll explain it all inside," she said, waiting for me to take those last few steps into her perfect home.

Once inside, I awkwardly waited for her to show me where to go. I was socially awkward which meant that meeting new people made me uncomfortable, especially if this woman could be my stepmother.

"We didn't know when to expect you. Your mom left all of us envelopes with dates on them for just in case." the lady sighed, motioning for me to follow her.

"You keep saying 'Just in case.' What do you mean?" I asked, setting my bag down on the barstool next to the one I took a seat on.

"Your mom has had this planned ever since she found out she had cancer. All of us got an envelope with a specific date on it. We didn't know what year you would come, though. We didn't know when she would go," she said. It looked like she was about to tear up.

"What do you mean when you say, 'All of us.' There are more people? My mom left an envelope? I am not following a word you are saying." I just stared at this strange lady talking gibberish.

"God, I am messing this up, aren't I?" She asked, wiping the corner of her eye with her fingertip. "She picked me to go first because she thought I would be the best at explaining, but here I am, mucking this up."

"So, you and my mom were close?" I asked, taking the glass of water she offered me.

"We were. We used to be, at least," she answered, propping her elbows up on the counters, and resting her chin on her hands.

"When was the last time you saw her?" I asked.

"I think I am supposed to give you this letter first, and you are supposed to ask questions after. I think I remember her saying that," she said, reaching for an envelope I hadn't even noticed. The same elegant print my mother always used adorned the front of the envelope. It simply had my name on it.

"Do you mind if I…?" I asked, pointing to the living room.

"Oh, you stay here!" she said, with a smile. "I need to go tell my husband you're here."

As soon as she was gone, I carefully opened the envelope. I expected there to be more than one sheet of paper. My mother was a writer, after all. A few of her books even made the best sellers wall in many bookstores. I was disappointed with her one sheet of paper.

My sweet Carolina,

If I know anything at all, I know that Sophia has done a pitiful job of filling you in. That is why I chose her to be your first stop. I selfishly wanted the task of explaining this journey I am asking you take. Another thing I would be willing to bet is that she was so caught up in making you feel welcome she forgot to introduce herself. Sophia Santino is her name, and she is a friend of mine. We met in Tempe twenty years ago. Her husband, who I assume hasn't made an appearance yet, is Nick. Nick and Sophia have only met you once, right after you were born. We lost contact with each other throughout the years, but as you know, I lost contact with everyone.

As you can see, I brought you to Tempe. I can imagine it is about 108 degrees there. Different from Seattle, right? Believe me, I know. You will get used to it. You may be there a little while.

I understand that you are confused as to why I sent you to a foreign state to meet complete strangers. The answer is simple. These strangers you are going to meeting during the next few weeks will be your key to finding more out about your father, and more about me. They are some of the greatest people I know, and they know your father and me more than anyone else in the world. Nick and Sophia are the starting point of your little tour. After you are done reading this, they will hand you another envelope with another address and a date on it. Carolina, please pay attention to this next part, because I know you. I know you don't have a lot of patience and I know you don't like playing by the rules, but please listen to me. Please don't try to do everything on your own. Please stick to the dates and the order that I give you things. If you don't everything will end up a mess. Please do this for me.

Feel free to ask any of these people questions. I hope you fall in love with them just as I have.

I promise, the next stop is where the story begins. I have written my last novel, and you will get it in pieces. It took me a long time to set all of this up. I hope you learn everything you can from these people.

I love you.

Until next time,

Mom.

I unzipped my backpack, took out the box I kept my mom's keepsake box in and stuffed the letter in there. I took a moment to collect my thoughts before I went looking for Sophia. I walked through the small hallway I entered earlier and found both Sophia, and who I assumed to be Nick, sitting on their couch. They both stood as I entered, and Nick stuck his hand out.

"I'm Nick," he smiled at me. I shook his hand and returned the smile, looking from him to Sophia.

"And you're Sophia?" I asked her. She facepalmed and nodded her head.

"I knew I forgot something," she chuckled.

"She's scatterbrained sometimes," Nick joked, and earned an elbow to the rib. I laughed and took a seat across from them.

I looked around and saw family portraits from earlier days. Nick, not that he was unattractive now, used to be a fox.

"You have a kid?" I asked, motioning towards a picture. Both of their faces lit up.

"We have one," Nick said. "Amelia. She goes to ASU. She's too cool to stay at home. I don't get it though. I always thought we were cool parents!"

"We used to be," Sophia shrugged.

"She's pretty," I commented on a picture on top of the fireplace.

"Thank you," Sophia said. "So are you. You look so much like your mom."

I smiled. I took that as a compliment since my mom has always been drop dead gorgeous.

"You got everything from her but the eyes," Nick said, lounging back on the couch. A-ha! Not only did they know my mom, they knew my dad.

The one question that I have been dying to ask since I could remember finally found out its way out of my mouth. "Does he know about me?"

It merely came out above a whisper, but Nick heard me.

"No," he sighed. "It's been hell trying to keep it away from him for eighteen years. I've almost slipped up a few times, and I'm not the only one."

Why did my mom want to keep me a secret from him? It wasn't fair. Didn't I deserve a father?

Nick and Sophia asked me to stay for dinner. They missed having a kid in the house. I didn't blame them. I missed having adults around. My grandmother didn't count. She was pure crazy.

It took a while, but they finally started talking about my dad.

"He was a musician?" I asked, stabbing another piece of broccoli with my fork.

"He is a musician," Nick corrected me and smiled.

"Are you a musician?" I asked, suddenly intrigued. Music was a big part of my life, and the fact that my father was in a band; it just made my life 10 times better.

"I am," Nick nodded.

"What was the name of your band?" I asked.

"A Ro-"

"No details like that," Sophia said, covering Nick's mouth with her hand. Nick licked it and she cringed. I laughed. They were cute together.

"Why can't I know?" I asked.

"Yeah, why can't she know?"

"I'm just going to go google his name when I get to my hotel," I confessed.

"We can't stop you from doing that," Sophia shrugged, "but your mom told us to keep the details vague for a reason. I wouldn't if I were you. Your mom knows what she is doing."

I nodded. I guess my mom did know what she was doing.

After dinner and a three hour chat, it was time for me to go. I thanked Sophia and Nick for dinner and gave them each a hug. I promised them I would come back to see them before I went back to Seattle.

Sophia slipped the envelope into my hand and kissed my cheek.

"Have fun at your next stop," Nick said. "They're crazy."

I smiled and opened the envelope. Another address. Another date. Tomorrow.

I guess tomorrow I was meeting crazy people. Tomorrow the real story begins.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know there are typos. I apologize.