Sequel: Thank You

Everywhere Everything

Let It Ride

Now that I had the first visit out the way, I was more prepared for this one. Anxious would be a better word for what I was, I suppose. I was anxious to read my mom's last novel. I would be the only person on the face of the Earth to read her last work. I didn't know what to expect.

As soon as the taxi pulled up to a two-story house in the middle of nowhere, I hopped out and paid. As I pulled the backpack tighter over my shoulder, I felt my stomach tighten. For the first time in my life I felt a twinge of doubt about my desire to discover my dad's identity. He might be a musician, but what if he was Chad Kroeger or something? Clearly I was panicking. But it would just be really nice if it wasn't Chad Kroeger. That would be gross since he would have been twice my mom's age if they did date. I made my way up the walkway and rang the doorbell, wiping the sweat off my forehead. I heard voices from the other side of the door and instinctively tried to look through the glass to see who it was. I didn't recognize the brown-haired man who answered the door a second later, but I hadn't really expected to. I only got to meet one or two of her friends from her glory days.

"Carolina," the man said simply, smiling warmly. He looked at me for a second like I was making his day by simply standing in the doorway, which was certainly nice. Like Nick, this guy showed evidence of being a total babe in his day. "I'm Kennedy, your mom's friend. Come on in." He held out his hand, I shook it, and before I knew it I was being led into the house.

"Carolina!" a female voice exclaimed. I turned to see a middle-aged woman with wavy brown hair coming toward me with a smile, albeit a slightly sad one. Clearly, I was a reminder of the friend they had lost, even if they hadn't spoken to her in years. I felt like the grim reaper. Sophia had said they didn't know what year I was coming. So along with finding out more about my father, I was the angel of death. I brought bad new with me.

Kennedy walked over to who I assumed was his wife and put his arm around her waist.

"Carolina, this is my wife Peyton." Peyton reached out and gave me a swift hug, saying, "I really wish we could have met under better circumstances." As she said this, I saw Kennedy shoot her a look, but I ignored it. Two months wasn't long, but the awkward comments about my mom stung less and less each day.

Kennedy sat with me on the couch while his wife went to get my envelope. We made small talk about the Arizona heat and how bad both our local baseball teams were as I looked around their spacious living room. I spotted a beautiful picture of Peyton, Kennedy, and a boy and a girl about my age and another girl a few years older, in what I suspected was their backyard. I picked it up and was about to ask Kennedy about it when Peyton came running back from wherever she had gone, envelope in hand.

"Oh I see you found my favorite photo!" she said. "Our twins, Piper and Lucas. And Kennedy's daughter, Olivia." She looked at the photo with such warmth; you could tell they possessed her heart completely. The look on her face reminded me of the way my mom looked at me whenever we were sitting together watching soap operas, so I turned away quickly and sat down.

Kennedy took the envelope with my mom's beautiful writing on it and gently handed it to me, watching me carefully with warm, chocolate colored eyes. Peyton sat on the arm of the couch, biting her lip anxiously as she watched me unfold the letter. I paused and looked at both of them. I didn't mean to be a total bitch, but I wanted to be alone. I wanted it to be just me, alone with the words my mother left me with.

Kennedy seemed to get the hint before Peyton did. I guessed this when he picked her up and slung her over his shoulder.

"BUT I WANT TO SEE HER READ THIS," she yelled, pounding on Kennedy's back. "CAROLINA!"

"Don't worry, baby. I got something to show you in the bedroom," he chuckled. That shut her up. I didn't want to know what they were doing in the bedroom… I tried not to think about it.

This letter was longer than the last, thank god. The first page simply said, "The Beginning." I eagerly flipped the page to a hand written message. "Carolina, I was boy crazy back then. I hope you have better sense than I did. Also, my memory is a little foggy on some things, but I tried to keep it as close to real life as I could." I smiled and flipped the page. This was it. This was really happening.

Friday nights were always the highlight of my weeks. My uncle owned a small music venue in downtown Tempe called "The Place." Original name, right? It was something my mother didn't approve of, which made it appeal to me even more. One summer I decided to visit my uncle. Friday nights were always packed with mediocre bands, alcohol and boys.

The summer of 2011 was when my life would change forever, but I didn't know it at the time. A local band was playing, and the lead singer had a certain physical appeal. The band was called "Walking After Dark," or "WAD" as we liked to call them. The lead singers name was Ben, and I had my eyes set on him from the moment his band took the stage. I quietly sipped on my vodka and Redbull, waiting for their set to be over. He had a great voice, and these intense green eyes that kept looking in my direction. Their set ended and I watched as he packed all of the equipment up. When he walked off of the stage, I sat up straight and smiled when he started walking my way. It wasn't until he walked right past me that I found out it wasn't me he was looking at. He was looking at a drop dead gorgeous brunette behind me.

I sighed and took a sip of my drink, debating on whether or not to just cut my losses and leave or set my eyes on another boy.

"I could introduce you, if you wanted," someone beside me spoke up. I looked over and found he was talking to me.

"I'm sorry?"

"Ben. The lead singer? Were you or were you not just sexually assaulting him with your eyes?" he chuckled, drawing designs in the condensation forming on his beer glass.

"I… yeah, I was," I shrugged. I had this thing about not lying, no matter how small the lie was. "No point in introducing us if he is already involved," I shrugged.

"Wait, what? Ben is involved?" I watched him look in Ben's direction and chuckle to himself.

"What?" I asked, not understanding why this guy chuckled so much.

"Ben is single. He is the singlist of single. That girl he is with, is married, and not to Ben."

Naturally, this made me giddy.

"I may need a few more drinks before that happens. Also, 'singlist' is not a word."

"Oh no, I am talking to a word Nazi," he shook his head and heaved a fake sigh.

"I am not any kind of Nazi!"

"What are you, an English major?" he asked, cocking his head to the side and giving me a smile.

"Journalism, actually."

"Wow, journalism. That's pretty sweet. Never met anyone with that major before."

"It's not that cool. I write for the music section of our local paper in Seattle. Sometimes I write obituaries if they need me to."

"Morbid. But interesting. So you aren't from Arizona?"

"No. My uncle owns this place. I just came for the summer."

"Your uncle is Fat Joe?"

"I have never heard him called that, but yeah. I guess my uncle is Fat Joe."

"Fat Joe is amazing. He let's my band play here whenever we need quick cash."

"You're in a band too? Is everyone here in a band?"

"Yeah, I am. And why do you say that?"

"I don't know. You've all got that look about you," I shrugged.

I turned to Steve, the cute bartender who I helped get the job here, and ordered another drink. When I looked back to the guy I was talking to, he was studying me.

"What?"

"Nothing. I just never got your name."

"It's Lena."

"Lena. That's pretty. My name is -"

"Hey buddy!" the guy I now knew as Ben wrapped his arm around the guy I was talking to, who rolled his eyes and smiled at me.

"Great job tonight, buddy," he said, patting Ben on the back.

"Thanks," he smiled. God he was attractive. He looked at me then, and I watched as his smile spread and he let go of the guy I was talking to.

"My oh my, who is this?" he asked.

"Lena, this is Ben. Ben, Lena. She's from Seattle."

"I love Seattle," Ben said, stepping between the guy I was talking to and me. "How is Tempe treating you so far?"

"Well," I said, setting my glass on the bar. "It's dry and hot, but I am beginning to really like it."

"Are you used to being wet?" He asked. I gawked at him and he realized what he said and his face contorted in embarrassment. I saw the guy I was previously talking to almost spit out his drink and start laughing.

"Wow, that was really inappropriate and I didn't even think before I opened my mouth. This happens to me a lot. So I say we start over. Hello. My name is Ben. I play in a band. I have lived in Tempe all of my life. I have never actually been to Seattle, I just said that so you would like me. You are beautiful, and I would really like to take you out sometime," he held out his hand for me to shake.

"Hi. I'm Lena. I don't play in a band, but I do write about music for a newspaper in Seattle. I have lived in Seattle all of my life. You aren't missing much in Seattle. I would love for you to take me out sometime," I smiled and shook his hand.

"Really?" Ben asked.

I smiled and nodded. Ben sat down in the seat the guy I was talking to was previously sitting in. I hadn't noticed he left. I didn't know why, at the time, but I felt a pang of jealousy when I looked around the bar and found him talking to someone else.

It wasn't because I was interested in him, it was because he was the first guy in Tempe who had made me feel like I could talk to him about anything. I didn't even get his name.

"Lena?" Ben asked. I snapped back into reality and focused on him.

"Huh?"

"I asked you what you thought of my band."

"Oh, sorry," I smiled and took a sip of my drink. "You guys were great. There aren't many bands like yours in Seattle. Everyone there just whines over an acoustic guitar."

"That must be terrible," he laughed.

"Not really. I happen to like whiney acoustic guitar players," I smiled.

"Do they wear guyliner?" he asked with a smirk.

"No," I shook my head. "So, which show was your favorite show?"

"Oh god. We did this one show, it was a benefit show that my friend Peyton put together because I ran over her best friends dog and she couldn't afford the medical bill. But it was in this big open field, and I got to play with so many bands I admired."

"Any bands I would know?" I asked him.

"Let's see. There was Fairline, This Century, The Summer Set, Brighten, Austin Gibbs, and then A Rocket to the Moon."

"I think I have heard of The Summer Set. A Rocket to the Moon kind of rings a bell."

"Well they're all really great. You should give them a listen, especially if you plan on staying all summer. They are all local bands."

"Their music sound like your bands?"

"I guess." He shrugged. "A lot different than that emo whiney shit you are accustomed to."

"Shut up, I like that emo whiney shit."

"Yeah, yeah. I'll make sure to change that this summer," he said. Cocky. "So, do you have any plans for the rest of the night?"

"Not really. I have to submit my work for the paper tomorrow, and I haven't started it. So I may need to work on that."

"Blow it off," he said with a smirk, tugging on my arm.

"Wait, where are we going?" I asked.

"Party. You need to meet everyone."

And that was how my summer started. A party.

I flipped the page, but it was blank. That was all I got. Conversations with two guys, one I don't even know the name of. I flopped the packet of paper down on the coffee table and shook my head. I thought this would satiate my need for information, but it made it worse. I heard the side door open and I looked as one of the kids from the picture came into view.

"Oh shit, today was the day mom told me to go somewhere else, wasn't it?" she asked nobody in particular, staring straight at me. "Shit. Hi." She awkwardly waved. "I'm Piper."

"Carolina," I smiled, grabbing the papers off of the table and standing up.

"Where are my parents?" she asked.

"Uh. Your dad said he had to show your mom something in the bedroom…"

"God, they can't even keep it in their pants when we have company."

"Piper Camden, that better not be your voice I hear," I heard Peyton call from the top of the stairs.

"Shit," she sighed.

"I heard that," Kennedy said, entering the kitchen.

"Sorry dad," she smiled.

"How was work, kiddo?" He asked, grabbing a few bottles of water from the fridge and offering me one. I took it graciously. I was a little parched.

"Great. I helped Anna nail that punch front she has been having trouble with."

It sounded like they were speaking a foreign language. Kennedy saw my confusion and laughed.

"Piper works at a gymnastics gym. She's been a gymnast since she was five," he informed me, wrapping his arm around her. He was proud of her; you could see it in his eyes. It made me wonder how my life may have been different had my father been in my life.

"I'm home!" Someone else, I assumed Lucas, yelled, entering through the side door as well.

"Does anybody ever listen to me?" Peyton asked, entering the kitchen.

"No," all three of them answered in unison.

"Nice shirt," someone piped in. I looked around Lucas and saw a boy about my age, wearing a Star Wars shirt matching the one I was currently wearing.

"You too," I smirked.

"I didn't know you were coming over, Brayden," Peyton smiled at the boy and wrapped her arm around his shoulder.

"Don't tell mom I'm here." He pleaded.

"Now why would I not tell my best friend that her son was at my house when I know he is supposed to be at her house cutting the grass?"

"Aw come on Peyton. I just want to kick Luke's ass in one game of Halo."

"You guys still play Halo?" Kennedy asked. "I dominated that game back in my day. Mind if I play?"

"Let's go!" Lucas shouted.

"Go, all of you!" Peyton shooed them out of the kitchen.

"It was nice to meet you…"

"Carolina."

"Carolina," Brayden said with a genuine smile.

As soon as they left the kitchen Peyton leaned against the counter and smiled at me.

"How was the letter?" she asked.

"Not as long as I would have liked, but I can tell it will be a good read," I shrugged.

"I have the next date and address for you. Hang on, let me go get it."

I unzipped my backpack and put this letter with the other one in the box. I heard the screams and threats echo from the living room. This was what I missed my whole life. It was just my mom and me. I missed the chance at a family. Hopefully, once I found my dad that would change.

"Here it is," she said, sliding the envelope across the counter. "Now, beware, these people are crazy."

"Funny, that's what Sophia said about you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Some of this was written by my friend Rosie :) Okay, so this is all I had so far. Let me know what you think. :)