Status: Need comments ;)

Terrible Things

You Were The Greatest Thing That Ever Happened To Me

I was with my Dad visiting mom’s cemetery. It’s been a routine for us since mom’s death five years ago. I could tell you that my dad really loved her by seeing how vulnerable he was every time he remembered about Mom, especially when we’re doing this routine every year.

After an hour and half passed, we finally made our way back to home. I went to the kitchen to find something to fill my stomach. As I made my way back to my room, I found Dad sitting alone looking at his old photo album. I was curious so I turned around and sit beside him.
`Missing her so much? ` I asked as he slowly nodded.
`Have I ever told you about how was my love story with her? `
`Dad, you never told me about how you met mom. `
From there, this story began.

***

Dad was a rock star. He played bass in this famous band called The Downtown Fiction. Together with his best friends, Cameron Leahy, Wes Dimond and Eric Jones, he traveled around the states—even the world—to play music for so many fans.

On September 2011, there was a hometown show in Jammin’ Java, Virginia, when dad met mom for the first time. She was a barista there. `She was young, pretty, sexy… Damn, I just couldn’t stop starring at her that time. ` Dad said about mom.

Lucky Dad, his band got some day off in Virginia before going back on tour. Dad spent his free time to go to the café to meet Winnie, to meet my mom. He just went to buy a cup of espresso and sit at the nearest seat from where Mom did her job—he was just staring at her. `I could do that for hours. Just sit and stare, watching the one I love doing her job. ` Dad explained.

One day, Dad got a chance to talk to my mom. That’s when they introduced their self to each other. And also, the time Dad confessed her feeling to mom.
`You know what, David. I always see you came here to just order a cup of coffee, staring at something. You have nothing to do, huh? ` Winnie asked.
`I have some days off before going back on tour. How could you notice me? `
`I caught you staring at me for many times. You know, the way you staring at me—you seem has a feeling--` Winnie said slowly as David suddenly held her hands and hugged her.
`I do have a feeling for you. You know what, Winnie? I love you since the first time I saw you days ago. `


***

`Winnie was a shy one. I remembered how pinky was her cheeks when I told her I loved her. Several days to get closer, we finally made it to be a couple. ` Dad said as he looked to a photograph of their wedding day.
`How did you purpose her? ` I asked.

***

After two years of dating, Dad finally purposed Mom right a day after his last winter tour show. Dad made a beautiful song for Mom and as soon as he finished singing it, he took out a little box from him pocket.
`You know that I love you, will you marry me? `

December 2013, David James Pavluk purposed Winnie Amelie Smith to get married on February 2014.

***

Everything seemed so great on Dad’s life. He had his success in career and also about his love story. He could tell himself that he’s blessed with everything around him and he couldn’t thank God enough about that. Especially when Mom finally got pregnant and they had me in year 2015.

Years passed so fast, but it seemed that good things were not on Dad’s side anymore. Mom was found passed out when Dad got home. It made him panicked while the little me couldn’t do anything but crying.

We went to the hospital as Uncle Cameron, Uncle Eric and Uncle Wes came with their wives and kids. They all had that bitter smile while telling Dad that everything would be fine. Dad could only smiled and thanked them while he’s carrying me on his arms waiting for the doctors diagnosing mom’s disease.

***

Several days later, Dad got a bump on his heart. He was talking to Mom about her disease and that might be the worst thing ever he would wish he had never known.
`She’s sick. She had a cancer and she said it couldn’t be healed. ` Dad told me slowly. I could feel his body shaking, trying hard to hold his emotion. `She only got weeks. Even she still smiled because she didn’t want me to be sad. Last thing I knew from her was that I used to be the greatest thing that ever happened to her. `Dad couldn’t hold his emotion anymore as he started to cry. I got up to get him some tissues and gave it to him.
`You know what, Son? Love is somehow the greatest thing that happens to us, even if there’s so much you might lose on your way there. I just hope you’ll find someone you’ll truly be in love with, and once you found the one, please, take care of her with your best. I hope what happened with me won’t be happened to you. ` Dad stopped and cleaned his eyes. `Sorry I talked too much. ` He said as I gave him a bitter smile.
`Thanks for your story, Dad. ` I said, `sure I’d do what you’ve told me. `

Dad stood up and walked to his piano. `I remembered an old song of my best friends’ band, it somehow really closed to what happened to me even though it was made years ago before your mom funeral ceremony. ` He opened the cover and started to play the song.

'By the time I was your age I’d give anything
To fall in love truly was all I could think
That’s when I met your Mother, the girl of my dreams
The most beautiful woman that I’d ever seen

She said, “Boy can I tell you a wonderful thing?
I can’t help but notice you staring at me
I know I shouldn’t say this but I really believe
That I can tell by your eyes that you’re in love with me”

Now son, I’m only telling you this because
life, can do terrible things
Now most of the time we had too much to drink
We'd laugh at the stars and we'd share everything
Too young to notice and too dumb to care
Love was a story that couldn't compare

I said, “Girl can I tell you a wonderful thing?
I've made you a present with paper and string
Open with care, now I'm asking you please
You know that I love you, will you marry me?”

Now son, I'm only telling you this because
life, can do terrible things
you’ll learn one day, I hope and I pray
that God, shows you differently

She said, “Boy can I tell you a terrible thing?
It seems that I'm sick and I've only got weeks
Please don't be sad now, I really believe
you were the greatest thing that ever happened to me.”

Slow, so slow, I fell to the ground on my knees

So don't fall in love, there's just too much to lose
If given the choice then I'm begging you, choose
To walk away, walk away
Don't let her get you
I can't bear to see the same happen to you

Now son, I'm only telling you this because
Life, can do terrible things.'


Dad finished the song, it was titled 'Terrible Thing' by his old friends Mayday Parade. Showing me a better emotion, he said to me, `Let's forget the sadness and get some pizzas for us tonight.`

Seeing his changing expression, I just couldn't say no to my dad, especially about the pizza thingy. So after I did a little pray for mom again, I immediately took the phone and ordered pizza dad asked for.
♠ ♠ ♠
I won the contest! Lol, I didn't know why but I'm so happy about that :D Lia said that Rya will post the story on TDFIndonesia ST's page while I was planning to upload the story here in mibba too. So I put a little more things on the ending, I know it sucks, to make it kinda different form the original one. I'll give you the link once they already uploaded my story :D
Anyway, I really need comments, pretty please? :3

-Vany