The Darkness

.00 The New One

“Is that the new one?” Conor asked, peering lightly out the window of the old Astor Mansion. A puff of cigarette smoke fogged the already mucky air of the room and blurred the window with fog. Even in the blurred fractions of the glass he could make out the figures below. Three males, the Coven Guardians who had escorted the new girl from her last post stood in silent attention. Two of the men carried bags, allowing the new slayer to carry nothing. One walked beside the new girl as protection though Connor was certain she wouldn’t need it.

“The new Slayer.” Brianna nodded, wrapping an arm around her mates waist as she affirmed his question. With a short huff, Conor responded to Brianna’s movement, running his hand through her coarse black hair.

“She will be good.” Connor nodded, watching the new girls swift figure move along with the fog that surrounded her. She wore a torn black t-shirt and a pair of black jeans that she had probably been wearing a week before the journey began. “ From which pack did she come?” Conor asked after a moment.

“From Barbaras in the North Waste.” Brianna responded, looking up at her mates god-like features. It was true that Conor was one of, if not the best Hunter in the West Waste and even though Mikon ran the group it was Conor who all the Hunters and Slayer’s rallied under. It was he who led the pack into war. He wasn’t just god-like, but a god himself Brianna thought.

“Is she mixed or pure?” Conor questioned as they continue to watch the figures moving below in them in the last few rays of dawn.

“No one has seemed to be able to answer that.” Brianna admitted, knowing that Conor wouldn‘t like the answer. As expected Conor didn’t respond, only giving her his usual, thoughtful grunt.

“No one seems to be able to answer enough questions in this place.” Conor sighed in frustration.

“Do you think she has the Dark in her?” This question came from Brianna.

“I can not tell.” Conor shook his head ever so slightly, just enough to send his midnight-black hair dancing behind him and making him look ever more godly in Brianna’s opinion. “One can never be certain.” He said, taking another drag of the cigarette.

“The Dark is how the coven has survived.” Brianna replied, “But it is dwindling. The Dark is the only reason Mikon accepted her transfer to our group. What will happen if she does not have it?”

“The Dark is a secret known only to our Coven. If she does not have it, she will be dealt with.” Conor said coldly, as if the matter was nothing. As if the new slayer wasn’t even human. The coldness in his voice sent a shiver down Brianna’s back. She watched in silence as the bodies continued to move below them, a part of her praying for the Slayer’s sake that the girl had the Dark in her.

“Daphne will know.” Conor said breaking the sudden silence. “Have Murrium bring her to the dining hall.”

“Of course.” Brianna nodded, though she didn’t move from his side.

“Tonight could change the tide of the war.” Conor said, his voice husked and quiet. Almost as if he didn’t want to say it.

“Could it truly?” Brianna questioned, wide eyed.

“Yes, it could.” Conor nodded, not looking away from the window, “Go ,my love, to Murrium. Then prepare for the Welcoming. For tonight, we welcome a new future…”