On My Own

Fifteen

Matt’s arm slid around me as he sipped his coffee. I nuzzled against his collarbone and neck. He set his coffee on the end table and rubbed one of my legs that were across his lap. Bella jumped up and laid down next to us on the couch. “I kind of need to tell you something,” I mumbled, looking up at my boyfriend.

“Yes?” Matt asked, looking down and pressing his lips softly against my temple.

“I told Stephanie about us yesterday,” I mumbled, closing my eyes. I felt Matt tensed and sighed. “I swear she’s not going to tell. She actually knew that there was something going on. And she knows that she can’t tell anyone.”

“Are you sure?” Matt questioned. I looked back up at him and nodded. “Alright.” Matt leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. I cupped his cheek and leaned up to press our lips more against one another’s. The door opened and we pulled away.

“Good morning,” Brian greeted.

“What’re you doing here?” Matt questioned, moving his hand up to my hair and twirling it. I rested my head back against his chest. “Want some coffee cake?” Matt gestured to the partially eaten cake on the coffee table. Brian sliced himself a piece and sat at the couch opposite of us.

“Just stopping by; Johnny called me this morning,” Brian said. “We’re heading to Vegas for a few nights and wondered if you could watch Pinkly.” Matt nodded. “Thanks. Do you guys have more coffee?”

“I’ll go get you a cup,” I offered. Brian thanked me and told me he wanted creamer and sugar. I got up and went into the kitchen.

“You seem really happy,” I heard Brian tell Matt.

“I am,” Matt said. “I really am. Adeline’s amazing.”

“You know this is the happiest I’ve seen you since last December,” Brian commented.
“She’s the most amazing person in the world,” Matt said. I walked into the room and handed Brian in coffee. He thanked me and my phone chimed on the table.
Hey, Dad asked if you could come to my house before twelve so he can meet you before he has to go to his office.’

I snuggled into Matt. I kissed his cheek and smiled at him. “Could you drop me off at Stephanie’s house please?” Matt nodded. Matt told Brian he’d be back soon and I got my bag and shoes. I asked Stephanie for her address and Matt drove. “Thanks.”

“It’s no problem,” Matt chuckled, pecking my lips. “Have fun with Steph.” I nodded and cupped his face, pressing my lips against his. His hands gripped my waist, pulling me on top of his. I laughed against him and my butt pressed against the truck’s horn.

“Alright, I’m leaving,” I giggled, opening Matt’s door and hopping out. I closed the door and walked up, gasping at the bungalow. I reached the door and rang the doorbell. Matt honked his horn at me and Stephanie opened the door. “Bye Matt!” I waved and walked into Stephanie’s house. “Hey.”

“Hey,” she greeted. She motioned for me to follow her and walked through the house. “Dad! Ade’s here.”

“That sounds bad,” I snickered. Stephanie burst out laughing as a guy walked down the stairs. I offered a hand for him to shake. “Hi, I’m Adeline.”

“I know,” he told me, ignoring my hand and pulling me in for a hug. “I’m David Collins, Stephanie’s dad. You can call me whatever you’d like.” I nodded and smiled at him. “Come, let’s have lunch.” We walked into the kitchen and Stephanie and I sat down at the breakfast nook. David pulled a few plates out and set them in front of us. He pulled stuff out of the fridge and piled it onto our plates. He sat down and we tucked in. “Stephanie told me you ran away from home.”

“I did. I’m from Los Angeles,” I explained.

“Dad, get on with it,” Stephanie laughed. He chuckled and nodded.

“Well, like Stephanie told you, we have an extra bedroom if you’re interested. But, there are a few rules,” he told me. I nodded. “There is no smoking under my roof. It decreases house value so much…” Dave shook his head. I nodded.

“I don’t smoke,” I said.

“Just making sure. Second, if you bring any guys here, I have to meet them.” Stephanie rolled her eyes and I giggled. “Also, I know you have a boyfriend, so if you’re going to stay the night at his house, please just write a note or something. Do you have a cellphone?” I nodded and pulled it out. “Prepaid?” I nodded again. “Alright. I’d like for you to have the home number and my cell number, just in case something happens.”

“Alright,” I agreed.

“And last thing. If you ever need money, like let’s say you have to go buy minutes or something for your cellphone, please feel free to ask,” Dave said. “Welcome to the family.”

“Thank you,” I told him.

“Stephanie can show you where your room is. I have to go check over some designs,” Dave said, standing up. He ruffled my hair and kissed the top of Stephanie’s head. “I’ll pick up take out for dinner.” He left and Stephanie and I squealed.

“Thank you so much!” I said to her, giving my best friend a hug.

“It’s nothing,” she laughed, getting up and dragging me by the arm. “But you have to see what Dad did.” She dragged me upstairs and opened a door. “This is your room.” There was a large bed in room, along with dressers, a chair and television. She walked through the room and opened up the closet doors. “Dad went a little crazy.” I gasped as the doors revealed a closet full of clothes and shoes, all organized by type and color.

“You guys are truly the most amazing people I’ve ever met,” I whispered, tears in my eyes. She gave me a hug and laughed.

“What’re sisters for?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments/Thoughts? Subscribe? It's supposed to be twenty-eight degrees in two days...Im scared.