On My Own

Twenty-Five

“So, can I have a laptop pass?” I asked after Creative Writing. I walked up to Matt’s desk and picked up his iPod. Matt nodded and started writing on a white pad of paper. “Where do I go to get it?” Matt gave me an ‘are-you-serious?’ look. “I’ve never gotten a laptop here before.”

“You check them out at the library,” Matt explained. “Go to the cafeteria and take the hallway opposite of this one. It’s at the end of the hall. When the library, go up to the desk and show the Miss Block your pass.” I nodded and slipped the pass into my pocket. The bell rang. I grabbed his iPod off his table and started heading towards the cafeteria. I found the hallway Matt told me about and walked down it. I found the library and walked inside. I walked up to the librarian’s desk. I gave her my pass.

The librarian had to be in her lower thirties. Her dishwater blond hair was up in a bond with a lot of frizz. She was wearing a floral dress with a coral-orange cardigan. She had giant, gold glasses with a chain. There was a picture of four cats lying on a couch and I had to stop myself from sniggering.

“I think you’re the first person to ever get a pass from Matt, I mean Mr. Sanders,” Miss Block told me. “Do you like his study hall?” I rolled my eyes. “He has a good smile. I always wondered what he looked like in a tight shirt without sleeves.”

“Could you get me my fucking laptop?” I demanded. My eyes widened when I realized what I had just said.

“Excuse me? With that language, no, you can go back to class. And I will be calling your teacher to write you up,” she told me. “Now. Out.” I speed walked out of the library and headed back the way I came. I entered Matt’s room and he raised an eyebrow.

“Did you get lost?” He questioned. I walked to his desk and bit my lip. “What’d you do?”

“She kept talking about you and I asked her to get my fucking laptop, so she told me to leave. Then she said she was going to call you to punish me,” I explained. “I could handle being asked if I liked your study hall but she had to mention your smile and what you look like in a tight, sleeveless shirt.” Matt grinned at that. He then told me I could work at his computer and something about no swearing in school.

I pulled a chair behind Matt’s desk and began looking up how to change my name on the computer. A few minutes later, Matt’s classroom phone rang. He talked and said he knew what happened. He told Miss Block that he had talked to me about it and that he did not want to meet her cats. “You don’t want to meet her four kitty-cats?” I giggled, writing down the legal process I had to do to get my name changed.

“I hate cats,” Matt muttered, shaking his head. “Did you figure out how to change your name?” I explained how I had to fill paperwork out and go to a courthouse. The courthouse will give me a list of newspapers and I have to pick one to publish my name change in for a month and then I go back to court for a Decree Changing Name. Then, I can go get a legal id, birth certificate and drivers’ license. But, that meant announcing I was Brittany Perkins.

The bell rang and I forwarded the documents I needed to fill out to Stephanie’s email. Stephanie walked into the class room and asked how my research was. I explained what I had just showed to Matt and we waited for him to get ready to leave. “Have you talked to Zacky today?” Matt asked my best friend. I snickered as Stephanie nodded. “He knows what time to be ready, right?”

“Yup; he knows what time you’re picking him up,” she told Matt. Matt nodded and picked his bag up. We left Matt’s classroom and walked to the parking lot. I gave Matt a smile and wave as I turned with Stephanie towards the student one. We got into Stephanie’s car and drove to Starbucks. I greeted my boss and he gave me my uniforms and a handbook to review tonight.

Stephanie and I got to the house and went to her laptop. Stephanie and I read through the documents that I had sent to her email, filling them out while going through. We finished filling the papers out and printed them out. I left Stephanie’s room and went to mine to get ready for the double date Matt and I had with Stephanie and Zacky. Matt had said to be more on the dressy side, so I changed into a strapless blue dress. I sprayed some perfume in the necessary areas: wrists, neck, boobs and vagina.

I decided I wanted to paint my nails, so I began filing my nails. I washed my hands before painting them a deep red. I painted my toes to match and then applied a clear coat of polish on top. I kept my makeup simple with just a little eyeliner and lip gloss. I brushed my hair and decided to leave it as it was. I put on the bracelet from Matt. I stretched out my arm and admired the gold chain. The few diamonds sparkled and I smiled.

“Oh my God!” Stephanie yelled from her room. I got up and ran across the hall to her room. “I think I may of just figured out how to make your name change private so barely anyone knows!” I looked at the screen and grinned at my best friend slash sister.

“Stephanie, you’re a genius!” I shouted, hugging her. “How the hell did I miss that?”

“I’m just really good at researching. I wanted to take one final look and found this,” she explained. The doorbell rang and we both squealed. “Let’s go tell the boys the good news!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts/Comments? Subscribe?