On My Own

Thirty-One

Two weeks later, Matt pulled his truck into a cemetery and drove around the lot. He finally stopped and parked the car. I reached and squeezed his hand. He looked at me and smiled. “Are you ready to meet Jimmy?” Matt asked. I nodded and Matt took his keys out of the ignition. I opened my door and slid down until my heels hit the pavement. Matt walked over and pulled me into his side. He shut my door and led me through the graveyard. He finally stopped at one and I looked down.

James Owen Sullivan
February 9, 1981 – December 28, 2009
FoREVer

“Forever?” I asked Matt.

“We used to have nicknames that were going to be our stage names. Jimmy’s was The Rev,” Matt explained. I smiled and nodded. I got down on my knees and waved at the tombstone.

“It’s nice to meet you, Jimmy,” I whispered. “Matt’s told me great things about you. I’m Adeline.” I pulled out a small wreath from my purse and set it up. “I’m glad you never gave up on your dream.” I pulled a few weeds out of the ground and smiled. “I wish I could’ve really known you. Your friends are incredible, especially Matt.”

I looked up at my boyfriend and he crouched down next to me. He slid his arm around me and used his other hand to touch the tombstone. Matt didn’t say anything, but I had a feeling that Jimmy knew what Matt was saying and that was what mattered.
After a while, Matt got up and helped me stand. Matt pressed a kiss to my temple and I waved goodbye to Jimmy. We walked back to the truck and Matt helped me up. He got into the truck and I turned to face him. “Thank you,” I told him. “I’m glad I got to meet him.” I leaned and kissed his cheek.

“Thank you for meeting one of my best friends,” Matt replied, starting the car. He left the cemetery and started driving. He pulled into a McDonald’s and went through the drive-through. The first thing he ordered was a large Pepsi for me before asking what else I wanted. I told him my order and Matt ordered my cheeseburger and fries before ordering himself a Big Mac, fries and a diet Pepsi.

We ate while Matt drove me home. Matt parked his truck and I collected the trash in a bag. We got out of his truck and walked to the door. I pulled at my key. “I like having this,” I giggled. Matt laughed in response. We walked inside and my eyes widened at the large banner that read ‘Congratulations, Grad!!’

“Surprise!” Voices yelled at me.

“What the heck?” I asked. Stephanie ran up and gave me a huge hug. “What’s going on?”

“Your diploma came,” Stephanie squealed. I screamed and jumped. Brian, Matt, Stephanie, Johnny, and Zacky laughed at me.

“Where is it?” I asked, looking around.

“Right here,” David said, coming in with Wendy behind him. He gave me a hug and kissed my cheek. “Way to go, sweetheart.” I smiled and took my diploma from him.

“There’s something else. I pulled a few strings and got your name approved,” Wendy said, handing me a folder. I gave my best friend’s mom a hug.

“Thank you,” I said. “Wow.” Everyone laughed again and Zacky, Brian and Johnny each claimed a hug from me.

“Any idea what you want to do now, Adie?” Johnny asked.

“I have no idea,” I replied. “There’s a lot options. I think I’m going to look into just getting the basics done, since almost every degree requires that and then I’ll go from there”

Everyone understood my choice to not pick anything. In all honesty, I really never thought about my future. I had no idea what I wanted to be. Even as a kid I sucked at picking careers. Two years ago, I had to do a research paper on what I wanted to become when I was an adult and I just faked the whole report. Hopefully after a while in college, I’d find a career that would suit me.

“Why don’t we have cake?” Dave suggested. The guys ran into the kitchen, causing me and Stephanie to laugh. “Men.” David shook his head before heading into the kitchen. “Adeline gets first piece!” There were groans and I laughed.

Stephanie and I went into the kitchen and I was handed my slice of chocolate cake with orange frosting. Matt walked next to me and I stole some of his frosting. “Stealing isn’t nice,” he chuckled. I shrugged and grinned up at him. Matt scooped up some frosting and put it on my nose.

“Hey!” I said, grabbing a napkin and wiping my nose clean. Matt chuckled and kissed me. “Alright, you can do whatever you want.” Matt laughed and Brian pretended to gag. Johnny snickered, causing Zacky to roll his eyes. Stephanie just shook her head. “Oh grow up!”

“Did Adie really tell us to grow up?” Johnny asked. “Adie, we have ten years on you at least.”

“It’s sad then that I’m more mature than you,” I laughed. Stephanie nodded in agreement. “Go eighteen-year-olds!” Stephanie and I fist-bumped with an explosion after the collision.

“I think you just lost your maturity,” Brian laughed.

A while later, I was sitting on Matt’s lap with his arms around my middle and chin on top of my shoulder. Zacky and Stephanie were on my left with her legs across Zacky’s lap and feet on mine. Brian was on the other side, looking a little lonely and Johnny was laughing on the other side of Zacky and Stephanie. I leaned back, into Matt a little more and he tightened his hold as we watched A-Team. Stephanie’s parents were talking on the deck and I knew they were watching us.

This felt more like a family than I had ever felt. It was way more than my real family, if you could call them that, and more than my best friends. Right here was where I belonged, and I had no plans of leaving.
♠ ♠ ♠
So that's that...My plan is to have a short-story sequal, Wonderful Time of the Year, and then a oneshot and,depending on my readers mostly, I'll began a real sequal. For anybody interested, my new Matt story, Set Fire To The Rain will begin either tomorrow or Monday.

I'd like to thank everybody for reading, subscribing and commenting. You guys are amazing:)
<3Tallie