On My Own

Nine

“We just had someone quit a few days ago. Do you want me to ask my boss if he has any openings?” Stephanie asked as we sat down at the lunch table. “I know Starbucks isn’t the best job in the world, but it’s better than nothing, right?”

“Would you mind?” I questioned, opening my bottle large bottle of Pepsi. I took a large sip and set it down. I rested my head in my hands and rubbed my temples. “I need money.”

“I’m almost positive he’ll hire you,” Stephanie said. I smiled and stole one of her fries. “What’re you up to this afternoon?”

“Hanging out with Matt,” I explained. “He has stuff to do for work until about five, but I’m going to his place right after school to walk his dog for him. I’m going to try sneaking in a quick load of laundry.” Stephanie laughed.

“So, I’m guessing everything’s going good with him?” I nodded and blushed. “Does he have any friends?” I laughed and shrugged. “If he has any hot ones, hook me up please!” I held my stomach and laughed out loud. “I’m serious!”

“Okay, if Matt has hot friends, I will hook you up,” I agreed as the bell rang. I picked up my soda and stole the fry tray that was practically full. “I’m stealing since I have study hall.” She nodded and I walked to my study hall. Matt’s eyes were glued to his computer screen. I took a seat and took a sip of my soda. “What’re you reading?” He held up one finger and I rolled my eyes. I dragged a chair that was sitting at a table off the side and placed it in front of my desk. I sat down and put my feet on the seat.

“Have you heard about that girl from Los Angeles that disappeared about two weeks ago?” Matt questioned. I nodded, pressing my glasses towards my face. “The police just found out that someone spotted her walking into a guy’s house that was a friend of her brother’s. He’s been charged multiple times for making fake i.d.’s and they think she ran away.”

“Maybe she had a reason,” I said, eating a French fry. “I saw on the news that all her friends knew she would run away from home.” Matt nodded and began taking roll call. “I’m bored.”

“Do you have homework to do?” Matt questioned.

“Nope. Nada. None,” I replied. Matt told me to come over to his desk. I got up and he handed me a stack of paper and a box of crayons. I eyed his iPod sitting on his desk and he rolled his eyes, but placed it on top of the crayons. I grinned and went back to my desk.

I spent the whole half hour drawing a picture while listening to Matt’s iPod. I drew a ninja fighting a penguin with Chuck Norris waiting to take on the winner while it was raining pickles. I drew me and Matt standing on the side, looking half amused and half confused. The whole last hour of class, I colored it in.

When the bell rang, I waited until my classmates left before going up to Matt’s desk. “So, what’d you draw?” He asked. I smiled and handed it to him. “Is that a ninja fighting a penguin?” I nodded. “And Chuck Norris looking like he’s about to just step in and kill them both since they won’t finish each other off?” I nodded again. “Why’s it raining pickles?” I shrugged. “And there’s us looking badass.” He grinned and I gave him back his iPod. “Are you sure you don’t want money for a cab?”

“It’s a short walk from here,” I told him. “No more than twenty minutes.” He nodded and I threw out my empty soda bottle and the cardboard tray. I swung my bag over my shoulder and waved before leaving the school. I walked the two miles to Matt’s house and did the security code on the garage. I heard Bella scratching the door and quickly went inside. “Hi, girl!”

Bella tackled me to the ground and began licking my face. I laughed and rubbed her head. “Okay, okay, we’ll go for a walk!” I laughed. I put my phone in my pocket and slid Bella’s leash on her. I walked her first in Matt’s yard so she could do her business and then around Matt’s neighborhood.

When we were tired, we went back to the house. I closed the door behind me and set Bella free. I emptied my bag and threw most of my clothes, excluding one dress that was clean, into the washer. I stripped of the clothes I was wearing and put them in the washer too. I added detergent and turned the machine on.

I ran through Matt’s house and to his bedroom with my bag. I went through the bedroom and into his bathroom. I grabbed my razor and took a shower, letting the hottest water possible hit my body. I washed my body, enjoying the feeling of being completely clean, and washed my hair. I stole one of Matt’s towels and dried myself off. I brushed my hair and slid into my dress. I took out my toothbrush and cleaned my teeth before going downstairs.

I put my clothes into the dryer and laid down on the couch. Bella jumped up and curled up next to my feet. I rubbed her with my foot and turned the television on. “What should we watch, girl?” Bella didn’t reply, of course, so I continued flipping through channels before putting on Viva La Bam. I set the remote down and closed my eyes.

“Adeline,” I heard a voice gently whisper. I wrinkled my nose and kept my eyes closed. I felt myself get lifted in Matt’s arms and snuggled against his chest. Matt laid me down on his bed and kissed my forehead. I smiled and he placed a blanket over me. I felt Bella jump on top of the bed next to me and Matt chuckled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts/Comments? Subscribe? My parents went to their friends to drink and left me with my grandma..