Saving Darcy

#1

She was not looking forward to another detention with Mr Haner. She needed to get home 'on time' according to her father, or else. But she couldn't risk failing Math just because her father wanted his meals on time. It wasn't going to happen, no matter how difficult both the men were trying to make it, she would prove both of them wrong.

She spent most her day going over the Math notes she had jotted down, seeing if she could make sense to them. Normally the numbers would fix themselves in her brain, but today they just weren’t playing the game. The quiet spot she normally sat at by herself had been over-taken by a bunch of Junior's blaring out some pop music, the kind she hated and the Cafeteria was a complete no go. She just settled for a spot behind the bleachers with only a couple of Freshmen sat behind it. Adjusting her glasses she sighed, closing her notepad and remembered what she would have to go home to after he detention with Mr. Haner.

Her father had always been a strange man for as long as she could remember. Even when she was a kid he didn't really pay her much attention, only giving her a dollar to go and get some more sweets when she got bored and leaving her alone at night to visit their local bar. Her most vivid memory of being little was he father coming home from one of his late-night trips and crying his heart out over her mother. She had never met her mother, she died giving birth to her according to her father, she could never believe him for some reason.

Looking at her watch she figured she better go to her detention, she didn't want to be late for that as well and piss him off even more. She grabbed all of her books and pulled them to her chest heading towards the Math room. She knew he would be in there waiting for her, smelling of cigarettes and chewing at his lip unaware of all the girls staring at him through the classroom window, drooling.

Darcy knocked one on the glass of the door before struggling to push down the handle due to all the books in her hand, she just decided to kick it open instead. As expected he was perched back on his chair staring at her with that familiar arched brow and bit lip. She smiled at him before turning around and closing the door suddenly noticing the quiet music he had playing.

“Take a seat.”

She did as she was told and sat on the seat her had gestured to, placing the books on her desk with a thud. He jumped slightly and looked up at her.

“Is there a reason you're late all the time Darcy?” He asked in a friendly tone, crossing his muscled arms over his chest and leaning back in his chair, keeping eye contact with her.

She cleared her throat taken back by the question, “I-I woke up late.”

He nodded, “I thought you came here early everyday because your father dropped you off...”

Her mouth fell open slightly, “I- He does.” She sighed, “It's kind of personal, I don't want to talk about it.”

His mouth twitched before he decided that he had said enough, “If you have any homework, just get on with it.”

She nodded frowning and looking down at her Math revision book. She decided to just flick through that, pretending she was reading over something.

Mr. Haner was the type of guy you expected to be working in a tattoo parlour or to be on stage with a guitar, not a Math teacher. She had heard him on the phone plenty of times discussing 'tours' and money so she had figured he was in a band and was trying to earn some cash to go on the road. He wasn't ugly, he was far from it actually he was quite handsome with a cute pointy nose and a very firm jawline, not the mention the most beautiful eyes, she understood why he got all the female attention.

“Yes?” He said clearing his throat.

She jumped away from her day-dream blushing a bright red, “Sorry I was just daydreaming.”

“That's fine.” He replied in a weirdly cool way.

She glanced up to see him smiling at her and she suddenly felt extremely uneasy, she had to look away. She glanced down at her watch to see it was well past four. Her father was gunna' flip.

“Is it okay if I leave?”

He nodded, “Yeah, sure.”

She gathered up all of the things swallowing hard before turning around and bumping right into his chest. She gasped and took a step backwards, “Sorry.”

“I'm always here if you want to talk, don't hesitate.” His tone of voice was scaring her, it wasn't the sort of way a teacher would talk to his student.

“Thank you, I've really got to go...” She mumbled pushing past him and sliding out of the door, closing it harshly behind her. She tried to catch her breath as she looked up and down the hall, not wanting to bump into anyone again. She decided it was clear and thought that she could take a short cut through the gym. She turned down another hall only to be met with someone crouched down on the floor, he turned and she noticed those green eyes right away.

He frowned and looked down at his wrist watch, “A bit late for you to be coming out huh?”

She nodded slowly, “I, Uh had a detention.”

“Oh wow, until this time? That sucks.” He shrugged placing a silver trophy back into his place and closing the wooden case, locking it with a key around his neck, “They've definitely changed since I've left school.”

She smiled weakly, not really knowing how to speak to him. She had never spoken to a guy before, especially not a older guy, “I-I've really got to go.”

“Sure, see ya.” He flashed her a quick smile before bending down and picking up a broom and walking off in the opposite direction. She sighed and swallowed hard, feeling slightly sick at the thought of going home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Keep? Delete? I'm not sure yet...
This is only a quick draft, so sorry for any incorrect grammar.