Saving Darcy

#2

She was late again. Late again. And just her luck, she had Math first period with Mr. Haner. Her father had decided to stop off at the gas station and purposely make her late again, she knew it, she could tell by the smile on his face he was enjoying ever second of it. She really hated him.

She froze as she went to grab the handle, inhaling and then exhaling, 'calm down' she thought to herself. She pushed open the door and all heads turned her way, causing her to feel completely stupid. Mr. Haner stopped talking and sighed deeply, but then his expression changed. She obviously hadn't covered up her black eye as best as she could. He just gestured to her seat at the back of the classroom and continued to talk.

“Way to go Darcy, late again?”

She ignored their comments and just pulled out her notebook. Today she was going to engage in the lesson, no matter what happened. She needed to learn something or else she could kiss goodbye to her Scholarship, and that would be quite literally the end of her life. She listened carefully as Mr. Haner talked about geometry, and for once she found herself concentrating on what he was saying, she found herself learning something.

The bell rang on time and Mr. Haner dismissed the class, “Darcy a word please.”

She cringed, this was it. He was going to ring her father and make him even more angry than he already was. She just sat down in her seat at the back of the class, not wanted to go any closer to him after what happened to her yesterday. The last person out slammed the door and suddenly the room filled with a wry silence.

“Come closer please.”

She did as he asked and moved to the front desk, sliding onto her seat awkwardly and looking up at him. He had a unreadable expression across his face, his arms crossed tight over his chest.

“What's your excuse this time?” He asked sounding slightly bored and pissed off.

She was fed up with lying, “I haven't got one.”

“Just like you haven't got an excuse for that black eye.” He said quickly, his expression not even changing.

Her eyes widened, “Actually I-”

“Tripped over a step?”

Her breathing hitched, how could he be so rude? She didn't know where to look, so she just looked down, “It's got nothing to do with you, it's none of your concern.”

He seemed to let slip a small animalistic growl from under his breath, “Of course it's my concern. I'm not stupid Miss Scott, I won't sit by and let one of my top students fail her class because she's got a crappy home life.”

Darcy felt defeated, she felt stupid, she felt humiliated. She just wanted to sink into the chair she was sat in and disappear from this school and appear in her bedroom. He was her teacher not her ... friend.

“I don't want to talk about it.” She mumbled grabbing her stuff and heading towards the door. But she was stopped. By him. He had pushed himself in-front of her and jammed himself against the door so that she couldn't get out. He had trapped her.

She stepped back and frowned up at him, “Mr. Haner I'm sure this is against the law...”

“Tell me Darcy, tell me what's happening to you.”

He sounded like an obsessed boyfriend, he was scaring her. His kind tone of voice had disappeared, he had changed within a second. He suddenly sounded extremely pissed off and obsessive, he wasn't go to let this go, but neither was she. He was her teacher.

“Let me out now.” She said harshly. But he didn't budge, in fact he pressed himself even closer to the door.

“Tell me dammit!” He practically yelled.

She was terrified, completely scared out of her head. She had a close relationship with her teacher, they had always got along, she just never thought he would re-act like this, and now he was cussing and shouting at her. She hated being shouted at.

“M-my dad drinks.” She blurted out on the verge of tears, “Please let me out.”

His posture softened and he exhaled deeply, “Darcy I..”

But she couldn't talk to him, not after that. She pushed him lightly to the side and slid out of the classroom, tears trickling down her face. She sniffed loudly and decided to run through the gym and out through the parking lot. It was raining but she guessed that was a good thing, the passing cars couldn't see her tears. She didn't know why she was crying, it could be because her teacher (somebody she should be able to trust) had just threatened, cussed and got extremely angry with her or it could be just the fact everything was slowly falling apart around her.

It was already slightly dark, it was winter after all, so the cars had all their headlights on. The busy traffic from the school had long gone, only the odd car passing now and again. It was safe to say that she was completely drenched, not that anybody actually cared.

The horn of a car nearly made her jump out her skin. Her first thought was that it was Mr. Haner coming after her, but then she realised that he didn't drive this way and that he didn't own a silver BMW. The blacked out window rolled down and there sat green eyes, frowning at her. He leant over the passengers seat and opened the door for her. She just shrugged, even if he was a rapist/murder it would be better than going home and facing her father.

She shut the door behind her and shuffled awkwardly.

“Why the hell are you walking home in this weather?” He asked shocked, “Didn't your teacher drop you off?”

She shook her head slowly, “No, he didn't.”

“Where do you live? I'll give you a ride.” He smiled politely putting the car into drive and slowly going forwards waiting for directions.

“Sixth Av.” She replied quietly, knowing that if he was local he would know exactly what she was talking about.

He turned to her once and then turned back to the road, “You live that far away and you was going to walk in the rain?”

She nodded and pursed her lips together shyly, he seemed nice enough, but she had never spoken to a guy as hot as him (Except Mr. Haner). It was silent for a moment, and she couldn't stand the awkwardness.

“How long have you been a Janitor?” She blurted out, her words coming out a little fast than she had planned.

“Not long, I only started a couple of weeks ago. It's just some money to keep me by.” He shrugged.

“Oh, I was going to say you look a little young to be a janitor.”

He turned to her, “Oh, yeah? How old do I look?”

She blushed un-able to look at him, “Um, about twenty?”

“Close, I'm twenty three.”

She nodded slowly before turning to look out the window.

“What's your name sweetheart?” He asked her. Her heart thudded in her chest. She had never been called that before, ever. For some reason it felt okay coming from him.

“Darcy.” She replied trying not to let her voice croak on her, “What's yours?”

“I'm Zacky.” He replied with a small smile, “Darcy.” He repeated, “That's a cute name, your parents make that up?”

She chuckled, “No, my mother, I was told, came from England so they got it from that.”

He just nodded, turning the car slightly and putting it in park, “Well here you go Darcy.”

She unbuckled the seat belt and flashed him a shy smile, “Thank you.”

“Don't mention it, I'll see ya.”

And with that she stepped out of the car and he drove off. Leaving her alone with nothing but the cold thoughts of today, and knowing she just about the feel the same wrath she felt every night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I'm starting to enjoy writing this story, so I'll see how it goes with the next few chapters and depending on the comments and subs I get :)