Break the Ice

Chapter 1

I swear, if that child kicks the back of my seat one more time...

I hate buses at the best of times, but this was actually hell.

I pulled the earphones out of my ears and turned round to glare at the mother of the devil child that was still happily kicking my seat. I coughed sharply to drag her attention away from her magazine. Surely the banging noise was distracting her?

Obviously not, as she just glanced up towards me, then looked at her child, shrugged her shoulders and carried on reading. Oh.My.God. How rude?

I thought about causing a massive scene, but decided against it. We were still an hour or so away from Edinburgh and I didn't want to risk getting kicked off the bus, so I just sighed dramatically, gathered my stuff and stomped off to an empty seat nearer the back of the bus.

I sat back down and flicked my ipod volume up to full, to block out the noise of the seat still being kicked. I shut my eyes to try and get to sleep, even though it was 6.30pm but all I could think about was the evening's plans.

I was on my way to visit Jemz, we have so much to catch up on since she moved to Edinburgh to go to college back in June. I missed talking to her everyday, she's always so busy now. It's kinda tough to stay best friends with someone if you live 4 hours away. But here I was, on a bus, visiting her for a week. She wanted me to meet her new boyfriend, Teddy.

I don't know why, but she has always asked for my judgement on her boyfriends. It's not as if I was the more confident one between us, in fact I was the complete opposite. She never listened to what I thought anyway, if I didn't like them, she would listen to my reason, ignore me and when it would all go wrong she would admit that she knew I was right all along...she just wanted to know what was going to happen, not wanting to be set-up for a fall. Every time this happened I would just roll my eyes and wait for the next guy to come along. Apparently Teddy was different though. Que another eye roll.

My thoughts were interrupted by my mobile buzzing in my pocket, I paused my music and answered my phone, giggling at the silly picture Jemz had set as her caller image.

"Hello?"

"Heyaaaaaa, where are you?"

Crap where was I? I'd been thinking for so long, I'd lost track and the bus was already in Edinburgh, making it's way slowly along Princes Street, towards the bus station.

"Erm...We're on Princes Street I think. Just going past...Next. Yeah, that's it. We'll be 5 minutes I think."

"Okay, I'll run down and meet you in the bus station. Teds, get my shoes pleeeaaase?"

"Oh, Teddy's there is he?"

I raised my eyebrow, not that Jemz could see me.

"Yeahhhh, stop it with those dirty thoughts you! He came over to help me kick my flatmate's ass, she's been chucking out my stuff again."

"Oh, okay, I'll see you in few then?"

"Yeah, byeeeeeee!"

"Bye."

I hung up and put my mobile back in my pocket and my ipod back in my bag. I wasn't sure why, but I got the feeling this was going to be an interesting week...