Break the Ice

Chapter 5

Oooh karaoke night. Even better, Rock karaoke. Something to distract me from the certainty of making a complete fool of myself. Jemz went to get everyone drinks while I stood and watched two girls murder a Linkin Park song. Wow, they were awful.

Jemz came over and handed me my drink.

"Oh no, it's them."

"Oh my god, you know them?" I laughed.

"Yes. Unfortunately. Linzi and Lainey. College Class. So annoying." She cringed.

"When are you going to sing for us then?" Teddy asked us both as the guys walked over.

"Teddy I told you, I will NOT sing!"

"You so are! Please!?"

"Don't do puppy dog eyes! Teds! You know I can't say no when you do that. Teds!" Jemz screamed and ran off with Teddy chasing her - still doing puppy dog eyes.

"What's your excuse then?" Alex asked.

"I can't sing." I grinned.

"That doesn't seem to stop some people." said Ed as he raised his eyebrows at the two girls that were still singing. "Surely you can't be as bad as them?"

"Well...no, probably not, but you still aren't get to hear me to find out! You two should sing though!"

Ed and Alex looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders.

"Only if you sing as well."

"Nope, No way."

"Well we're not..."

"Alex..." Ed interrupted, "We're gonna end up singing anyway."

Alex thought for a minute, "Yeah, I suppose you're right."

I watched as they half walked, half stumbled over to the bit where you chose your song. I had to walk over after a couple of minutes to sort out an argument that they were having over which song to sing, Right as I was thinking that Teddy should be sorting this out, (they were his friends after all) he returned with Jemz and ended up choosing their song for them.

"Hey Jem!" squealed one of the girls that were singing earlier, as they both walked up to us.

"Hi Lainey, hi Linzi." said Jemz.

"Aren't you going to introduce us to your friends?"

"If I must..." she muttered under her breath, I coughed to hide my laughter. "This is my best mate Suzi, my boyfriend Teddy and Alex and Ed."

Jemz was now much more drunk than when I had last seen her and she was telling me over and over how much busier this place was, and how we should 'so dance to this song'. Since she had no interest in talking to Linzi and Lainey, obviously i didn't have the choice either. I really didn't want to talk to them, but I was bothered by how much Lainey seemed to be throwing herself at Ed.

I finally gave in to Jemz wanting to dance after she promised to buy me more drink - Lots of alcohol = happy me.

We were all now in various parts of the bar. I was with Jemz on our makeshift 'dancefloor' - i.e. the empty space in front of the karaoke area, though we weren't the only people dancing. I could see Teddy and Alex, they were sitting chatting and laughing at Jemz. But Ed was nowhere to be seen. I told Jemz, and being as helpful as ever, decided to help look for him. In other words I dragged her round the bar as she looked under tables.

I stopped short when I caught a glimpse of him. Wait, was it him? I didn't want to believe it but it was...he was standing there in the corner of the bar, his arms wrapped round Lainey and kissing her...