The Summer Heartache

Welcome to the Tragic Kingdom

"Prima! Primavera wake up!" Prima's eyes fluttered open as she heard Kelley approaching her room. The door opened to reveal her stepmom in a bit of a fluster. "Primavera that nice boy is downstairs. He said he came to sho you around the town." It took awhile for Prima to comprehend the words that came out of her mouth. When she did, she jumped out of bed.

"Oh my God! Go downstairs and stall him as long as you can!" Prima was rushing around collecting clothes for after her shower. Kelley stood there, looking at her in amazement. "What are you doing?!? Go!"

Primavera rushed into the shower and thoughts clouded her head as the warm water cascaded over her. Thoughts of the boy she was so adamently intent on seeing. She had to laugh at herself as she recognised her feelings as a simple school-girl crush. When she got out of the shower she threw on a pair of distressed jeans and her black and white wife-beater. She combed a brush through her hair and sprinted downstairs. She tripped on the third step and tumbled down right onto the feet of Mikey.

"Sorry," she mumbled. He laughed and helped her up. Prima smiled too and felt relieved he didn't think she was a fool.

"That's okay. So I was thinking we could just take a tour of some of the town hotspots so you can be familiar with everything." Mikey said. "Is that okay?"

"Yeah. But how are we gonna get around the town?" Prima asked.

"I drive," he replied.

"Whoa, how old are you?" Prima asked in amazement. She thought he was fifteen, like her. He chuckled.

"Seventeen," he answered. "I forgot that you were Alex's age." Prima smiled at him and motioned to the door. They walked out to his car. A red 60's Mustang. Mikey saw the look of amazement on Prima's face. "My Dad is an investor."

"Is everyone loaded around here?" Prima asked as they got into the car.

"Pretty much," Mikey said as they drove off. "It's pretty boring. Everybody here lives such a sheltered life it's hard to connect with reality. So my friends and I always enjoy going into L.A. as much as possible. I mean real people live there. Not just the rich, fake people that I see everyday." Mikey's words stirred that familiar feeling in Prima's stomach. There was something wrong about this place.

"All this is so unfamiliar to me," Prima started. "I've always lived in different stages to poverty and I arrive in this place where everyone is just born into money. How am I supposed to act?"

"You'll be fine," Mikey replied. "It doesn't take much to get along with the people around here. And if you ever get lost just look out at the ocean and it'll help. You know Vemosagua stands for 'We watch the water' in Spanish."

"On the contrary, the water makes me nervous," Prima admitted.

"Well if you've never lived near the ocean before it will at first," Mikey said. "You'll get used to it after awhile." They pulled into the parking lot of a cafe. "This is where we usually hang out. The Dulce is definitely the coolest place in this town. But I don't want to go in because then we'll never come back out." He gestured to the large group of teenagers standing inside. "The school is just down the street there. Now I have to take you to the beach." Prima smiled at him but inside her guts were in turmoil. As they neared the water it only increased. There is something so wrong about this place.