Star Riddled Skies

"Hoes and Boots and Shit."

"Oo, that looks permanent," I wince when I see Tom fall off his skateboard, right into a brick wall, a brick wall completely the wrong height for a guy. He curls up into a ball, his face clenched in pain, and Kikii struggles up from her position next to me on the grass, hurrying over to him and crouching next to him.

"Dya really think Justin likes me?" I hear my best friend Keira, Ra for short, ask from next to me and I turn to her with an exasperated expression.

"Of course he does! He basically admitted it at that party!"

She looks down, unsure, then lets a dizzily happy smile plaster across her face, "Yay!"
I laugh and wrap one arm round her. We lean against each other, watching Kikii hold her hand out to Tom, who looks up and smiles, slipping his hand into her. Both their grins widen and they stand up together.

"Everyone's happy couples," I said quietly, sadly almost, "Keek and Tom, you and Justin, me and.. Squiggle," I say, referring to my cat. Ra laughs at me a little and pulls me closer.

There's a happy silence until a few seconds later I feel a weight on my back.

I turn round and push the weight off me, they fall to the floor with an oomph and their face falls, "Sorry Sammy," I say to the pouting boy, pulling him into a brief hug. I look over and see Justin already sat next to Ra, both smiling.

There's someone else stood awkwardly at the edge of the group of about 8 guys, making the group numbers shoot up to about 15. I don't recognise them, don't look at them properly until Sam pulls them next to him onto the floor.

"This is Zach, he's my cousin, just moved here," I smile at him and look at him properly. He's cute, to be blunt, amazingly cute. He's got shaggy black hair, almost an emo cut, as if it's growing out a little. He's wearing black skinnies and black and white Vans, and a skinny fit Aiden tee. I look at his eyes and they're a deep chocolate brown, the type you could get lost in, outlined in a little kohl.

"Heyy, I'm Ash, " I say, fighting to keep the blush from my cheeks.

"Heyy.." He says back, shuffling awkwardly in the grass. Someone calls Sam and he bounds off to go and sit with Jess and Kez, who jump on him and pull at his wristbands, running off with them, an age old joke.

I watch them and laugh for a second or two, until I remember that Zach, cute Zach's next to me, and I turn to him, "So.. you going school here too?" I pull at my bright pink vest, with Enter Shikari written across in marker pen, and shift a little so I'm comfy.

He smiles, "Yeah, oh joy,"

"Oh thank god, there's only us," I nod towards the group, "who are okay in school, the rest are just like gang members, with their songs about hoes and booty and shit," I laugh and he laughs too, this cute laugh that makes me feel all weird.

"Argh, I think I have to go soon, Sam just dragged me down here to meet everyone, I have to go unpack," Zach says, his face falling a little.

"Oh... See you at school tomorrow?" I ask him, and he nods. We both hover, unsure of whether to hug, until he gets up and hurries off down the road, turning to wave at me.

"Tell Sam I went back home!" He yells.

"I will!" I yell back, waving madly. I stand up and watch the scene, its manic as usual. Sam is chasing Kez and Jess round the field, eventually catching them and getting his bands back. Tom is skating once more, and Keek's pushing him along, jumping on the skateboard behind him. Someone's up a tree, for some reason I can't quite figure out. I can't see Justin or Ra, and I realise they've legged it somewhere, probably doing something I really don’t want to know. I run up to Sam and jump on his back, dropping back down when he swears at me.

I grab his wrist and pull him a little way from the group. I drop to the floor cross-legged and pull him down with me, "Tell me about Zach,"

He raises an eyebrow at me, "Why?"

"Just 'cause. Please?" He grins, and I know something's wrong. I barely have time to even think about clamping a hand over his mouth, never mind do it, when he's on his feet.

"You like him don’t you!" He yells, pointing at me, making most of the group look towards us.

"No I don’t!" I say, jumping up and standing a foot or two away from him.

"You do!" He gasps, "Ashy's got a cru-ush! Ashy's got a cru-ush!"

I hit him round the arm, "Shut up! No I do not! Shut up Sam you bitch!"

He laughs and dodges off further into the field, "Ashy's got a cru-ush! Ashy's got a cru-ush!" I chase after him, yelling at him to shut the fuck up, until I manage to catch up with him, and push him to the floor. I trip on his huge feet and land next to him, swearing.

"That didn’t go to plan," I say, climbing back up and pulling a face. I hold my hand out to Sam and he almost takes it, until I move it away, "Ha!"

"That was unfair," he mumbles, getting back up.

"Well you said I had a crush on Zach. I've only known the guy ten minutes for God's sake! We said like 5 words to each others!"

"You fancy him!" He keeps persisting, and I hit him again.

"Shut up! I do not fancy Zach!"

The whole place goes silent.

I know something's wrong. I follow everyone's gaze to the gate behind me. "Oh shit," I mutter. Zach's standing at the gate, one hand resting on the catch, as if he just appeared there, and I know he heard what we were saying. Our eyes connect and he blushes, the pink tinge just gracing across his slightly freckled nose and cheeks.

"Uh.. Sam, you gotta get home for food," He says quietly, his voice cracking a little, eyes darting everywhere but me. Sam shoots a look at me for a second, then hops over the gate, and back up the road, which Zach's already taken off up.

Oh great.