Status: fueled by comments :)

Zoom Into Me

Family Emergency

I scanned the thick white pages of the menu in front of me, trying to settle on something to order. The restaurant was quite new, therefore I had no idea of what was their specialty. Tom had arranged for us to meet here, he had reserved us a table and now we all sat quietly trying to choose our meals.

I glanced up for the fourth time and was met by the same pair of brown eyes. The visual contact not lasting more than just a few seconds and once again both of us glancing down.

“Fio, I need to talk to you…in private”

As Tom’s voice broke the silence and got our attention, my friend got up from the seat beside me and followed him towards the front door.

“What’s that about?” I asked worried about their conversation topic. Those two barley knew each other, what could be a “private” talking topic?

“I don’t know…”

The presences of a very cheery waitress interrupted us once again.

“Are you guys ready to order?”

I nodded and ordered a plate of spaghetti and a banana-berry smoothie.

“I’ll have a veggie burger and a coke. The others will be back later to order”

The waitress nodded while scribbling down our selections quickly onto her small pad and then headed to the table across.

“You’re…”

“Vegetarian? Yeah”

It was odd having someone finish your sentences. Even odder when that someone was not your childhood best friend or a relative.

“So tell me more about yourself. What do you work at?”

I mentally laughed at the formality of his words.

“I do different things.”

“Yeah? Like what?”

“Well, I’m a writer. I write novels and some articles on a couple of magazines and newspapers. I’m also a part-time translator and also do photography. Oh, and I’m currently working a my own clothing line as well.. Though, that may take a while.”

He seemed…impressed. Or at least that what I was able to see by his continues nods, smiles and widen eyes.

“Wow, you’re a busy girl”

I nodded, smiling back when I heard my phone vibrate in the pocket of my black cargo pants. Probably not the best way to have dressed for a fancy new restaurant, and my black converse and white tank top weren’t much more suitable, but in my defense I didn’t know it was gonna be this full of people on a Wednesday at such a late hour. I excused myself before taking the call that seemed to be from my mother.

“Mom, hi…”

My mom’s shaky voice on the other side of the line was what made me realize something was wrong.

“What? Oh, god…is he...how bad is it?……I’m actually out with some friends now, but I’ll meet you there in half an hour. Bye, mom”

I quickly jerked myself off of the chair and pulled on my military black jacket, knowing the weather outside wasn’t suitable for wearing a tank top.

“What happened? Is everything ok?” I would have completely ignored the presence of the young man sitting before me, if it weren’t for him talking.

“I-It’s my dad. He’s been in a car accident and I need to get to the hospital as soon as possible…”

“I’ll take you”

I would have reject such offer if it weren’t for the fact that I didn’t have a car of my own and I really needed to get there as soon as possible.

“O-ok. Let me tell Fio first though.”

He pulled on his own leather jacket and we headed outside where we spotted the talking couple. I noticed Fio’s eyes were red and puffy, she had been crying. I explained them the situation and they understood telling us they would cancel our order. As I headed behind Bill towards the parking lot, I turned around and caught a glimpse of Fio walking down the sidewalk towards the nearest bus stop.

Something had happened between those two, but right now I could care less.
♠ ♠ ♠
really short, I know. sorry :(
comment and I'll make the next chapter longer