Overdue

One

"I don't think this is a very good idea."
"Do you think anything we ever do is a good idea?"
"Well, no, but this just seems like it would be worse than normal..."

An eyeroll. That was the only response I was going to get to my guilty conscious speaking up. But what did I honestly expect? For him to agree that this was probably one of the worst ideas we had ever had and turn around now? Of course not. That wasn't how Sidney Crosby did things. I should have known that after a good twelve years of friendship. When Sid got an idea embedded in that deranged little mind of his, it was basically impossible to remove it, unless there was a rather large risk of dying involved. However, this posed no risk of death. Instead, it just involved breaking and entering, as well as a healthy dose of stealing.

"Seriously. Can't you just be civilized and talk to her? I can't really find much point in breaking into the girl's house."
"Our house, Steph. And it's not really breaking in when I have a key and used to live here. Plus, we both know that the last time I tired talking to her, she threw a vase at my head and almost sent me back into the hospital."
"Still. There had to be a better way to do thi..."

My words were cut short by some sort of mysterious noise behind us. We hadn't even reached the lofty apartment of Sid's former fling, but my nerves were already on the brink. I had lost my train of thought once disrupted by a noise that was probably nothing more than the creak of an ancient building. All we had to do was round the corner before we reached the apartment that was to be our victim tonight.

"Seriously, Sidney. I think we should just turn ba..."

Again, I wasn't even able to complete a full sentence before he had slipped his key into the door and pushed it open to reveal a dark, empty apartment inside. I went to grabbed his arm to try one more time and convince him that this was one of the stupidest things we had ever done (though it probably didn't even rank in the top twenty), and turn back now. But, of course, he had already slipped into the black abyss before I had even outstretched my arm.

Taking a deep breath, I followed my best friend into the apartment that I had only seen a time or two. His ex-girlfriend had a deep rooted hatred for me ever since the day we met, and I was all but banned from the Pittsburgh palace within two weeks of them being together. Strangely enough, I couldn't have cared less about my exile, considering I thought the girl to be nothing but an arrogant bitch, but being told that my best friend was off limits seemed to be rather unfair in my mind. Two weeks of dating couldn't erase twelve years of friendship, and she had learned that lesson the hard way.

Now, I wouldn't say that I was the sole reason that Sidney and Jessica called it quits, though I did have quite a hand in it. They weren't right for one another anyways, and I was just speeding up the process that we all know the inevitable. Their breakup had been one of epic proportions, and I couldn't help but laugh whenever I heard the accounts of their fights when I heard them. Very few people knew I had anything to do with their demise, and those who did knew to keep their mouths shut.

"Hurry up," Sidney shouted at me from somewhere deep in the folds of darkness.

As I advanced through the apartment, I ran into more things than I could even come close to counting. Most of them made little noise, but tripping over the dog bed that undoubtedly belonged to the annoying Chihuahua named Captain Pickles, I fell to the ground with a crash that could have awoken the dead.

I heard footsteps rushing towards me, and a light turn out just above my head. Squinting, I rubbed the back of my hands against my eyes. Sidney was crouching next to me within seconds. "What the hell happened?!" He asked as his hand reached over and touched my shoulder.

"Your damn dog," I spat, throwing a chew toy straight at his face, "Now can you PLEASE get what you need so we can go?"

He let out a heavy sigh before leaving me on the floor to fend for myself. I can barely gotten back to my feet whenever I heard him call from the other room. "Stephanie, can you come here? I need your help." Brushing off my shoulders, I walked into the bedroom where the shouts had come from. As soon as I crossed the threshold, I was having jersey's thrown in my face.

"What are these?" I questioned, holding up one of the jerseys that had just hit me square in the nose. Picking up the others, I held them in my arms before turning back and ducking; there was a puck flying at my head. "What the hell?! Watch what you're throwing things!"

"I just need my hockey equipment," Sidney explained, picking up several hockey sticks and skates. "Just carry those and lets go!"

I opened my mouth to say something, but quickly closed it again and allowed myself to mumble incoherent things under my breath. As I made my way to the door as fast as my legs could take me, while trying to gather up these stupid jerseys in my hand. While walking, I tried to readjust the jerseys so I could carry them better, but just as I lifted them in front of my face, I run into something else.

"What the hell, Sid? Why did you..."

Again, my words were cut short when I lowered the bundle of jerseys in my hands to see a shocked Jessica standing at the door, her new big, buff, and rather bulldog looking boyfriend staring us both down.

Shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted something new to write. Hence the Sidney love.
Sorry I haven't updated much lately. I promise I'm going to try and be better with it all.
I just jumped into this story, and I really hope you guys like it!