One More Piece of the Puzzle...

Chapter One.

‘it could be sometime..’
Wonderful, a case which was taking him far from home for long periods of time. Leon Stellar sighed and glanced to his wife, sleeping on the bed whilst he was dressing for the day. Packing for a stay he knew not what the duration would be.
Shirts, trousers, no ties, vests – both bulletproof and normal – windbreaker, FBI tactical uniform, his boots and four registered government guns. Two 9mm safety glocks, a 6 shot revolver – containing all six bullets, though many carrying such a weapon would leave one free. Leon Stellar was cynical of this and believed a weapon was only a use if it was only of use when loaded to its capacity. – and his new favourite toy, FBI issued M4 Carbine. Issued to him only last year when he joined the Bureau’s tactical SWAT team.
He closed the suitcase and struggling to zip it, sat on its lid pulling the zip around. The perfect time for Taylor McLuskie (or as he preferred to call her, Mrs Stellar) to wake up and glance at her husband before laughing and sitting up. “Lee..”
“Tactical equipment.” A man whom believed in short answers was one you could rarely argue with. A virtue learnt from Stellars mother on the many occasions her son had asked why his parents never argued. Knowing the logic well, Taylor climbed from the bed and walked to her husband kneeling next to him.
“You’re sure you want to take this job?”
“Yes.”
“I can’t stop you, but it’s dangerous. Myself and Ryan, we’ll miss you.” A sigh showed her husbands displeasure to her last comment.
“Rolfe is no longer a newbie. He can cope with himself.” He finished zipping the case and stood, the case followed. “Tay, I love you. I’ll call. Every night. Never know. You might get transferred. Just, all I want you to do is look after yourself. Don’t worry about me, then I shall worry about me and self worry? Much on the lines of pity and pity is insufferable.” Another sigh before he hugged her and kissed her gently, both closing their eyes before pulling away with a smile.
A delicate whisper was all he needed. “I love you” before she kissed his cheek and stepped back letting him free access from the bedroom. Something that after leaving the house and struggling his case into his Mercedes, no longer in such an enviable state, and climbing into the front seat, something he regretted her doing as he started the engine and drove down the road in the direction of the airport.
Midway Airport was a semi modern looking building. A mixture of concrete and glass, small amounts of tile panelling gave the building a new look. As with many American airports - post 9/11 especially – Midway looked somewhat like a fortress both inside and out. A fortress of good intention certainly, but a fortress all the same.
Take the entrance for example. Along the top of the door frame anti vandal spikes were placed along the iron beam. The front glass gave the building an open feel, one which made it feel only slightly more comforting. Once inside the metal detecting system reminded him somewhat of a prison, though he had right to bypass as an FBI agent. One who would not be travelling on an general aircraft. Instead New York had paid for a private FBI jet to take him from Chicago to New York. Once passed the scanners was passport control, immigration and reception desks. In and among were different airport stores. Books, refreshments. The usual pointless stuff that annoyed Stellar with its pointlessness. He bypassed each as though they weren’t there. So the modern interior gave some comfort before yet again a person was faced with more scanners, this time as last Stellar bypassed and left the airport for his flight. Unlike the rest of the people here. His flight was one which would not be delayed.

The flight from Chicago to New York was as unpleasant as expected. The flight was uncomfortable, sickening, tiring, ridiculously long and irritably noisy. Though the one thing FBI Special Agent Leon Stellar found himself unable to complain about was the amount of space which he had to himself. Being the only passenger aboard the aircraft, he had a luxurious amount of foot room even in a dingy and uncomfortable FBI craft.
Stepping out into the New York day and taking hold of his case he was more than happy to be out of that damn plane.