Status: On hold

Fragments

chapter 1: part 2

It was dark; that was the first thing Elena noticed. Her head hurt like absolute hell and she could barely remember her own name. Nothing else surfaced in her memory – just: I am Elena, I am Elena, I am Elena. Even that she had to grasp hold of and never loosen her grip, lest it floated away into the darkness forever.

Suddenly, it occurred to her that maybe the darkness was only the backs of her eyelids. She struggled to open her eyes, and struggled and struggled – god, why was this so hard?

A glimpse of light punctured the darkness and all that did was make her struggle harder against her impossibly heavy eyelids. More and more light appeared and finally, Elena could make out a blurry room. She blinked, trying to make the blurriness sharper but that tiny action made her head hurt in an unbearable pain.

“She’s awake!” someone cried, someone with an unfamiliar voice. That was when Elena made out the figures of maybe three or four people. An uncomfortable feeling settled over her – worst case scenario: for some reason, she was tied down to a metal bed with scientists eagerly waiting to test their experiments on her. Best case scenario: she’d fainted and been moved to her bed where her family were waiting for her to wake up.

Memories were starting to surface and she could recall blurry pictures of her parents and a young boy – her brother, maybe. They were slippery and hard to keep but she tried her best.

“Ow...” she mumbled, her voice sounding like it came from someone else’s mouth. It felt like someone was prodding at her head, peeling back the skin and watching the blood drip gleefully. Well, maybe not the last bit – you can’t really feel someone watching gleefully. But it hurt.

The darkness was coming back, offering a place where it didn’t hurt. She drifted to it effortlessly.