Status: Completed. :D

Easier Said Than Done

The Air is Cleared

Grimacing, I wiped my sweaty palms on my skirt, wishing inwardly that I’d picked a different day to try to be more stylish. If I was as nervous as I was before Glee Club even started, I didn’t want to think about how bad I would get when it came closer to the time when I was actually supposed to talk to Sam.

I was completely spacing, stressing, when I heard, “Ellie!” sort-of-shouted at me.

“What?” I questioned, my face reddening with embarrassment.

“You want to do your assignment now?”

“Oh, sure.” I laughed a little bit, showing that it was okay for everyone else to laugh, too. Too bad only Sam, Mercedes, and Kurt got it.

I discussed quickly with Brad, the piano guy, before turning back to the group, smiling as I waited through the intro.

Skies are crying, I am watching
Catching teardrops in my hands
Only silence, as it’s ending, like we never had a chance
Do you have to make me feel like there’s nothing left of me?

You can take everything I have
You can break everything I am
Like I’m made of glass
Like I’m made of paper
Go on and try to tear me down
I will be rising from the ground
Like a skyscraper
Like a skyscraper


When I finished, everyone clapped. “Perfect choice for the theme,” Mr. Schue applauded with a big smile before coughing a little into his shoulder. “Alright, who wants to go next?”

Finn raised his hand to volunteer and I took my seat again between Kurt and Mercedes. Sam shot a look at me, giving me a smile and thumbs up.

I nodded back, hoping it didn’t look too half-hearted, before sitting back in my chair, crossing my arms in front of my chest, and watching Finn try to explain his alterations to Brad.

* * *

After Glee Club ended, Sam and I walked into the hallway, being completely silent. I don’t know why I had an awful habit of not talking after I ask to be with someone solely for that purpose, but I knew I had to quit it if I was going to get anywhere in life.

“So…” Sam looked behind us before pulling me into an empty classroom, closing the door behind us. “What did you want to say about what happened yesterday?”

He looked hurt already, and I hadn’t even said anything else. Swallowing audibly, I took a couple steps back. “Look-”

“Hold on,” he interrupted, which I wasn’t expecting. He paced back and forth for a second, his words going a million a minute. “Please don’t tell me that you’re going to say that you don’t really like me, that you changed your mind. I really don’t think that I can take it right now.” Then, he let out a loud sigh. “And my dad told me not to do that.”

I laughed. “That wasn’t what I was going to do. Actually, I was going to ask if you really liked me or not… Aileen told me that I might just be the convenient rebound, and I didn’t think I could take that.”

We both looked at each other and laughed with a bit of an uncomfortable edge.

“Well, I do like you,” Sam responded, taking a few steps forward with a grin. “I don’t think I realized it until after Quinn and I were over, but…I think I’ve liked you for a while. I just didn’t let myself see it.”

I wanted to tell him the same thing, give him the same reassurance, but I couldn’t. I had absolutely no idea how long I’d liked Sam, since it didn’t even dawn on me until we were about to kiss. So instead of saying anything, I just rested my hand on his cheek and kissed him quickly.

“Do you play basketball?” I asked after I pulled away.

“Uh, no. Only football and baseball. Why?”

“Does that mean that you don’t have anything right now?”

“Nope. I just have some homework.”

A slow grin spread across my face. “Does that mean that you want to come over so we can do it together?”

“Sure,” he agreed.

The two of us walked out of the classroom and down the hallway hand-in-hand, and I felt a happiness that I hadn’t in a long time.

* * *

“What did you get for number thirteen on the Pre-Calc worksheet?” I mumbled, tapping my pencil against the table.

“Uhh…47.63 grams,” he responded before putting his paper back down on the table.

“Oh…” I stared at my answer, 134.7, and wondered how the hell I had gotten there. “Well.”

“What’d you…?” He stopped talking when he saw my answer. Then, he coughed to try to hide the fact that he was close to bursting into laughter. “Well, it’s possible I’m wrong.”

“No. You’re awesome at math.” I groaned a little before erasing the problem like a maniac. “Can you help me?”

“Of course.” He started walking me through the problem, and I couldn’t help but space out for a second as I thought of the irony of this situation. When I used to do my homework around Puck, there was no way in a million years that he’d ever be able to help me with my work. But Sam could. Sam was smart, even to the point of nerdy. In a cute way, obviously.

“See?”

I looked at the work, all done very neatly so it’d be easy for me to follow, and nodded. “Yeah. I didn’t divide where I was supposed to.” I gnawed at my lip for a second before going on in the worksheet.

The front door opened, and Aileen was in the doorway a second later. She made an ‘awww’ noise, putting her hand against her heart, and sniffled a little, like the scene was so beautiful, it was making her emotional.

“Shut up,” I laughed, threatening to throw the pillow next to me at her.

“You two are just so cute.”

I blushed and avoided eye contact with Sam, since I knew he was looking at me. Aileen left then, thankfully, and I went back to my work.

“Did I tell you that you look nice today?” Sam whispered so Aileen couldn’t overhear.

I smiled at him, thinking again that he was much better for me than Puck ever was, and replied, “Thank you.”

He kissed my cheek and we started our homework again, hearing Aileen one room over moving around pots and pans to make dinner.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awww. Sweet lil' Sam and Ellie. :)

Okay, so subscribers for the other story need to hurry their butts over here. This is the ninth chapter, which means that it's almost the tenth chapter. :o Ha-ha.

Oh, so today in Sociology, we just talked because we didn't have much time in class (lockdown...drug search...you know, the usual). So we were going around the room, discussing what we wanted to be when we grew up. All these people had perfectly steady, reliable jobs. So when it got to me, I could feel my face get hot as I said, "Well, I want to be a young adult fiction writer, but it's not really a stable job, so..." My teacher said that would be an awesome job. But the great thing was that these guys who sit around me, whom I never spoken to in my life once, started saying encouraging things like, "All you need is a good idea," and "You can do it!" It just made me feel so good and sure of myself (although I'm sure it won't last long). Gotta love the niceness of other people sometimes. :)