A Moment of Heaven

A Moment in Heaven

I sat at the edge of the boardwalk, dipping my feet into the water. It was a hot day toward the end of August; my summer vacation was drawing rapidly to a close. I tried not to dwell on that too much, but it was hard. Spending time with my boyfriend made this summer heaven, but things were going to be different soon. While I was in my senior year in high school, he'd be a freshman in college...and I was scared of what this might mean.

"Hey," said a voice behind me. "What are you doing?"

I turned around to see him, smiling, but looking completely confused. I smiled back.

"Nothing," I muttered as he sat down next to me. He dipped his feet into the cool water beside mine.

He sighed. "I know what you're thinking of," he said. "You've been worrying about it non-stop...I just want to let you know, it's really not so bad." He put his arm around me. "I love you...And there's nothing that will ever change that."

"I love you too," I said. He chuckled softly, and before I had time to look at him, he kicked some water at my feet.

"Hey!" I said, grinning. I kicked back.

Predictably, this ended up in an all-out splash war between us. And though I felt much better, I still couldn't help but wish that this moment would last forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this for two reasons. One is for cloud control.'s Drabbling Pictures contest. The second is because, in my creative writing club, we were actually asked to write something based off of a photograph. I know this isn't really as dark as a lot of other fiction on this site... I guess I'm just more of an upbeat person.