Never Let This Go

(05)

Zane's POV

Holy crap.

I did not expect this to happen when I woke up this morning.

I thought I would be protecting a friend of my Alpha and that's it.

Now I have a mate.

And he's human.

I tried not to grimace at the possessiveness that flowed through me whenever I looked at him.

Phoenix.

He's so beautiful.

Bright blue eyes.

Nicely tanned skin, a muscled body from what I could see, and tall.

Way taller than me.

His hands were big and I wanted nothing more then to grab them and hold them between mine.

To protect his soft and fragile human body from anyone who tried to hurt him.

'Mine.' My wolf growled possessively as I looked Phoenix up and down.

Suddenly I was furious.

Furious at this group of imbociles who were trying to hurt my mate.

All because he's a good person and he wants to do what he thinks is right.

Before I realized what I was doing, I was standing in front of Phoenix, my posture protective and my eyes looking all around.

Phoenix looked up at me from his seat on the couch, and the fire in his eyes made me want to jump him right then and there.

"Mate? What does that mean? How can I be your mate? I'm not even a werewolf." He asked, clearly confused.

"You don't have to be a werewolf to mate with one of our kind. It doesn't happen very often. We're powerful beings, and our mates are exact matches for us. Being that your strong, and smart and head strong, well, I couldn't imagine someone better suited for Zane." Ezekiel said, his voice having a weird undertone.

I looked over at him and I could see the happiness he felt for me.

To find a mate is a big deal.

And not something that all Weres get to experience.

But I could also see the sadness in his eyes.

Because not only are our little 'get togethers' over, but now seeing one of his closest friends mated, it makes it hard for an Alpha and men in general.

I sighed deeply and walked over to him, my arms opening to envelope him in a hug.

A grateful smile went over his face and he accepted my hug.

It didn't last long because I was roughly yanked away and set behind Phoenix's broad back.

"Hands off buddy." He said, his voice low and dangerous.

An involuntary shiver ran up my spine.

Zeke's hands went up in surrender and he took a step back.

I glared at Phoenix's back and had an overwhelming urge to smack him for carting me around like a sack of potatoes.

But then he turned and looked at me, and the full force of his eyes were settled on me.

"Why am I feeling this way? So out of control. And possessive." He asked, his voice low and husky, his warm breath fanning across my cheeks.

I closed my eyes and took in his scent.

So delicious.

Like the forest and sunshine all wrapped in one.

The perfect combination.

I gulped and tried to talk, but no words were coming out.

I opened my mouth again and tried.

"Its, uh, the mating hormones. When mates first find another, the urge to, uh, mate and seal the lovers bond is extremely strong. And the way you feel towards you new found mate is extreme and your body needs to get used to it. Your emotions and hormones are going to be out of wack for a few days." I explained to him.

He sighed and reached his hands out to cradle my face.

I felt the urge to purr and nudge my head against his hand, but I settled with laying my face against his palm so he was cradling it.

"This is all so confusing. And I don't understand." Phoenix said.

"I know. And I'm sorry. I know it's overwhelming. But I'll answer any questions you have." I told him.

He looked at me again and pulled me closer.

"Why do you look so calm when I'm a mess?" Phoenix asked.

I smiled softly and laid my hand over his.

"I've had a lot of practice with keeping my cool. Trust me, on the inside, I'm just as frantic and confused." I told him.

I heard a throat clear from behind me and I almost jumped out of my skin.

I had completely forgotten that Ezekiel was here.

Now I'm embarrassed.

"Why don't you two go and talk in private. Seal the bond. Enjoy your honeymoon for a few days." Ezekiel said with a soft smile.

The idea did sound appealing and I felt Phoenix's arm go around my waist.

"What about my rounds? Dean doesn't even know about any of this. He'll be the only leader looking after Group 1. I can't, Zeke." I said softly.

I felt Phoenix stiffen beside me but I didn't understand why.

I chose to ignore it for the moment and faced my Alpha.

"I'll make sure to fill Dean and the rest or your group in on the happy news. When you tell your family is completely up to you, but I'm sure Trinity and Marius will want to know as soon as possible." He said.

"Who are Trinity and Marius?" Phoenix asked.

"My parents." I told him with a sm.

And there was his stiffening posture again.

I'd have to ask him about that when we're alone.

"Mandatory three days off. Seal the bond, talk, tell your family. Enjoy it. Congratulations Zane and Phoenix. I'm happy for both of you." Ezekiel said,coming to hug us both.

I smiled and hugged Ezekiel tightly before Phoenix started to growl.

Doesn't matter if he's a Were or not, this man is all Alpha.

I tried not to roll my eyes and Phoenix follower behind me, blocking me from Ezekiel's line of sight.

I walked through the pack house, Phoenix behind me, his eyes boring into the back of my head.

I tried not to let my nerves get the best of me when we climbed the stairs and got even closer to the room me and my twin sister, Ziva shared.

I opened the door and signed in relief when I saw it was empty.

Dealing with my nosy, older sister wasn't something I wanted to do right now.

I literally have bigger things to deal with.

I waved Phoenix in and he waltzed in, looking around the room.

I shut and locked the door behind me, not wanting anyone to come in.

I leaned my back against the door and watched him.

He was so graceful, so beautiful as he made his way around my room.

He looked right there.

And the realization made me shiver.

He finally turned and looked at me and those eyes pinned me in place.

I couldn't move.

I couldn't run.

Not like I wanted to anyway.

He was making his way towards me and it almost felt like slow motion.

He wasn't walking fast enough.

But I remembered that this is all new to him, and I didn't want to freak him out.

So I stayed put, to see what he would do.

He came forward until we were a foot apart.

The energy radiating between us was so intense, I started to feel weak kneed.

I sagged against the door.

"What does sealing the bond mean? Zeke kept saying that." Phoenix said.

I took in a deep breath and looked him in the eye.

"When mates find each other, they know instantly. It's in the air, something about the others scent that let's us know. I also know, because every time I look at you, my heart does a weird little dance." I told him.

A strange look went across his face that I chose to ignore.

"We know when we meet our mates. But sealing the bond, becoming true mates, makes it final. No changing your mind. No taking it back. It's forever. We mate for life. Once we meet our mates, that's it. And to seal the bond, you have to become one, as in we have to, uh, we have to---," I couldn't find the words.

I've never been nervous talking about sex.

But I'd also never talked to my mate about it for the first time.

"We have to have sex." Phoenix finished.

I nodded slowly and the fire in his eyes made me want to crawl out of my skin and into his.

I couldn't handle all of this intensity.

It was making me ansty.

"What else?" He asked, his voice low and husky.

"You have to claim me. Bite me, I mean." I told him.

"Like give you a hickey?" He asked.

"No. When you claim a mate, give them a bite, any other male that sees it will know she's taken. It's not so much a mark of ownership, but of belonging to another. And that's exactly what mates are. If we seal the bond, you'll belong to me....and I'll belong to you." I said quietly.

A possessive shadow crossed Phoenix's face and surprisingly, it didn't disgust me like I thought it would.

I actually wanted it.

More than anything.

To belong to another.

To have a true partner in life.

The feeling overwhelmed me but I stayed rooted to my spot.

Phoenix took a step towards me, and then his white t-shirt fell to the ground.

My eyes widened as I looked over his sculpted body.

There was a scripture tattooed on his chest and I had the overwhelming urge to run my fingers across it.

"Let's get to it then." Phoenix said, taking another step towards me.

I felt myself backing away from him, my back hitting the door.

"W-wh-what?" I asked.

"You're my mate. You say these things don't happen very often. And that makes us lucky. I don't look good things in the face and then turn my back. Let's do this. Let's seal the bond." He said again.

"You know we can't take this back once it's done, right? You have to be absolutely sure." I said to him.

I wanted so badly for him to want this as much as I did.

To want me.

"I'm sure." He said, his voice firm and sure.

He took another step and then he was right in front of me.

I could feel the heat rolling off of him in waves and I wanted nothing more than to erase the space between us.

To feel his heat pressed right against me.

And then it was.

His body was pinning me against the wall and breath was hard to come by.

And there wasn't anything I wanted more than to be mated to him for the rest of my life.

"Yes." I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

But he heard it and then his lips were on mine.

My wolf howled in happiness, happy to find our mate at last.

A smile went across my face and I felt tears burn my eyes as his arms wrapped around me and held me tight.

"Yes." I said again.

And there was no talking after that.

Nothing else needed to be said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image