Hiding Tonight

You're lovely as you are.

Four months earlier.

“Have you got everything?” her mother asked her when she picked her bag up from the floor. Rae nodded, a smile upon her face. She kissed her mother on the cheek and said goodbye. I held the door open for her and followed her outside. This week was going to be the best week of my life. Rae and I were going to camp out together. We were going to drive a few hours and just see where my old truck would bring us. It would be our own little adventure.

“Where are we?” Rae asked after driving for five hours. She just woke up, her hair was messy and her eyes weren’t that awake just yet. I chuckled softly and stroke some of her hair out of her face. She gave me a smile back and looked around, wanting to know the answer to her question.

“Just below Leeds,” I replied. She nodded satisfied and rubbed in her eyes. I looked at her out of the corner of my eye and couldn’t help but smile. She always looked lovely, but even more in the light of the sunrise.

“Do you want to stop for some food?” I asked her, looking over and then at the small clock next to the steering wheel. It was half past five in the morning, a time which made me suppress a yawn.

“If you see anything nice,” she crawled onto her knees and gave me a small kiss on my cheek. I chuckled softly and took a hold of her hand. She took it with both of her hands and hugged it carefully. Another chuckle escaped my lips as I rode into a new city.

Ossett, it was called. I should probably look at a map more often, ‘cause I had never heard of it before. I drove around for about ten minutes, but to my surprise, I couldn’t find a local pub. I sighed and took my hand back from Rae’s hug. “I can’t find anything,” I said.

She sat up again and looked around. “Just park it somewhere and we’ll walk.” And so I did.
We walked around, looked at some beautiful houses and streets and finally found a pub. Rae grabbed my hand and pulled me along.