‹ Prequel: Russian Roulette

Visions

.White.

White.
White wall, white clothes, white faces, white tables.
White rooms with a white framed bed in each room, the only splash of color being the baby blue blankets spread across that bland bed. Because I already think I was crazy, they decided to block me from any life. I had been counting the days, every time the sun came up from behind my one way window. It had been around a year if I added everything correctly. The first months were hell, my body ached, I felt sick and nauseas and twitchy. One of the keepers said I was going through detox, only I didn’t remember taking any drugs. Actually, I didn’t remember anything period. I didn’t remember the blond guy that brought me candy every other day and I didn’t remember the fully tattooed guy that kissed my lips every other day. Blondie told me I was his best friend but didn’t tell me anything else concerning what I was to him. Tattoos always said he was in love with me, but I didn’t feel anything towards him.
“Look Henry.” My friend Tasha pointed at a newcomer, “She doesn’t know what she’s in for.” She chuckled.
Two months and three days ago I met Tasha, if that was even her name, she seemed to be the only sane one I could communicate with. Her mocha skin glowed under the bright lights and her white teeth always seemed to put up the biggest contrast. Her hair was always braided to the side and her lips always painted a toxic red. She told me that she had lost her memory, just like me, it gave me more the reason to reach out to her.
“What do you think she has?” I asked watching the keepers pull her into a seat and strap her down. Her red hair flying like fire as she resisted. She screamed loud and reached out to claw whoever she was near.
Too late, these keepers new their way around, the reached for a long needle and injected her with the clear fluid.
“4…3…2…1.” Tasha counted as the girl stopped fighting and dropped her head, “Sad, sad day.”
I watched as the keepers tightened her into the metal seat and left her there, it was sad to say the least. I wanted to reach for her and hold her, tell her that everything was going to be okay.
“I know that look Henry.” Tasha smiled at me. She stretched her lean legs in front of herself and crossed her arms, “Don’t even think about it.”
“Can’t help it.” I shrugged, “I feel so bad for her.” I rested my head on Tasha’s firm shoulder.
“Henry.” A keeper came towards us, “You have a visitor.”
I lifted myself and looked back at Tasha, she winked and blew a kiss. I smiled back at her and kept walking through the glass doors.
Blondie sat at one of the white tables holding a bag of green hard candy, I smiled and sat in front of him, “Good morning Kyle.”
“Morning McKayla…I mean Henry.” He stuttered and dropped his head laughing, “I’m sorry, I always forget.”
“Same here.” I smiled, “It’s okay. Tattoos calls me that too.”
He looked at me puzzled, “He still visits you?”
“Yeah, Tuesdays Thursdays and Sundays at 3 p.m without delay.”
He frowned hard and mumbled to himself, “Do you enjoy his company?”
“I like looking at the pictures on his body, they’re beautiful.” I shrugged wondering where all these questions came from.
He shook his head again, “I brought these for you,” he stretched his hand out and handed me the green candy.
My eyes lit up as the bag came into my hands, “Thank you, Tasha and I will enjoy these.”
“You talk about Tasha a lot, is she your best friend?”
“Yes.” I smiled opening the bag, “We talk everyday.”
“Your mom wants to come visit you.” He said suddenly, “But she doesn’t know what to expect.”
I studied his face, “I’m not a monster.”
“I know, I know.” He clarified , “She’ll just be sad that you don’t remember her.”
“Tell her I’ll try.” I smiled unwrapping a candy.
“Mckayla.” A voice came from behind Kyle
We both looked towards the voice finding the tattooed guy, he held a single red rose in his hands just like he had every time he visited me.
“What are you doing here?” Kyle stood up slowly, “I thought we agreed we wouldn’t cut into each others time.”
Tattoos shrugged, “I’m going to Sheffield for a couple days, I needed to see her before I left.”
He walked towards me and kissed my lips softly, “Good morning love.” His accent filled my ears.
“Morning Oli.” I smiled taking the rose he handed me.
“What do you think you’re doing?” Kyle walked closer to him, anger in his eyes.
“Gentlemen, if you can’t control yourselves, you’re out!” a keeper grunted
“Don’t worry. I’m not sticking around.” Kyle walked away grabbing his jacket, “I’ll be back on Wednesday Mckayla.”