‹ Prequel: Russian Roulette

Visions

.Written Memories.

“What day is it?” the man across from me asked. His large glasses were pulled down, resting on the curve of his nose. One of his long legs twisted on top of the other, a yellow note pad laid on his lap. His shaky hands held a black pen with the name of this hellhole.
“Tuesday.” I muttered uninterested in his so called intervention.
He nodded, making his gray hair dip over his eyes, “Do you know why you had that episode last night?” His brown eyes made contact with mine.
I held his glaze for a couple seconds, making sure to show my contempt, “Because I hate this place, I’m not crazy…I just don’t know who I am.”
He nodded again, “That’s why you’re here Mckayla, once you remember and go through the team you’ll be free to leave.”
“How is that possible?” my voice began to grow angry, “Every time I begin to actually think, your henchmen inject me with that disgusting liquid!”
“It’s meant to calm you down.” His tone didn’t change, instead he scribbled on his pad.
I took a deep breath remembering that the more I struggle, the longer they keep me, “I can calm down by myself. I am aware when I act up… I just get upset and want to ride it out naturally.”
He looked up from his notepad, his eyes were wide. “What?” his expression told me he was shocked.
I adjusted myself on the gray couch and got closer to him, “I told you I’m not crazy. I don’t pull my hair out, I don’t twitch, and I have no intention of hurting myself or others. I just want to know who I am.”
He cleared his throat and reached for a folder on his desk, “Do you know your full name?”
I bit my lip, “Mckayla … I don’t remember the rest.”
“Mother’s name?” he raised an eyebrow
“No.” my eyes searched for nonexistent answers.
“Father’s name?” he grew more confident.
My breathing got heavier, “No.”
“Do you even know what event caused you to be here? Why you have that scar on your stomach?” He sat up straight and put the folder back on his desk. A sly smile creped on his face.
I felt tears rise in my eyes but held them back, “No.”
“Then I’m sorry Mckayla, this just means you’ll have to stay with us longer.” His hand reached for my knee, his fingers touched me and caressed me softly, “You’ll remember eventually, but if you don’t, we’ll always be here.”
“Doctor.” A female keeper came in. The man immediately pulled his hand away and turned his attention to her, “You have another patient.”
He sighed heavily, “Alright let them in, Mckayla… don’t hurt yourself thinking too hard.” He smiled.
I stood up, still disgusted by his fingers, “Don’t worry I will.” I muttered under my breath.
“Come Mckayla.” The keeper smiled warmly at me. She was new too, none of the keepers ever smiled like she did. Her smile was guaranteed to fade in the next couple months.
I followed her down a long white corridor, “I’m Hilary.” She smiled at me, her almond eyes lighting up.
“You already know my name… you probably know more about me than I do.” I said sadly.
“Oh you’ll be fine,” She chuckled softly, her hand reached out for mine.
I questioned her with my eyes but decided to take her offer. Her hand was warm as well, the warmest I had felt in this place, “I just wish my memories came faster.”
“Do you dream?” she asked once we reached my room.
“Yes. Vividly.”
“Write all your dreams down, and if you have visitors ask them to read them. Some of your dreams might not just be dreams, instead their just hidden memories.”
I smiled at her, “I would except I don’t have anything to write with unless I go to the crafts room.”
Hilary pulled out a small black notebook from the inside of her coat, a black pen attached to it, “That’s why I got you this,” she placed it in my hands, “I was passing by last night and I heard the conversation you had with Tasha.”
“Thank you.” I smiled brightly at her.