‹ Prequel: Russian Roulette

Visions

.Exit.

"Laura Bennett... Jace Garland..." I spoke under my breath, repeating their names over and over again. I waited impatiently outside Dr. Jennings office, biting my lip as I spoke in low tones. I took a deep breath as I racked my brain remembering everything David had told me yesterday. I was going to leave this damn place, I was going to escape this hellhole before the sun went down. 
"Mckayla!" Someone whispered towards me. I looked behind me to find Hilary's wide eyes glued on me. She crept over slowly, making sure none of the nurses payed much attention to us.
She slid onto the seat next to me and spoke without looking at me, "I found Tasha's real name, and a family member to contact."
I watched her slip a white scrap of paper in a magazine and place it on the table between us. She kept talking without looking at me, "I called Kyle Even to bring you some clothes and sign you out. He was listed as a family member."
A few nurses passed by us causing Hilary to look at her nails as if she didn't know me.
I followed her lead and looked the other way, twirling my dark hair around my finger.
"Tasha has your notebook, she's going to destroy the pages you wrote in and keep the notebook." She stood up, turning away from me, "Good luck sweetie, remember everything he told you." With that she fixed her skirt and walked away.
I smiled to myself, Hilary has been more than helpful to me. No one would have done everything she was doing for Tasha and I.
I picked up the magazine and flipped through it. I didn't even look at the pictures, instead I turned to the page the scrap of paper was in.
The name Hazel Montgomery was circled and under that was Laurence Montgomery with a number.
I smiled widely, I was going to get Tasha out of here too!
I crumpled the piece of paper and stuck it in my bra discreetly, making sure none of the nurses in the office noticed.
"Mckayla." Dr. Jennings said opening his door. A twitching girl with tightly braided hair came out, chewing on her nails. A nurse rushed to her side and helped her walk away.
I stood up, fixing my robe.
I walked past him and into his office.
"Take a seat Mckayla." He smiled.
I sat on a beige seat as he took a seat in front of me in an orange seat.
"Now lets see here." He huffed out looking through my file, he grunted pulling his glasses closer to his eyes. I watched nervously as his brown eyes skimmed through a couple pages, "Now you say that you remember everything?" He finally looked up.
I straightened up, "Yes sir, I remember... Everything."
His brown eyes dug inside of me, making me want to break down and confess that I actually still didn't remember anything and that a dark haired guy by the name of David told me everything.
Instead, I bit down on my tongue and waited for his next question.
"Do you remember your full name?" He set the papers on his lap and waited for my response.
"Mckayla Jolene Garland." I spoke up, finally feeling my nerves tingle on my finger tips. 
He nodded, "And your parents?"
I thought back to what David said, "I was raised by my mother, Laura Bennett. My father, Jace Garland left us when I was still very young."
Dr. Jennings nodded slowly, bringing the papers back to his eyes. He scanned the papers before asking, "Do you remember what happened to you prior to entering this establishment."
I ran my fingers over my stomach remembering the scar I saw every morning, "My ex boyfriend stabbed me."
He set down his papers, "Why do you think all of these memories came back so suddenly?" His glance was deep. He leaned forward, placing his hand under his chin.
"I don't know." I had to pay this correctly, "I just dreamt of so many things, and when I woke up... I just knew."
I couldn't believe the words that came out of my mouth. It seemed believable didn't it?
He pursed his lips and nodded, "Well Mckayla, we've had you here for quite a while. It's probably time you go home."
I smiled brightly bringing my stiff body down, unwinding carefully.
Dr. Jennings stood up and reached for his phone, looking at my file for a number. I watched excited as he dialed.
"Hello, Mr. Even" he cleared his throat, "I'm calling from the Henry Mayo Memory Clinic, on behalf of Mckayla Garland. She's ready for a sign off this afternoon." He nodded to himself and continued to speak, "Yes, We'll be seeing you shortly."
"Alright, Mckayla." He walked towards me. I stood up, "You can say your goodbyes to everyone you know. Mr. Even will be here to sign you off."
I closed my eyes and took in his words, finally feeling free, "Thank you" I said once I opened my eyes.
"It's all on you." He smiled leading me out.
Once I was back in the main office I let out a deep breath.
My life was about to change, completely change. 
All I ever knew were these white walls and these heartless women. These sick people around me were my family, I never knew anything else.
Before I knew it I was back in the main room, with Tasha waiting restlessly for my arrival. 
Once she saw me, she stood up and ran over with her arms wide open, "Did you do it?" She asked keeping her arms around me.
I nodded happily, "Yes. And you're next I promise." I whispered.
"I'll be waiting." 
I laughed, "You're my best friend remember? You're my sister! I'm going to get you out of here!" I looked around and lowered my voice, "Hilary found out about you... Your real name is Hazel Montgomery. I'm going to find someone to get you out." I promised grabbing her arms tightly.
Her deep eyes twinkled, fully believing me, "I know." She whispered, "And we're going to go shopping!" She cooed.
I laughed feeling her excitement, "We're going to buy so much clothes!" I laughed holding on to my best friend.
"Mckayla." A cold hand came on my shoulder, "Here are your clothes." I turned around to see Hilary holding a white bag.
I quickly let go of Tasha and hugged Hilary, "Thank you!" I whispered into her ear.
I felt her rub my back with a free hand, "You deserve it" she let go and handed me the bag.
I took the bag with shaking hands and walked toward my room. The last time I would ever see that room.