‹ Prequel: Russian Roulette

Visions

.Signatures&Freedom.

I was too excited to care about how loose the clothes Kyle had gotten me fit. They didn't seem new either, but they were everything I would ask for. A pair of dark wash jeans and a light blue shirt with a couple of designs, leading to the words 'Breathe Carolina'. I needed to get used to clothing brands instead of pale washed robes.
I let my hair down from the constant braid it was it, letting it fall to my lower back.
Just as I finished tying my shoelaces, a light knock came from my door.
"Come in." I called out a little too happy.
"Hey McKay." A blonde man walked into my bedroom. His smile was wide, child like.
"Hi." I stood up, ready for him to take me where ever was home.
His face turned sad after seeing me in my clothes.
"Something wrong?" I felt self conscious.
He shook his head, making his smile reappear, "No, it's just... I hadn't noticed how thin you've gotten"
"This was mine?" I asked pulling on the baggy jeans.
He nodded slowly.
"Well the food isn't really all that good in here." I laughed nervously. It felt weird being his equal in appearance. I was used to seeing him across a table, dressed in dozens of different outfits. I always had on the same one, the same fucking robe with the same fucking braid.
He laughed, "Well as soon as we leave I'm taking you to your favorite restaurant."
I gave him a crooked smile, "What's my favorite restaurant?"
His frown returned, "Chili's... I'm sorry, I kept telling myself that when I got you out, you'd actually remember."
My eyes grew in shock as I ran to cover his mouth. I got close to him and whispered, "There are ears everywhere here." I backed away knowing he got the point.
He bit his lip, "You're all signed out on my part, you just have to sign a few documents."
I nodded letting him lead me out, "Thank you Kyle, you don't know how much this means to me."
He smiled and continued to lead me, past the living room, into the offices. Dr. Jennings was already waiting in the front room with a file in hand.
"Mckayla! You look great!" He smiled, taking his large glasses off. 
"Thank you." I smiled leaning against the table in front of him.
"There are a couple papers you need to sign, I just need to read these pages and sign at the bottom."
He handed me a stapled bundle of papers. The print was readable, but the words used were massive. I looked over at Kyle, his blue eyes scanned the papers quickly.
"Can we have a moment doctor?" Kyle asked handing me a pen.
Dr. Jennings nodded and walked over to one of the nurses waiting to ask a question.
"This basically signs you out." He began, "it says that during your time here you weren't mistreated and cared for properly. Also it points out that if you sign this paper then your health is your problem... Basically."
I could read, I just wanted someone to tell me what it said in plain English. I smiled at Kyle, taking the pen from his hands. It was strange how he knew exactly what I was thinking when I looked over at him, he must really be my best friend.
"Then I guess I'm signing." I smiled leaning down to sign, "Mckayla Garland." I whispered to myself as I signed, "there." I smiled picking up the packet.
Kyle took it from me and walked it over to the doctor. I watched as they exchanged some words and shook hands.
I smiled widely, not being able to keep my happiness sealed as Kyle walked my way. His smile was wide as well, his blue eyes sparkled.
I had never noticed how gorgeous he actually was.
"You're all ready to leave McKay" he extended his hand towards me.
I looked at it for a couple seconds and accepted his offer.
His hand was warm and comfortable regardless of the callous he had formed in various places.
He gave me a toothy grin as he walked me towards the entrance.
I had only seen the entrance a couple times, but both those times I knew passing through those double doors was only a dream.
And now, here I stood right in front of them, hand in hand with someone I was starting to warm up to.
I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.
"You need a second to take this in?" I opened my eyes to watch him let go of the door knob.
I shook my head, "No, I'm actually anxious to get the hell out of here and taste what real food should taste like."
Kyle laughed placing his hand back on the door knob, "We're gonna have to get one of everything."