Status: Attempting to revive this story

Tear Down the Cobwebs

Chapter 1

“One of these days, we’ll be up there getting ready to play for our fans.”

I looked up at Aaron. “So are you glad I got the tickets?” I asked. It had taken a few months of setting aside our hard earned money, but I finally had enough to buy five tickets.

Aaron sighed. “Yes Hailey, I’m glad you did. The All Stars Tour may be small, but we get to see Motionless in White. Just think about it though; one day we’ll be performing on the same stage as them.”

“If Aaron and I keep wearing our shirts everywhere we’ll be noticed eventually,” Hunter said. Well, the back was hard to miss; our band only had one design so far, but we weren’t big enough to need more yet. They were black with our band name, His Final Masterpiece, was written in red on the front. The back had a hand with a bloody X across the palm. That hand was our symbol. It held a different meaning to each of us, but it was more important to me than anyone else.

Our conversation ended as people began cheering. MIW was on the stage, each in their positions. I leaned against the gate in front of me that was supposed to keep the crowd back. “Supposed to” being the key phrase; from the looks of it, the gate would flip with enough pressure, and the five security guys between the stage and the gate wouldn’t be able to do anything. As if testing my theory, the crowd pressed forward as the first song began. Aaron and I stood next to each other, with Hunter behind us. He felt it his duty to protect us, as he was the oldest in our group while Aaron and I were the youngest. Blake and Zach were near the back of the crowd, waiting for their chance to crowd surf. The three of us managed to keep our place in the front while singing every word. Somehow, the gate stood in place.

“Just can’t wait for that day, can you?” Hunter asked.

My fingers were moving unconsciously, playing my invisible guitar. I couldn’t listen to music without trying to play it. “I’m not the only one,” I replied, watching Aaron. He was using the railing as his keyboard. I couldn’t hear what Hunter said to him, but Aaron laughed and flipped him off. With that, we went back to watching the stage.

Halfway through MIW’s performance, Blake and Zack made it up to the front with us. It was easy to spot Aaron and I because of our hair. We would have been lost in the crowd otherwise, especially me. I was only 5 feet tall and currently had my bangs dyed blue, while the rest of my hair was its natural black. Compared to our three band mates, Aaron was short, even though he was 5’9" with purple hair. Hunter, Zack, and Andrew were each over 6’ tall, towering over me. That was one of the reasons I dyed my bangs: I stood out, even if it was only a little.

After the last song, we found an area in the shade, which was conveniently located right across from the table where the bands were doing their signings. I pulled Aaron down to sit next to me so I could lay my head on his shoulder. We were usually driving to the next town during the day while I slept. I usually woke up when the sun was beginning to set, and fell asleep just after it rose in the morning. Needless to say, I wasn’t used to being up at this time.

“Awe, is our little vampire tired?” Andrew cooed, poking my neck. I had a tattoo on the side of my neck of a vampire bite with blood still coming out. Zack’s older sister had made it realistic, and more than one person had thought it was real blood. I’d always been a nocturnal creature, hiding from the sun and wandering around at night, even when I was a little kid.

I flipped Andrew off when he looked up at me, resting his head in my lap. Hunter and Zack remained standing though, making fin of the people here. I watched them too, mainly the underage girls. The underage, underdressed girls. I couldn’t keep myself from laughing at them a little when they started fixing their hair and clothes when MIW walked over.

“We should have brought them something to sign,” Zack said.

“It looks like they’re selling those posters up there,” Hunter said. “I wonder how much they are.” I watched people walking away, all with the same posters.. From where we were sitting, I could see Ricky trying not to make faces at the girls and their lack of clothing. I’ll admit, it was hot out here, but this wasn’t a pool party.

I closed my eyes, tuning out the crowd. I never did understand why Aaron’s shoulder was so comfortable, considering he was a stick, but I wasn’t complaining. I was just starting to fall asleep when something hit my face. It didn’t feel like a fly, and I hit a hand when I tried to swat whatever it was away. I opened my eyes slightly, shutting them quickly in the bright light. I heard the guys laughing as I tried again. I wasn’t completely successful until I shifted, letting my hair fall across my face, hiding the sun.

“So, who was hitting my face with what?” I asked, trying not to yawn. “And why? I was almost asleep.”

Hunter waved a bill in front of me. “I was trying to wake you up. You weren’t responding when we called your name.” I nodded in understanding. My eyes followed the bill in Hunter’s hand as he waved it back and forth. “Chris Motionless was going through the line selling those posters they’re signing.” I grabbed the bill out of his hand as he spoke; five dollars. “And you’re using that to get one.” With that, I reluctantly let him pull me to my feet.

“Why do I have to go? I was sleeping, and going over there means going in the sun,” I whined.

“Because you’re the most adorable of us all,” Zach answered, tugging my bangs.

“Fine. But I’m not adorable. And how do I get one of those posters if they’re not selling them in the line anymore?”

“You can get one at the table,” Zack said. “Now go, the line is almost gone.”

Making sure the money was still folded in my hand, I walked to the end of the line. I was standing behind a girl in shorts that were too small and a bikini top. I was making fun of her in my head when I heard Aaron shouting my name. I turned around to see him running towards me.

He wrapped his arms around me tightly. “I missed you,” he said, grinning at me like a little kid.

“You missed me in the whole two minutes I’ve been gone?” I said, grinning back at him. This was one of the reasons why Aaron was my best friend. “How did you make it so long?”

Aaron laughed. “I actually came over here to tell you something.” He leaned down to talk directly in my ear so the slut in front of us couldn’t hear. “I just wanted to tell you good luck with Ricky.” I hit Aaron’s chest as he pulled away. He was the only one who knew I liked Ricky, not just for his looks, but because of him as the person in the interviews.

I watched Aaron run back to the rest of the guys. When I turned back around, the guy selling the posters was waiting for me. I muttered a quick apology as I handed him the money. He brushed it off and handed me the poster without another word. I waited until the slut in front of me gave up trying to flirt with Ghost and Angelo. She moved on to Balz and Ryan. She quickly moved on to Chris and Ricky, with no better response.

I handed my poster to Angelo, making sure I did so with my palm down. I wasn’t wearing gloves today and I didn’t want to answer any questions about my scars. “I’ll sign this as long as you promise not to act like her,” he said, looking up at me.

“I don’t normally judge people in their appearance, but when you dress like that, it’s obvious to everyone what’s on your mind. And since I look nothing like her, I don’t act like her,” I said. Ghost, who’d been listening, nodded in agreement. Angelo scribbled his signature on the poster before handing it to Devin. I stepped to the side, following the poster. Ghost passed it to Balz, he passed it to Ryan. Which meant Ricky was next. He’d pass it to Chris, and I’d be able to walk away without embarrassing myself.

I held my breath as Ricky signed his name before looking up. He smiled as his eyes met mine. I hadn’t realized Chris had taken the poster and signed his name until he held the poster out to me. I whispered a quick thanks and turned away. So much for getting away without embarrassing myself.

My guys were all huddled around Andrew’s phone as I walked towards them. “I left you alone for five minutes and you’re already watching porn?” I asked.

“You’re back! We need you to read this email and give us the basics of what it says,” Andrew said, holding the phone out to me. For some reason, all the emails directed at the band were sent to Andrew, even though I was the only one who actually took the time to read stuff.

I handed the signed poster to Hunter as I took the phone. I quickly skimmed through it, reading enough to know what it said; I’d sit down later and read it fully. “Basically, we’ve been asked to go on this year’s Warped Tour,” I told them.
♠ ♠ ♠
I promise, the story picks up a little after this.