Status: Attempting to revive this story

Tear Down the Cobwebs

Chapter 4

I put my guitar back in its case before climbing back onstage to help get the rest of our equipment. We really needed to save up enough money to hire some tech people. And at least one merch person. It wasn’t that I was lazy and didn’t want to help so much as I hated having to spend all this unnecessary time in the sun. Honestly, I was kind surprised I didn’t burn to a crisp on our first day on tour, considering how pale I was.

Crispy, like bacon. When was the last time I’d had good, crispy bacon? And if I turned into bacon and ate myself, would that be considered cannibalism?

“Hailey, do I want to know what you’re thinking about?” Blake asked.

I shrugged. “I don’t know. Do you?” I replied, grinning mischievously. I was surprised to find that while I was lost in my thoughts, I’d unconsciously helped the guys load everything in the back of the van.

“Knowing how your mind works, I’m kind of afraid to ask.”

“I was thinking about turning into bacon and eating myself,” I said simply.

Blake sighed, shaking his head. “I don’t think I’m ever going to understand you.” He pulled me onto his back before walking towards the massive crowd just outside the bus lot. “Hunter is supposed to meet us at the merch tent with something to eat.”

We’d been one of the first bands to perform today, so I’d been woken up at the last minute, leaving me no time to find any food. I pulled the hood of my jacket on further over my head before burying my face in Blake's neck. I wouldn’t mind turning into a slice of bacon, but I wasn’t in the mood at the time.

I felt a pair of arms grab my waist and pull me off Blake's back a few minutes later. “We need to get you to catering as soon as they open tonight,” Zach said, poking my sides gently. “You’re getting too thin again.”

“Who’s getting too thin?” I peeked around Blake, who was still standing in front of me. Somehow, I couldn’t stop the smile from spreading across my face when I saw Ricky.

“They always say I’m too small,” I replied. “I think it’s just because I’m shorter than all of them, so they think they can’ make fun of me whenever they want.”

“I guess I’m not allowed to make fun of you as your creeper,” he said. “But am I allowed to take you for a little while?”

“I don’t see why not. But we’ve gotta wait Hunter to get back with my breakfast.” Ricky and I helped the others set up the merch tent while we waited. It wasn’t long before Hunter and Aaron came bag with several bags from the store.

“This is yours,” Aaron said, throwing a bag at me.

“Thanks,” I said, catching it. “I’ll be back later.” I let Ricky lead me off somewhere else after Zach reminded me that I had to be back in two hours to work my shift.

Ricky led me to the Motionless in White tent, where Balz was leaning back in one of the folder chairs, watching people go by. “What’cha doin’?” I asked, dropping into the chair next to him.

“Looking for some hot chicks,” he replied.

“I saw some earlier, and on the way over here. I think they were walking this direction, so they should be passing by soon.”

“Really?” I don’t think I’d ever seen anyone look so happy. He couldn’t seriously be this desperate to get laid. “Wait, you’re into chicks?”

I shrugged, tilting the chair back onto two legs. “If they’re hot. But I’m pickier about how they look then I am about guys I’m interested in.”

And I thought Balz looked happy before. Before I could react, he leaped over, wrapping me in a tight hug. “You’re now officially my favorite person ever,” he squealed. I definitely wasn’t expecting him to squeal like that. Not much I could do about it though.

I could see Ricky out of the corner of my eye. He didn’t look too happy about the attention I was getting from his band member. “I thought you were waiting on this?” he asked me, holding up the bag with my breakfast. I didn’t remember handing it to him.

“Yes!” I cried, taking the bag from him as I attempted to balance my chair again. I grinned, pulling out a can of Java Monster and a bag of M&Ms. “Breakfast time.”

“You eat like that and your band is worried about you being too thin?” Ricky asked, eyes wide.

“Before this tour, we were just driving around randomly, hoping we could get a gig, even for one night,” I explained. “They weren’t all paying gigs, and the money we had was needed for gas to get us to the next town. A lot of the time, that meant we didn’t have much money, if any left over for food.”

“We are so taking you out for wings one day,” Balz announced.

We spent the next few hours talking and pointing out girls for Balz’s approval. And as much as he tried to hide it, I could see the concerned looks Ricky was giving me. When it came time for me to return to my own band’s tent, Ricky walked with me once again.

“Promise me you’ll take advantage of the catering that’s provided,” Ricky said, pulling me into a tight hug.

“I promise I won't pass up the opportunity to get free food,” I said, breathing in his scent. How did he manage to smell so good after three days on tour in the middle of summer?

I watched him walk away before dropping into Aaron’s lap. “Someone’s got a crush on you,” he said in a sing-song voice.

“Shut up,” I said, elbowing him gently. I could tell Aaron was joking. There was no way Ricky would be interested in me. Right?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you L0stIn_Lights and lostinthecityofsin for your comments. Keep them coming, and don't be a silent reader.