Sequel: Defying Gravity

Close Call

Close Call

I honestly didn't like this idea at all. Looking across the lobby, I saw Arthur and Cobb walking up the modern staircase, Fischer in between them. I was with Saito and Eames, the forger's arm wrapped around my waist. We were currently entering the lobby of the tall hotel from one of the hallways, having just dodged Fischer's projection body guards. We moved up the stair case following our friends, keeping them barely in sight. Saito split up and walked down another hallway, hoping to meet up with us on the other side.

We all knew where we were going.

Eames kept his arm around me as we moved, and I didn't feel comfortable. Turning a corner, we were greeted by a crowd of party goers. I froze and so did Eames.

How did Cobb slip through this?

"What do we do now?" I asked.

"I don't know. Keep going?"

I looked up at him, "Keep going?"

He shrugged, "They're not military... how hard could it be?"

I sighed.

"Brittany, relax. You're adorably blond, and I'm fabulously British... we're going to be fine."

I smiled at his answer, and walked with him into the mob of people. As we moved, we didn't talk to anyone, and soon the attention of the conversation started to shift to us. Around us we heard the occasional, "Who are they?"

My heart launched itself into my throat, and I pressed myself closer to Eames, whose grip on my waist tightened. We neared the end of the hallway, and the crowd thinned. Reaching the corner, we suddenly noticed how quiet it was behind us. Taking the chance to look at the hallway, I saw that everyone was looking at us. I waited until we were safely around the corner before I reacted, but Eames was way ahead of me. Pulling on my arm, we began to run, the sound of footsteps following us, fueling our need to get away.

"What is Cobb telling Fischer?" I asked as we rounded a corner.

"No idea.... But I'm gonna kill him."

"Good plan."

He shot me a quick smile before pulling me into a room. We were well ahead the mob of projections. My back was pressed against the door with Eames leaning over me, his hands splayed on either side of my head. We looked at each other as we caught out breath and listened, our hearts beating in our ears. Footsteps reached the hall and we held our breath, not wanting them to hear our panting. I turned my head to move my ear closer to the surface of the door, hoping to hear better, but nothing really changed.

Outside, I could hear projections moving around, then they moved down the hall and everything was quiet. I looked back at Eames, and asked him what we should do with my eyes. He held his finger to his lips, and moved me to look out the eye hole.

"I don't see anyone out there."

"Should we chance it?"

He looked down at me, and smiled, "I always chance it, baby."

I frowned, "Don't call me baby."

He smiled wider and opened the door. We froze when we saw a projection walking in front of us, but he passed us without making any movement suggesting that he was after us. We looked at each other and turned to go the opposite way down the hall. We were three hallways away from Cobb and Arthur, and we weren't willing to mess around. Walking down the hall, we saw Browning, Fischer's godfather outside the room, Saito talking to him. We nodded at him, and we moved.

Entering the room, Eames pushed Browning in and we closed the door. Cobb turned Fischer away from us, explaining what was going on, and thankfully he believed us. The projection of Browning told him everything he wanted to hear, and we were ready for the third level. I helped everyone plug into the machine with Arthur. Bending down I helped Eames with his, "I can see down your shirt."

I smiled, "Do you like the view?"

"Very much."

"Too bad you can't do anything about it."

"It's a shame you're with him, I hope you know it."

I smiled and playfully slapped his face, "Go kick some ass."

Arthur came up behind me and I moved on to Fischer. I helped him with his wrist, and made sure that he was ready. I stood up and looked at Arthur and nodded. He pressed the button, and everyone in the room fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ta da!

Hope you enjoyed it, Brittany.