Status: a working progress...

Mistake

Chapter 3

Damian looked at me with eyes full of shock and concern. “What do you mean? How can you not have a plan? You’re pregnant, Hayley…There are options that need to be considered, arrangements that need to be made. You have to have some sort of idea of what you’re going to do.”

I shook my head, diverting my gaze to my lap. “Well, I don’t, Damian. I didn’t exactly plan on getting pregnant, ya know? I didn’t ask for this, any of this!” My eyes filled with tears as my own words sank in.

Damian removed his arm from around my shoulders, letting out an annoyed sigh. “Well of course not! No one asks to get raped!” The words slipped from his lips before he even had a chance to think about it. Quickly, he covered his mouth with his hand, shaking his head slowly. “Oh Hayley, I…I’m so sorry…I...”

“You didn’t think?” I interrupted, though my words weren’t bitter. All I received in response was a nod from the young man sitting beside me. “I understand, Damian. And I’m not angry with you. Just…hearing you say it made it all very real. I’m…I’m going to be a mum, and I’m not even eighteen yet. Not married, hell, I don’t even have a boyfriend.” I paused, blinking in an attempt to stop the wet streaks that were now coursing down my cheeks. “I’m seventeen, Damian. My innocence was taken away from me, and as a result I now have the responsibility of becoming a mother. I’m not ready for this.” I kept my gaze to my lap, almost afraid to look up into those blue eyes of his.

I hadn’t expected to receive a verbal response from Damian….And why should I? Not even 30 minutes ago he was going off about how I always seem to mess everything up. However, after a few moments had passed, I felt his warm hand envelope my much small one. He used his other hand to gently lift my chin to meet his concerned gaze. It was when my eyes met his that the tears began to come faster.

“Hey, hey…” He whispered, gently wiping away the tears on my cheeks with the pad of his thumb. “It’s going to be alright, I promise.”

“I’m so scared, Damian. I can’t do this alone…”

He shook his head before pulling me into a tight embrace. “You don’t have to, Haley Jo, and you won’t. Sharon and the lads are here for you…and me as well. Believe me, Darling, you’re not alone.”

I smiled though my tears, hugging Damian just a bit tighter. “Thank you…”