Status: a working progress...

Mistake

Chapter Nine

It was around two in the morning that the rest of the lads came stumbling onto the bus, laughing and more than a bit tipsy from the beer they had drank at the pub. They all went passed Keith and Hayley, completely ignoring the pair snuggled up on the couch. Well, everyone except Damian that is…

Damian couldn’t believe what he was seeing. After everything Hayley had been through, Keith was trying to make a move on her? How could he? Hayley didn’t need this, especially now.

“Damian, leave em’ alone, lad. They’re sleepin’. Poor Hayley’s exhausted.” Paul called from the bunk are of the bus.

Damian ignored him, glaring at the blond haired surfer. He could feel the anger welling up inside him as Keith pulled Hayley closer in his sleep.

“Damian? Come on, leave them be…”

“No!” Damian shouted. He grabbed the front of Keith’s shirt, allowing the rage to take over.
“Get away from her!”

Keith awoke with a start, letting out a gasp as he was jerked off the couch. Miraculously, Hayley did not wake up. “Damian, what the hell is your problem, mate?”

“You want to know my problem?!” Damian growled, tightening his fists. “My problem is that you had Hayley in your arms…At a time like this!”

“Damian…” Paul warned.

“Shut up, Paul.” Damian pointed his finger in Keith’s face. “You..you have no right to come on to her like that! She’s vulnerable, she..she’s with child, Keith! She doesn’t need this, she doesn’t need a man seven years older than her trying to get her into bed!”

“Stop Damian! Just stop!”

Damian turned his head toward the young woman sitting on the couch, loosening his grip on Keith’s shirt. “Hayley, I…”

“Let go of him, Damian. And how dare you accuse him of those things? How could you? Don’t you know Keith better than that?” Hayley exclaimed, glaring at the young man.

“He had you on his lap, Hayley! He…”

“Was comforting me! I needed someone and he was here! He was nothing short of a gentleman with me.” Hayley wrapped her arms around her stomach protectively, shaking her head. “He’d never try anything, Damian, he’s my big brother…”

Damian blinked, glancing at Keith. “Is this true?”

Keith nodded. “Aye, every word. I love Hayley, but not in the way you assumed. I wouldn’t hurt her for the world, I swear.”

A deep red tinge of embarrassment appeared all over Damian’s cheeks. “Oh…I’m so, so sorry, I just feel this sense of protection over Hayley, and I jumped to conclusions. I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t worry about it, Damian.” Hayley replied, smiling a bit. “But let’s get some rest, hmm? It’s been quite an exhausting day for all of us.”

The boys both nodded in agreement as they went to their respective bunks. Sleep was exactly what they needed at the moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Reviews please?