Sequel: Hollywould Fix

Wonderwall

Bad News or Good News First?

My smile waned. I got up and followed him upstairs. Once we got to his room, he closed the door behind us. I sat down on his bed. "This is good because I've been meaning to ask you about how the search is going but I didn't want to be a pest..."

Pete cut me off. "Actually that's what I needed to talk to you about."

"Ok," I said cautiously waiting for him to continue.

"I had to bring the men looking for your mom back to California. I'm sorry Reina but they've been looking for weeks. That doesn't mean your mother isn't still out there."

"Ok," I said quietly. I didn't quite know what to do.

"But look I'll think about that job thing and we can talk about it in the morning, ok?"

I nodded. He leaned over to hug me but I froze.

"Rey, please don't be mad at me. I had to." He actually looked sad at the thought of me being angry with him.

"I'm not mad at you," I said forcing a smile, "you've gone above and beyond to help me. I just can't help feeling that this means the end."

"It doesn't Rey, it's just a set back not the end."

I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek before standing up and walking to the guest room. I moved around like a zombie changing my clothes and climbing into bed. I wanted to cry but I felt like I couldn’t. I heard a knock at the door. "Come in!" The door opened, it was Ashlee; I had not expected her.

"I'll leave if you want me to but Pete told us what happened. I'm so sorry Rey. Anyway, I brought you some chocolate fudge ice cream, I thought it might help you feel better."

I sat up surprised. "I've love some ice cream actually."

She grinned and walked around to my side of the bed handing me the container and a spoon. "There's something else," she began, "about the job; I know that you're good with fashion. Pete told me that your mom is a fashion designer and about what you did at the meeting for Clandestine and well, you know my sister has her own clothing line. I could get you an interview with her company if you want?"

Was she kidding? The Jessica Simpson brand was sold in major department stores, it would be a great opportunity to work for a label like that. "I would love that Ashlee, thank you so much!"

"You're welcome," she smiled. I heard another knock and I looked up to see Alex standing in the doorway. "I'll leave you two alone," she said.

Once she had left Alex walked over and filled her empty spot on the bed. "Pete told us what happened. Are you ok?" He lifted up his hand and began stroking my hair tenderly.

"I don't know. I was sad but then Ashlee said she could get me an interview with her sister's clothing company and that kind of cheered me up a little, so now I'm kind of in the middle."

"Well that's good, about the job I mean. Honestly, I think it will be good for you. I was bit worried about what I was going to do. My dad's been hounding me to do something with my summer. I was worried about who would look out for you if he made me get a job. But this way you'll be out of the house and being productive and then we can catch up in the evenings."

"Yeah it will be perfect," I said weakly.

"I'm sorry, here I am excited about the job and completely ignoring your sad news."

"No it's ok the job is great and I don't wan to think about the other news anymore. Are you staying tonight," I asked thinking back to the night before.

"No," he stood up and kissed me on the forehead, "You need some time alone. Call me in the morning."

"Ok."