Sequel: Hollywould Fix

Wonderwall

DKNY

When we entered the store we were led to a back room where several people in fancy suits were waiting and there was rack of clothes in the middle of the room.

"Hello Pete, I'm Nancy," said a tall, thin Black woman in a cream pants suit and thick-rimmed red glasses. She began showing him each piece that would be part of Clandestine's DKNY collection. He looked at each piece and he and Nancy discussed them contemplating possible changes. All of us stood back in silence. "Well, you guys are the consumers," said Pete turning his attention to us, "what do you think?"

"It's nice." "I like it." Everyone else was quick to give commendation.

"Reina," he said noticing that I hadn't said anything.

"May I," I asked motioning towards the rack.

"Of course."

I walked over. I looked at each piece in detail. I picked up a few pieces at once and put them together as if planning an outfit. I think I even heard one of the DKNY reps snicker at my apparent concentration. "Well...," I began, "It's good for the most part. There are a few changes I would make though."

"Go on," Pete coaxed me.

"Well, I think the dark color theme of the clothes is good very DKNY but Clan is known mofre for it's bright colors as much as the designs and symbols used. With all of these dark colors there's no real focal point of an outfit. I was thinking like you could take this shit," I pulled a black t-shirt with a pixilated picture of Hemingway on it from the rack, "and make it a bright color like red or pink. It would make the design pop even more and will be able to stand out even from behind a jacket." Pete seemed to be taking my critique well so I kept going. "Also, I like the cut of the jeans but I think the dark blue wash is still a little out of place with the rest of the collection. Maybe they should be black and you could add some sheen to make them almost leathery looking..." I continue talking about a few more pieces.

I was surprised that Pete was taking me seriously. Meanwhile, Nancy didn't look too pleased. "And what exactly makes you qualified to offer suggestions, miss...."

"Vasquez. Reina Vasquez. Actually my mother is a fashion designer in Miami. She owns a boutique and she taught me a lot. But mostly because like Pete said I represent the consumer. You don't have to take my suggestions, of course, but if your goal is to have people actually buy the clothes then you might want to seriously consider them."

Pete looked rather amused at my forcefulness.

"Well, Ms. Vasquez," she sounded pained, "I'll certainly think about it."

"No need to think about it," Pete finally spoke up, "I like her suggestions. Use them. Let me know when you have samples of the new changes." With that we left.

"Wow! That was amazing," exclaimed Danielle, "Who would have known you know so much about fashion. I mean you could never tell." She said that like it was a compliment.

"Thanks," I snorted.

As we exited the bus Pete stopped me. "Thanks for your help, Reina. I really did like your suggestions."

"No preoblem, it was fun. And thanks for taking me seriously."

"You have a talent."

"You think so?"

"Absolutely, if you want it, I think a career in fashion could definitely be in your future." I smiled and headed into the hotel with a little extra bounce in my step.