Status: In Progress

Beauty and the Beast

IV

I woke up to a wet nose against my face. I opened my eyes and saw my dad’s Collie. He sniffed my face again before licking my forehead.

“Hey, boy.” I smiled at him and gently stroked his soft fur.

“Oh, you’re awake.” I looked into the kitchen and saw Arlene standing there with a bowl in hand.

“Hey, Arlene.”

“Hi, Sweet Cheeks. You were asleep when I got here, so I just let myself in. Your dad had to take care of an emergency. He’ll be back soon.” I nodded. My dad’s Collie ran outside.

I went back to the bathroom and did my business before changing out of my pj’s. The sweet smell of hot cakes met my nose when I stepped out of the bathroom. I sat down at the table and Arlene put a plate of hot cakes and bacon in front of me.

“Thank you so much, Arlene.”

Suddenly the door opened and my dad stepped into the trailer, wearing the same clothes he had on last night.

“Hey Baby girl.” He seemed out of breath. He came over to me and brushed the bangs out of my face before kissing my forehead in the exact same place the Collie had licked me.

“Thank you so much, Arlene,” he said.

“It’s not a problem. Hey, you ever need anything, just give me a call. I should probably get back to the kids. Knowing Rene, he’s still sleeping and the kids are probably hungry.” She grabbed her purse before leaving the trailer.

“I’m gonna go take a shower. You eat up kiddo.”

My dad patted my head and smiled at me before going back to the bathroom. The Collie came back into the house and sat at my feet. He placed his head in my lap and stared up at me.

“That’s not going to work. My mom’s boyfriend used to do the same thing to me, but it didn’t work then either.”

*The Next Day*

Sookie hadn’t shown up for work yet. My dad wouldn’t let me do anything, instead he made me sit with Hoyt and Rene. Sookie came up to our table after finally arriving and the guys ordered Cokes. I just had water.

Sookie was telling us about what happened with Bill and how he was still alive when she thought he had burnt up in the fire that had killed four people. Rene had placed his arm across the back of the booth seat. I could feel his fingers just barely touch my shoulder. It made me uncomfortable.

“Order up!” Terry shouted from the kitchen.

“Hold your horses. I’m coming!” Sookie yelled before turning back to us. “He got my message that something bad might be brewing, so he spent the night in the graveyard.”

“Doesn’t it get cold out there?” Hoyt asked.

“No, he was in the ground. So after I couldn’t find him, then hearing about those four bodies at that burnt up house, you can imagine what I was going through.”

“Oh, I mean that must have been terrible.” Hoyt said again. This girl was out of her mind. I prefer my guys with a beating heart.

“Oh, you don’t know.”

“Sookie they said there was only three vampires that come in here the other night.” Rene said. He finally moved his arm so he was leaning on his elbows. I almost sighed in relief. “Who’s the fourth body?”

“Some poor fangbanger, they’re saying. Some vampires like to keep a human around for sex and blood. I’ll get your Cokes.” She finally walked away.

Some other girl started serving food to customers. I smiled at her as she passed. She was good. My dad would be out of his mind if he didn’t hire her.

The next day the police stopped by the bar to talk to my dad. I always got nervous around police ever since I was taken away from my mom when her boyfriend was caught with cocaine.

“And that’s it. I got no control over what people do after they leave the bar.”

“You remember anyone ever being unusually angry over what those vampires did to your bar?” the Sheriff asked.

“Yeah, everyone. We were all angry. Heck, you might as well interrogate the whole town. Between you and me, I wouldn’t be to heart broken if you found who did it. You know what I’m saying? Old Mrs. Stackhouse, on the other hand, now that’s a real tragedy. Her and Dawn and Maudette Pickens, one right after the other. You fellas got any lead on that?”

“We’re working on some right now.” the detective said.

“Good. I’m pulling for you guys.”

“Okay.” the Sheriff said shrugging his shoulders. “You remember anything else. We’ll be having a burger inside. Come on, Andy.” They both walked out the door. My dad had an almost relieved look on his face.

“Hey, Sam?” The detective, Andy, came back into the trailer. “One other thing. You recall spending any time out in the woods lately?”

“Yeah. Some. But you knew that all ready, didn’t you?” My dad sighed heavily. “Andy. If I tell you, you have to keep this a secret.” My dad stood up and moved closer to Andy. “Nobody in town knows. But, uh, I come from a family of naturists.”

“Like bird watchers?”

“No. No, not naturalists. Naturists. Naturists believe in a freer, clothing optional kind of lifestyle.”

“You’re a nudist?” I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing.

“No. No. Good Lord no. But my folks were. I’m embarrassed to say. They spent most of their lives at a nudist colony.”

“Oh, yeah? Around here?”

“No, in Texas, just outside of Beaumont. Ever since they passed, I honor their memory once a year by taking a run through the woods the way they used to. It’s-it’s my private way of mourning. I’m sorry if anybody had to see it.” I had to put my hand over my mouth to keep the laughter in.

Once Andy left, I couldn’t hold it any longer and burst out laughing. My dad looked at me strangely.

“What?” He asked coming over to me.

“Nudist colony outside Beaumont? Seriously?”

“Hey! I never said I was gonna tell the truth.”

He pulled me into a hug and I buried my face into his chest. He smelled just like the Collie that woke me up not two days ago.