Today, in 2054

Chapter 3

My father was already making dinner by the time I got home. I didn't understand how he could sleep for only a few hours then proceed to do chores around the house again, but I guessed that was just what his job generally involved; sleeping for just a few hours before adventuring out into the world again.

The kitchen smelt like proper meat, unlike what it usually did; because animals that were used for meat were quite rare now, the price of meat had skyrocketed, making it a very rare meal to have. A lot of people just used special additives to give their food a meaty taste, or just ate vegetables instead. It was, in fact, the cause of many people becoming vegetarian.

"Are we having meat?" I asked.

"We are," was his reply.

"Why?" I smiled, "what's so special about tonight?"

"Well, seeing as it's my first night home, I thought we may as well have something a bit different and special." He served the meat onto plates before I grabbed mine and sat at the dining table.

"Allie," my father said to me as he also sat down, "have you been going to school while I haven't been here?"

"No," I replied honestly, "I've had too much on my hands to go."

"You're getting older," he told me.

"And what does that have to do with anything?"

"You have to go to school, even when I'm not here."

"But it's never mattered before, why now?"

"You won't pass if you keep missing days." I knew he was right, but it still didn't affect my opinion on how horrible school was and how much I didn't want to go.

"I know, but-"

"But nothing, Allie." He sighed, "I was called while you weren't here."

"About what?"

"I have to leave again tomorrow."

"But you said you wouldn't!" I almost shouted, tears beginning to form. Was I not allowed just two months with my father?

"It's not under my control. I have to go, and I was told that there was a break in the Chamrosh's treasure case."

"It's not a case, dad! You're not a judge, nor are you the jury! You could retire now, if you wanted!"

"I could, but it's always good to have something left over. Look, Allie, I know you're upset, and with good reason, but it's out of my control. I promise next time-"

"You said that last time! I promise next time I'll spend some more time with you, I'll have at least a month off and we'll spend some time together. You lied!" I hadn't had much to eat, but I wasn't hungry all of a sudden. I stormed out of the dining room and into my bedroom, trying to hold the tears back.

This happened every time; he always promised he'd spend time with me, then some work-related nonsense would appear out of nowhere and he'd have to go on another excavation instead of staying with me. And honestly, I was quite sick of it.

I didn't speak to him for the rest of the night. In fact, I fell asleep with tears still rolling down my face.

When I awoke the next day, he was already gone. I should've known better then to storm off without even saying goodbye; I knew he would leave early in the morning.

I lay in bed for a little longer before deciding that I could not change the past, and it would just be best to continue on with my life the way that it normally was; boring and without my father.