Without You, I'm Just Me

I got scars from tomorrow I wish you could see

"What's going on?" Lee asked as he began to rake the leaves.

"Mr. V--"

He cut me off, "Just call me Lee, Pete."

"I'm sorry," I muttered quickly, "I don't even know how to begin...to tell you about this."

"Last time someone said that to me they were asking for my daughter's hand in marriage," he smirked, "I said no."

"Wait, what?"

"Pete, I may've been born at night, but not last night. I know when my kid doesn't want to get married."

"I'm confused."

"I told Rob no, but it didn't stop him. I can't control them."

"That's not it, Mr. V--"

"Lee, Pete," he reminded, "now what do you need to talk to me about? You okay after your whole divorce fiasco?"

"What? No."

"It's all over the TV," he explained as he looked up at me, "I know you're a jerk and all, but I don't think you'd be that much of an asshole to just leave your wife."

"I didn't--she had the papers, I just signed," I stammered, "Lee, it's not about me, at all. It's about Naomi, and I want you to please...just, tell her that the kids told you."

He cocked a brow, "Told me what, boy? You're jumping all over the place."

"About her and Rob," I spat out, "he's been beating her up. She showed me this scar she has from when he cut her!"

Lee stopped raking and looked me fully, "Whatcha tryna say now?" He looked like he wasn't hearing me correctly.

"Rob's been beatin' up on Naomi," I breathed, "and she's been begging me and the kids to keep it a secret."

His jaw set tight, "In front of the kids? That son of a bitch hit her in front of Lewis and Benji?"

I nodded, "I've begged her to leave, I've begged her to do anything but stay with him, but she's...I had no choice but to threaten her! I wish I could--"

"Threaten her how?" His fist tightened around the handle of the rake.

"I said if she didn't leave Rob I was gonna take the kids from her. That's why they broke up 2 months back," I stammered, "I've hit him, I've threatened him too, and...and I didn't get anywhere."

Lee dropped the rake, "Is he there now?"

"I think so."

"And you just left her there?! Why didn't you tell me before?!"

"Because she was crying and begging me! I love her, Lee, I couldn't--"

"You could have called me!" He snapped at me, "How dumb are the 2 of you?"

"I'm sorry--"

He raised his hand, "I'm gonna go kill him."

Lee went up the grass and I followed; in the house he called out to Amy, who replied from the kitchen. I followed him like his shadow; "What's wrong?" Amy asked him; the kids were all around.

Lew exhaled deeply, "Abbey, take Lew and Benny to your room."

"How come?"

"It's important, okay? Just, please, baby doll."

Abbey nodded and the kids climbed out of their chair and rushed off to Abbey's room. Amy looked at us, first at me and then at Lee, "Oh God, I know that look. What's going on with Naomi?"

Lee looked at her with a serious, pointed look, "I'm going over there to kick Rob's ass. I might be arrested, so I'm preparing you for--"

"Wait, what?!" She exclaimed, "What did that boy do? He's a sweetheart!"

"He's a little wolf in sheep's clothing," Lee growled, "I'm serious, Amy, I'm gonna kill that little bastard."

"What did he do?"

"Remember how Naomi told us she slipped with a pair of scissors and cut her hip? That motherfucker cut her!"

"How do you know?"

"I know," he said, "Pete told me and I know my kid...I was just too stupid--too blind to get the truth outta her."

Amy frowned, "So, what Lewis said is true, he pushed her back in August?"

"Yeah," I said, "I...she begged me, Amy, I'm sorry. Okay, I know that--"

"Pete, stop," Lee said, "you gonna come and handle this with me?"

"Surely you can't be serious?!" Amy snapped at him.

"She's my daughter," Lee stated, snapping back at Amy, "if it were Abigail, or even you, I would do the same damn thing."

Amy's scolding features smoothed over, "Don't kill him, alright? Just...put a hurtin' on him."

Lee turned and gestured for me to follow. I did, because I hadn't seen Lee this mad since he caught me in Naomi's bedroom all those years ago. When we got into his car, he drove with his fists tight around the wheel.

"I wanted to tell you, I was going to, but--"

"I know," he replied shortly, "just forget it."

"I love her," I stated next.

"I know," he repeated, "like I said, I wasn't born last night. But hell, I feel like I was."

The rest of the short ride was quiet and once we got to Naomi's Rob's car was still in the drive way. Lee got out and I followed; "I'm not kidding, Pete, I'm gonna kill him."

"I know how you feel, Lee."

Lee didn't reply; as soon as we got to the door, he didn't knock, he just opened the door. Almost immediately, we heard her crying and her praying, begging. Lee took off for her bedroom and I followed, still.

It was basically a blur; Lee grabbed Rob from on top of Naomi, on her bed and threw him onto the floor, "What the fuck do you think you're doing?!" Lee shouted, then kicked him once he was down.

"What the hell?" Rob grunted, "I didn't--I wasn't hurting her! Tell him, Naomi!"

Naomi shook, she was naked from the waist down, her shirt was up at her throat, and her bra strap was torn. I grabbed her sweats from the floor and found her underwear had been ripped off. She scrambled to put them on and stared at Rob; I stood beside her, Lee watched her; "What did he do?"

Naomi began to cry again, she couldn't speak. I went over and wrapped my arms around her and she cried against me. I heard Lee kick Rob again, "You're fucking dead, you animal!"

"I didn't do anything!" Rob struggled to stand; Lee grabbed him by his collar and hit him in the face. "Naomi! Naomi, tell him!"

Naomi just cried and told Lee to call someone. Rob snapped at her, "You bitch!"

Again, Lee hit him, "Shut up. Stay there. Pete, call the police."

I sat Naomi down and grabbed my phone. I called 911 and explained the situation; the operator said she'd send an officer and an ambulance. Naomi panicked when I told her that an ambulance was coming; "No! No, I'm okay!"

"You need it," Lee told her sternly.

Rob was kneeling on the floor with Lee still gripping the collar of his shirt; Rob snarled at us, Naomi only looked away. Lee finally said, "I'm taking this asshole to the living room. Make sure Naomi's okay," he yanked Rob up, quickly smashing his face against the threshold of the door, causing us all to wince.

Rob was now dizzy and spun on his feet as Lee roughly pulled him out the room. I looked to Naomi and asked, "What did he do?"

"Nothing," she murmured, "he didn't start anything until 5 minutes ago when I told him to leave."

"He didn't..." I looked at her lap and she shook her head, "are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm sure," she mumbled, "my head hurts."

"What'd he do?" I asked again.

"He grabbed me by my hair," she said.

It wasn't long before the police showed up and handcuffed Rob, taking him to the squad car. They were shocked to see his face, I'm guessing Lee hit him a couple more times in the living room. "Jesus Christ, you broke his nose!" One cop exclaimed.

Naomi groaned, "Oh, fuck...dad."

"Thank God for your old man."

Naomi stood up and led the way to the living room. Her dad was speaking to the police in the hall leading to the front door; they all looked to Naomi; "Naomi," an officer said, "come and tell me what happened."

Naomi looked at me and then at the officer, following him into the living room. I stood aside, the send officer went outside, telling a medic that Naomi was fine and to leave. It was all so surreal, I didn't feel like I had any part in it; it was like I was a fly on the wall.

The officer speaking to Naomi returned, "We'll be in touch," he said, "Rob's going to be booked and have bail. If he's bailed, he cannot come back, if he does, call us."

"Thanks," the officer shook Lee's hand. Both officers were gone and it all was quiet then. Lee exhaled, "I'm gonna get you some stuff."

"I need to shower," Naomi mumbled.

"You can do it at my house," Lee replied, "after, me and you are gonna talk."

"What's there to talk about?"

"You know exactly what there's to talk about," her dad said shortly, "Pete told me what's been going on."

Naomi looked back at me, she had no look of anger or disgust, or betrayal. She just looked at me; she looked a little relieved. I couldn't do anything, at all, I just stood there.

"We can talk now," Naomi stated flatly.

"Okay," Lee turned, "why didn't you tell me that little prick was putting his hands on you?"

"I don't know," she answered.

"Did he ever hit the kids?"

"Not like he hit me."

"How did he hit them?"

"He only spanked Lewy, and it was twice."

"Once is a fucking enough!" Lee shouted, "Why didn't they tell me?"

Tears filled her eyes, "Because I told them not to!"

"Why not? What--"

"I thought it would stop!" She cried, "I thought he would stop, dad! I didn't know he was crazy, okay?! I thought he would stop and we would be okay and things would be normal. I was in love with him."

"That wasn't love," he spat out.

"I know that now! He was only here to get his things but he..." She stopped and placed her palms against her face, turning her body around, facing away from us.

Lee surpassed me; I was exactly like a fly. A painting with a beating heart. Scooby-Doo villain in the wall, watching with moving eyes.

Lee stood in front of Naomi, "But he what?"

Naomi dropped her palms, "He was begging me to forgive him and told him no."

"Forgive him for what?"

"I rather not talk about it," she murmured, I barely caught it.

"Alright, what did he do next?"

"Didn't you hear what I told that cop?" She questioned angrily.

"No, we weren't in here."

She sat back against the couch, "He came at me and was accusing me of having sex with Pete because he caught him here this morning. I ran to my bedroom and then to the bathroom, I locked the door and had no way to escape. I begged him to stop and I kept telling him that I forgive him...I wanted him to stop," she breathed, "he kicked the door in and got me; I was in the bathroom for 10 minutes before you guys showed up."

Lee looked at me, then at Naomi, "It's a good thing Pete told me then."

"I guess," she mumbled.

Lee knelt, "Hey, I don't hate you and I don't blame you, but I really wish you woulda told me."

Naomi exhaled again, "I need to see Lewy and Benji. Can we just go?"

"Are you alright?"

"I'm just fine," Naomi replied; she and her dad stood, "lemme put my shoes on...get some stuff."

"I'm gonna check out your door," Lee followed Naomi as she went to her room, then he put his hand on my shoulder, "help her, get some stuff for the kids."

I nodded dumbly and followed them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm, what do you guys think? That wasn't the chapter I've been raving about, so be prepared ;)
Tomorrow, I may come home with 2 boyfriends! But, Mattie told me not to dress up because -as he says- Pete Wentz should be able to recognize beauty when he sees it. (Ain't Mattie the greatest?) I may put on faux war paint just to be clever, and I'm really hoping to at least say hello to the guys. I know Patrick will remember me; my mom pet him once so were pretty much besties (lol)
Wish me luck!

xxali