Without You, I'm Just Me

I can't explain a thing; I want everything to change and stay the same

Returning to Naomi's parents house, Amy rushed at Naomi and hugged her. Amy was near tears, and Naomi comforted her; "Mom, I'm okay."

Amy sniffled, "I was worried!"

"I know, I'm fine," Naomi let her go, "where are the kids?"

"In the living room with Abbey."

Naomi gave Amy another hug before turning to me and gesturing me to follow. Lee was left with Amy in the entry, and I could hear them beginning to talk. As soon as we got to the living room, Benji and Lewy shot up. Naomi happily knelt down on her knees and wrapped her arms around them; "Hey babes."

"Mommy, are you okay?" Lewy asked.

Naomi hummed, "I'm just fine, bub."

"Was Robert mean to you?"

Naomi looked at the both of them, her hands on each of their hips, "Yes, but he isn't gonna come around anymore. I promise...I won't ever have Robert over again. I'm so sorry for everything, do you forgive me?"

Lewy just stood there, looking at her as if he didn't believe it, and Benji looked slightly confused, but hugged her again, "I forgive you."

"Lew?" Naomi looked at him, "Do you forgive me?"

Lewy shrugged, "I dunno."

Naomi gave a small nod, "You don't have to forgive me, but just know that I never meant for all the bad things to happen, you understand?"

"Uh-huh."

"Do you hate me?"

Lewy shook his head, "No...I hate Robert."

Naomi hugged the both of them again, "Me too. But we shouldn't hate him because if we do, we'll carry him around all the time. And you don't want to carry that jerk around, do ya?"

"No."

"Then we'll forget about him," Naomi kissed Lewy's head and then Benji's cheek, "I love you guys."

"I love you," Benji said and let Naomi go; he came to me and tugged me hand over to the couch.

Again, I was like a fly.

Naomi held Lewy still, both arms wrapped around him. I saw her begin to cry; Abbey went over and asked, "What's wrong, Navy?"

Naomi wiped her eyes and let Lewy go, "I'm happy, that's all."

The kids all took that as it was and returned to playing. Naomi and I sat with them, engaging; I felt this nice peaceful feeling in my chest. Things didn't feel so grim, my stomach was in the pit any longer. My love for Naomi was growing even more as I watched her, seeing her smile and her small dimples deepen. I wanted nothing more than to kiss her, but I knew that things were on shaky ground and I couldn't mess things up, I couldn't just push myself into the space she had just kicked Rob out of.

I had to wait, and if I could wait 22 years for a girl like Naomi, I could wait just a little longer.


I brought the boys over to see my parents for dinner. My mom gushed over Benji's short hair, and then, after we ate and the boys were off playing, I explained what happened with Naomi. At first, my folks didn't believe me, but after explaining everything, they both had to believe it.

My dad was shocked, my mom was angry; not at me, at Rob. "Thank God you told Lee."

"What prompted you to tell him?" My dad asked.

"I didn't want Naomi to let him back into her life."

"Is she upset with you?" My mom asked next.

"No...at least, I don't think she is. She didn't say anything."

My dad smiled, "I think she's happy you did what you did."

"I had to."

My mom nodded in agreement with my dad, "She's probably grateful, maybe even a little embarrassed about it all."

It bothered me and swirled in my head what Naomi could think about me. She didn't seem angry, and I could only hope. If I never got back together with Naomi, I would at least hope she could forgive me for telling her old man.

"Are you gonna make a move?" My dad finally asked.

He smiled wickedly, then chuckled. "I dunno, dad. I don't wanna pressure her, you know?"

"Yes," my dad hummed, "take your time. Naomi isn't going anywhere, and neither are you, right?"

"I'm stayin' right here."

"Treat this like a delicate operation," my mom input.

"I am, mom, believe me."

"We just want this to work out for you guys," she added.

"Me, too."


I took the boys back over to Naomi's parents. It was time for them to head for bed, so Lee let me in to help change them into their pajamas. He told me Naomi was in her old room sleeping; he had given her some pain killers to help with her headache.

We had to be quiet as we went in, but to our surprise she was awake, watching TV. She smiled, "Hey, did you guys have fun with grandma and grandpa?"

"Yeah," Benji answered, "gramma likes my hair!"

Naomi pulled him up onto the bed with her, "Yeah, it looks awesome, babe. What about you, Lew?"

"It was okay."

"You guys wanna sleep in here or with Abbey?"

"You," they both answered.

"So," I began, "what's going on tomorrow?"

Naomi shrugged, "Tomorrow's Sunday, we usually just hang out. I know it's not exciting, but that's what we do," she exhaled, "we would've taken Hemy for a walk."

"How about we go to the pet store?" I suggested; Naomi began to protest, but stopped her, "We aren't gonna buy a pet. Remember, Navy, we would just go to look at the animals and stuff?"

She smiled, "That was you and Patrick; I only went once."

I laughed, "Well, how about it? We can just look at the puppies and the fishes."

"Hamp-sters too?!" Benji asked excitedly.

I nodded, "Yeah. We aren't gonna adopt them, but if mommy wants to, then you can get one. But, we're just gonna look at them."

"Like a zoo?" Lewy asked.

"Yeah," I chuckled, "like a friendly zoo."

"Can we?" He turned to Naomi, "Please, mommy?"

Naomi nodded, "Yeah, sure. Why not? We aren't gonna get any pets...I may change my mind if you're both good."

"Yes!" Benji exclaimed.

Naomi giggled, "C'mon, babes, get your pjs on, it's time for bed."

I got their pajamas and Naomi and I changed them. I stayed to listen to Naomi read Rainbow Fish to them. It wasn't long before Benji fell asleep, and Lewy was drifting off a few minutes after she finished reading. He held onto my hand, yawning softly; "You'll be back, daddy?"

"Of course I will," I rubbed his fingers, "just sleep, Lew. I'll be here in the morning."

He rubbed his eyes, "'Kay. I love you."

I kissed the top of his head, "I love you, too, buddy."

Soon, Lewy was asleep and I easily slipped my hand from his. Naomi and I got off the bed, "I'll walk you out, I need to lock the door anyway."

I slipped on my shoes and led the way to the front door with Naomi trailing behind me. I opened the door, turned and was ready to say goodbye to Naomi, but I paused when I saw her look at me with this funny expression. "You aren't mad at me, are you?" I asked her.

She frowned slightly, "Mad at what?"

"Me ratting you out to your dad."

Her brow raised, "No, I'm not mad. I...uh, kinda wanted to say...um, you know," she stammered quietly, her eyes casting down as well, "uh...thanks, Pete. Really."

There was this heavy weight that lifted off my shoulders. I breathed, "For real?"

Her eyes met mine, "Yes, for real, dingbat."

I smiled at her, "I thought you were gonna be pissed."

Naomi pushed me out the door, and stepped out into the freezing air with me. She wrapped her arms around her bare arms, "If you hadn't've come, Rob really would've hurt me. I can't...even thank you enough for telling my dad. I'm sorry if I..." She trailed and looked away, "I'm sorry for all the times I yelled at you. I couldn't handle this on my own," I saw tears, "he was gonna kill me, Pete, he told me so."

My smile fell, "I had to tell him. I couldn't stand the thought of you alone with him."

Naomi finally looked at me again, "Thank you for being stubborn and worrying about me," she came close, her arms dropping and taking a hold of my shoulders, "thank you so much."

Then she kissed me. Just like that, her lips pressed against mine gently and sweetly. I felt my heart speed up and my mind fizzle. Naomi's lips turned up against mine, her hand slipped up to cradle the back of me head. I was lost in the moment, I couldn't even move my lips.

She broke our kiss and smiled at me, "Did you forget how to kiss?"

"I was caught off guard," I muttered.

Naomi chuckled and kissed my cheek, "Thank you, again, you jerk."

"It was no big deal."

"Yes it was. A huge deal, Wentz, you don't even know," she placed another sweet kiss on my lips, "I'll see you tomorrow, get home safe."

I was utterly surprised. I wasn't expecting that; none of that! I was sure she was gonna say something harsh and yell at me, but I was mistaken, sorely mistaken.

"Goodnight, Navy."

Naomi smiled at me before returning into the house. I stood on the front porch for a few seconds, replaying what just happened in my head. I couldn't believe it; my lips still tingled.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hugged Peter Wentz. I was sweaty. It was amazing.
What do you guys think of this chapter? I wrote it this morning while I was waiting for Matt to finish his 100th hot dog. I don't even really remember what's there, haha.
Tell me what you think :)

xxali