Without You, I'm Just Me

At the crossroads of dead end

Marlina; Naomi's mom and half-sisters, and brother.

Vita, the oldest, spotted me. It took me a minute to remember her name. She waved, smirking at me, "Hey Pete!"

Gina looked over, a large smile appeared on her face, and then she giggled. Spencer nudged me again, giving a small laugh; I exited the booth, jogging down the steps. Naomi's estrange family came forward; Her mom, Gina, Vita and her little brother, who I couldn't remember was named.

"Nice seeing you again," Marlina waved her fingers at me, "how are you?"

I felt at a loss for words. "Uh...good. You?"

"Great, how's Naomi?"

I looked at them all; Vita and Marlina had this weird menacing look; Gina was grinning at me like I was a chocolate cake and the little boy; Johnny, he was looking me up and down without much of a expression other than, 'who the hell is this fool?'

"She's fine. The boys have the chicken pox, so she's taking care of them," I explained, mindlessly.

Marlina hummed, "Couldn't make the trip to see family?"

"I didn't even know who you were," I sputtered, "I just...decided to come since you needed a DJ. Spencer never told me your name."

"It's my party," Gina said, stepping forward, blocking her mom's view of me, "I asked for you...I was hoping Naomi'd be here."

I exhaled, "Oh, sorry. Naomi's going through some stuff."

"It's fine. I'm glad you showed, I was looking forward to this."

I smiled softly, "Thats awesome. It's gonna be a great party, Gina."

She smiled at me again, not saying anything.

"So," I began, "uh, any request you want me to play? What do you like?"

Gina shrugged, "Whatever makes people dance."

I nodded, "Cool, I can do that. Happy birthday, by the way."

"Thanks."

We shook hands, but I went in for a hug, just to make her feel comfortable. She had stopped smiling, still, she had this happiness in her eyes.

"We should get down to the cater's," Marlina said, "we'll see you tomorrow, Pete."

I nodded, "Yeah."

"Tell Naomi we said hello."

"Yeah, sure," I replied.

Naomi's mom, sisters and brother soon left after that, not saying much else.

I stuck around to help Spencer before retreating to the hotel with him. We hung out, had a few beers and got the list of mixes together. Later on, Naomi called me, well, it was Benji on FaceTime.

"Hi daddy," he waved.

"What's up Benny boy?"

"We was eatin' and then I wanted to see you!"

I smiled, "I miss you, man."

"I miss you too. Are you a DJ yet?"

I laughed, "Tomorrow, Benny. Where's mom?"

"She's washin' the dishes."

"Is Lewy okay?"

"Mm-hm," he hummed, "he puked all over the floor! He said he feels good. He's sleepin'."

I shook my head, laughing again, "Are you better?"

"I is still itchy!" He announced, "My dots is goin' 'way."

"That's good. Can I talk to mommy?"

"Uh-huh," he began to rush off with the iPad; he held it up, I could see the entry of the kitchen, "Mommy! Mommy, daddy wanna talk ta you!"

"Did you FaceTime him?" She asked him.

"Uh-huh."

She giggled and took it; she smiled, "Hey Peter, what's up?"

"You'll never guess whose party I'm working."

She held up the screen, "Who?"

"Your little sister, Gina."

Her brow rose in surprise, "She's turning 16."

"Yeah. It was so awkward. Vita's big now, like...she looks exactly like your mom. Gina looks a lot like you."

"Was Johnny there?"

"Your little brother was there. He's like 10 now, right?"

"Yep, he'll be 11 in April," she tweaked her lips. "Sorry you have to deal with them."

"Gina's cool. She likes me."

Naomi laughed, "She's got a crush on you, Wentz."

"I wanna see!" Benji exclaimed, "Please?"

"Hold on," she told me.

She set the screen down, then I spotted her pick up Benji, sit on the counter and then pick the iPad back up. "Hi daddy."

I waved again, "Nice seein' you again, Benny."

"So, did they ask about me?" Naomi pondered, referring back to her family.

"Yeah, just barely," I frowned slightly, "they didn't seem all that interested, it was weird."

"Well, don't worry about them, they're harmless."

"Daddy!" Benji began, "Will you bring presents?"

I smiled, "Yeah, what do you want?"

He shrugged, "Stuff."

Naomi laughed, "I think Benji would like a new bear, right?"

"A uni-corn!" He spoke enthusiastically.

"If I can find one. If not, I'll wrap myself up with a bow and hop into the house."

He and Naomi both laughed, "Really, daddy?"

"Yeah, why not?"

"Coz that's silly!"

Naomi shook her head, "Sounds like it would be funny."

Benji looked at her, "Yeah!" Then he looked back at me, "Do it, daddy!"

"For sure, and I'll bring presents, too,"

"You're awesome," Benji grinned, "not my fishy, Awesome. You're just awesome by yourself, daddy."

"Thanks, Benny."

•••

I talked with Naomi and the kids for a bit before the party. I got dressed and arrived just before the party began. Spencer was spinning first and I was getting a few drinks.

The place was brimmed with teenagers in expensive clothes, presents in pink wrapping, food and a fountain of chocolate. There was more than a bunch of flashes once Gina made an entrance. Spencer had been the one to announce her arrival; her friends cheered and clapped like she was a super star. It was pretty cool, I couldn't knock it. She dressed in this bright pink dress that went down to her knee, her hair was big, like a beauty queen's, and she wore the highest heels I ever seen on a teenage girl.

She kinda looked like Naomi, made up this way.

Naomi's mom had gotten her own mic and told Spencer to cut the music so she could say something. I didn't catch it, I was busy listening to my own mixes, getting psyched. By the time it was my turn to spin, Marlina had stopped talking and the music and dancing resumed.

The party was over at midnight and I was a little drunk, had some cake and mingled a little. I went down and took pictures with nearly 50 kids and then me and Spencer were driven back to the hotel. The entire night was a blur; I drank just because I could, but it wasn't out of hand.

We got my the room; Spencer crashed on the couch, setting the bags on the floor by the table. I fell into the bed; I was tired and drunk; my phone rang, but I was too tired to get it. I let it ring, kicked my shoes off and fell asleep.

It didn't feel like I was asleep long. Spencer woke me up by shaking my arm hard and fast. I jolted, hearing him call my name frantically, "What the fuck?!" I growled sleepily.

"Dude, you have to get up, it's fucking urgent--it's Naomi!"

I shot out of my bed, falling and stumbling to get up; "What?! What happened?"

He gave me my phone and showed me what was a captured video. The screen was dark, I couldn't tell what it was; "What the hell is this? What's going on?"

"Pete, I...I don't even know how to say it. It's really fucked up. Listen to it, watch it."

I pressed play, seeing just darkness and a sliver of light. I could hear loud voices, but I couldn't decipher what was being said, but then I heard Benji, "Daddy? Daddy, you there? Can you come home?"

There was a crash, but it was still dark. I felt a wave of nausea flood over me.

"Daddy!" He screamed, "Daddy, please!"

It was quiet for a minute. Then a minute turned into 2. Then Benji called out, "Lewy? Lewy?"

Then, a door opened and the light from the hallway came into view. I held my breath as I watched; I saw my son move from what I guessed was the hallway closet. I heard Naomi scream; "No, no!...please! Please!"

Benji was out of sight, only the hallway light was visible. I heard Benji scream, and then Lewy shout, "Hide! Hide! Hide!"

Benji was back in the closet, the door slammed shut; he was crying and I could hear screaming. I listened intently, my heart hammering through my chest, and I couldn't move. Benji was sobbing and it was dark; after a few intense and quiet moments, there was 3 shots. Benji screamed again, and then it was quiet; I dropped my phone, "What the fuck happened?"

Spencer licked his lips, "Rob killed himself in your house."

I looked at my phone, "What about--"

"I don't know," he said with a shake of his head, "everyone's been calling your phone and then they called me. I checked your phone and saw that; the video is 10 minutes long."

I had no words. I was shocked and I felt like I was planted to the floor. Spencer had to grab me and get me to get up and leave.
♠ ♠ ♠
It has begun.
I was so nervous about posting this, honestly. I made Mattie get off his Left 4 Dead game just to read this over and over and tell me what he thought. He said it was blunt and unforgiving, though the beginning of this chapter was "eh". So, the drama is coming, I have to piece it all together.
Tell me what you think :)

xxali

PS I totally forgot: shameless plug of my new story Desperate and Devoted. More Pete Wentz!!