Without You, I'm Just Me

In my mind me and you are so far away all the time.

Lee, my dad and myself all went straight to the police station less than 15 minutes after Naomi was arrested. She had already been booked and was in a cell; since my dad was her lawyer, and claimed that we were his assistants, we got to see her.

Naomi was sitting in a cell by herself, rubbing her knee. I rushed in and she was shocked to see us, I hugged her, kneeling, "Are you okay, Naomi?"

"I'm fine, my knee is aching from the shitty police car seats."

My dad and Lee came in; Lee sat on one side, and I sat on the other. My dad sat in front of her, on the bench, and exhaled, "Did they tell you specifically why they arrested you?"

Naomi nodded, "Manslaughter."

My dad shook his head, "Don't worry, I'll get you off, Naomi. This isn't a big charge, but since you don't have bail, you'll have to stay here--"

"No," Lee muttered, "Naomi cannot stay here."

"Dad, I'll be fine," she muttered quickly.

"No you won't," Lee stood, pacing a moment.

Naomi looked at me, "Tell the boys I'm okay and I'll be home soon."

My stomach was in knots. My dad exhaled again, "I'll get a judge to see you in the morning, Naomi, I promise. They'll post your bail and then we'll pay it, bring you home and work this mess out."

"How can they just do this?" Lee questioned angrily. "She's the one who almost died! She was protecting herself and the kids!"

"I know, Lee, but right now, we need to take a breath and figure this out. It's just a night."

Naomi rubbed her face and then she leaned back against the wall. "We got to bring you some clothes and your pills," I told her. "You can change."

She smiled faintly, "Thanks."

After all that, I gave Naomi the longest hug I could. I was even tearing up, but she smiled and kissed me, "Don't cry."

"I worry," I told her softly, "I hope you'll be okay."

"I'll be fine. I've been in worse situations, you know."

I gave her another kiss. She bit at her lip, "Tell my boys I love them and I'll be home soon."

"I will. I'm sorry this happened to you."

She shrugged, "I'm only sorry for Benji and Lew."

I hated leaving her; watching her sit there and rub her knee. Luckily she had some pain medication and she would be out of it for awhile. Still, I'd rather have her home with me.

"Don't worry," my dad said once we were in the car, "I'll get her out of this. It's ridiculous. I might even sue the police department for this, they know she's disabled."

"Naomi wouldn't allow it," Lee mumbled. "She's too sweet for her own good."

My dad chuckled, "She is."

We returned home, my mom and Amy were there with the kids. Benji ran to me, "Mommy! Where's mommy?!"

"Mommy is just gonna be away tonight--"

"No! No! I wan' her here! I want mommy!"

I picked him up and held him as he began to cry. I sighed softly, kissing his head, "Me too, Benny."

"Is mommy in trouble?" Lewy asked.

"No," my dad said, "she's not. She'll be home tomorrow, I promise."

I sat with the boys; Abbey asked why Naomi was arrested. Amy said, "Because the police are idiots."

Abbey giggled, as did Amy. But it was the truth. If the police didn't believe she killed in self defense then they're really idiots.

Jesus, who can you trust these days?


I was there with Lee and Amy at the court house the next morning. The night before was hell; the boys cried and slept in bed with me. We were worried about how Naomi slept, and when he came into the courtroom with my dad, she looked as if she hadn't slept. he had heavy eyelids and her shoulders were slumped. She was sluggish and tired.

I wanted to rush over and help her when she limped in. I bit at my lip, she had smiled at me, despite how tired she looked. I could tell she was in pain, my dad helped her, and it took a lot for me not to be angry and shout and take Naomi out of the courtroom and take her home.

Naomi stood with my dad in front of the judge. The DA charging Naomi spoke first, "We're charging Naomi A. Valentino for the deliberate murder of Robert Coppola Schwartzman."

My dad said, "Murder wasn't issued in the warrant. What is here is the lesser charge of third degree manslaughter. And my client had no choice--

The judge raised his hand, silencing my dad, "How do you plead?"

"Not guilty," Naomi said shakily.

"We recommend she be placed in jail until her hearing with the minimum of $600,000 bail--"

My dad cut him off, "Whoa! That's outrageous! My client is not a flight risk and is a disabled person. She has 2 children at home who miss and need her."

The judge again nodded, "Bail is set at $25,000. We'll adjourn September 10th; I suggest you keep yourself clean, Ms. Valentino."

Naomi nodded, "Yes sir."

"Can you pay your bail?"

"Yes."

The judge banged his gavel, "The defendant is free to leave upon paying bail. Case dismissed."

My dad hugged Naomi and turned to face us; "Naomi has to return to her cell and we'll pick her up as soon as we pay."

It wasn't soon enough. I couldn't even say bye while she was in court. The officers whisked her away, and then we were out and heading to the police station.

My dad had gone in and paid her bail and it took a little over 10 minutes for them to come out. I immediately jumped out the car and rushed to her. Naomi laughed softly, "Whoa!"

I hugged and kissed her, "I missed you."

"Maybe I should be arrested more often."

I shook my head, "I don't think I can stand being without again."

She cupped my cheek, "Me either. Can you carry me? My knee fucking hurts and I don't think I can walk anymore."

I picked Naomi up, carrying her to the car. Lee opened the back passenger door of my dad's SUV and helped me put Naomi in. She sighed, "God, my knee is killer!"

"We'll be home soon and you'll have your pills."

"How're the boys? Are they okay?"

"They're fine," Lee said, "they're at your house with Dale and they miss you. They can't wait to see you."

"I can't wait to see them," she smiled, "I feel like I've been away for ages. I miss their little faces."


I carried Naomi inside and as soon as I put her down, Benji came rushing towards her. He stopped in front of her, "Can I hug you?"

Naomi giggled, "Yes, you can hug me any time, silly Benny."

He came forward and wrapped his arms around her hips. Naomi sighed and smiled. Benji grinned, "I missed you, mommy."

"I missed you too, Benny, so, so much."

Naomi sat on the couch and immediately Lewy came over and sat on the couch, hugging her with Benji. My mom cooed, "Aw, how cute!"

Naomi sighed contently, each arm around the boys. They looked tired, especially Naomi; it didn't take her more than 5 minutes to fall asleep. Her parents left, as well as mine, and let Naomi and the boys nap together.

I cleaned up, doing dishes and washing clothes. I know how Naomi hates clutter and I didn't want her to have to get up and want to clean. I made sure she was comfortable and relaxed.

They all woke up about 2 hours later; Naomi wanted to take a bath and the boys played in the living room. I filled the tub, helped Naomi undress and then helped her in.

"I feel like a burden," she said as she laid back in the tub; the water came up over her breast. "You shouldn't have to do this."

"Well I want to," I told her, "there's perks too, y'know."

She raised a brow, "Perks?"

"Yeah. I get to see you naked."

She laughed, "Thats great to know."

"Hey, I'm not complaining."

Naomi curled her finger to beckon me closer. I knelt to her, she kissed me, patting my cheek. We broke away and she smiled, "I love you."

I smiled back at her, "I love you, too."

Naomi exhaled, allowing me to leave. I usually left her when she needed to relax in the tub. I always come and check in on her and find her trying to get out on her own. Naomi wants to do it all on her own, but she can't. Not yet, but we're getting there.

I know that things'll get better. This manslaughter charge will go away, the pain in her knee and back too, and then she'll be able to walk on her own without a cane. It all just takes time.

•••

Naomi did the same regiments as the days passed. It was as if this whole mess hadn't happened. She was the same happy and stubborn Naomi. I took her to her doctor appointment and brought her home.

Things were normal.

3 weeks after the whole incident, we were at home making lunch for the boys. Naomi was actually cooking with me and we were joking around. There was a knock on the door and Lewy attempted to run and get it, but Naomi stopped him, "Hey, no, Lew. You don't know who it is."

Lewy pouted, "Fine."

I chuckled, "I'll get it."

Naomi shook her head, "Nah, I'll do it."

"You sure?"

"Yeah," she said happily, grabbing her cane, "I'll be right back."

We watched her go off to the front door, knocking came again; "I'm comin'!" Naomi shouted.

We all laughed and continued on. I gave the boys their food and sat with them. After 5 minutes, I became curious as to who was at the door; I got up, "I'll be right back, you guys eat," I told them.

They both hummed with food in their mouths. I went towards the front door, and saw that Naomi wasn't there. I opened the door and found her sitting on the steps with a woman with shiny blonde hair.

Naomi looked back, as did the blonde. I wasn't surprised to see Babette there, just that Naomi was talking to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm very happy today, honestly. I have the best boyfriend, the best mother, the best little doggie, the best online friends, and the best readers (even you silent ones). The only worse thing I have in my life are my attention, I'm the worst at acting like an adult, and the worst former friends.

With that being said: Shameless Plug Time!!:
Babydoll
Dead On Arrival
Desperate and Devoted
Difference Between Real Love and the Love On TV
Anti-Venom
I Love Her Anyway
You Hold Me Down With Your Eyes
Pretty In Punk
Girl That You Love
Young Volcanoes

thank you guys for being so awesome, I dig you all very much :]
Stay beautiful

xxali