Without You, I'm Just Me

They say quitters never win

During the recess, my dad pulled me and Naomi aside, "I wanna questioned Lewis tomorrow--"

"I don't think so," Naomi protested quietly, "he was scared up there."

"I know, but we made headway," my dad said encouragingly, "I need to bring up the one incident..."

Naomi hung her head, "Oh God."

"I know it's going to be hard, but this is our chance," my dad sat beside her on the bench just outside the courtroom. "I don't want to do it, Naomi, believe me I don't."

She wiped her eyes, "Tomorrow?"

"Yes. He's trying to salvage his case. Lewy is just the little push we need."

Naomi looked at me, me at her. "What do you think?" She asked softly.

"I don't know. I...think it'll be good, but I'm worried how that other guy'll come at Lew."

My dad nodded, agreeing, "Melvin Deon isn't the devil, but he is sharp. I'll talk with Lewy tonight. We'll talk him through it like before."

Naomi agreed, "Okay."

We returned to the courtroom, where all was quiet. Naomi was more stoic, she wasn't shaking anymore. The next person to be questioned was Rob's brother, Jason.

Everyone knows who he is, and if they don't, they've seen him somewhere before.

I watched Naomi, her shoulders slumped slightly. Deon was giving everyone a full view of Jason. I didn't get his tactics at all, I was sure it was to gain sympathy.

After Jason was sworn in, Deon asked him simple little questions. It was tedious and slightly irrelevant. My dad even asked what the relevance of it.

"To show if Robert Coppola had any anger issues," Deon explained.

"Finish and get to the point," The judge muttered.

Deon continued, asking now, "Have you ever seen your brother hit Naomi?"

Jason was quiet for a good few seconds. He answered slowly, "Y-yes. Once, I didn't believe it, but I know what I saw."

Deon was stuck for a moment. He was losing. "Do you know why your brother hit Naomi?"

Jason looked directly at Naomi, and he nodded. "I'm sorry, Naomi," he said softly. "Robert hit her because he caught her calling her sons' father, Pete."

Naomi's head hung again. Jason was now looking at me. He turned away, sighing.

"Did you brother have any anger issues with any other girlfriends?"

Jason shook his head, "No. I don't think so."

Deon rested and my dad stood. He walked in front of Jason, "Why didn't you tell anyone that Robert hit Naomi?"

"I don't--Naomi told me not to."

"Why?"

"She was afraid of what people would say--what her dad would say."

"Did you know your brother sexually assaulted Naomi in front of her son?"

There was a gasp from the jury stand, it was a man. Out of the 4 women and 8 men, only one was appalled.

Jason inhaled, "Yeah, he told me."

"Who told you?"

"Rob did. He said he felt bad about it, but he said he didn't regret it...said it was to teach her."

"Naomi's children's father, Pete Wentz, got involved, right?"

"Yeah. I'm glad he did."

"Why is that?"

"Naomi could have some help...if I couldn't help, Pete could."

"Did you know your brother was capable of hurting Naomi?"

Jason paused, before shrugging, "I didn't believe it...not like that. Not like on Valentine's Day."

"How did you find out about that day?"

Jason sighed deeply, "My mom called me and told me Robert was dead. She said Naomi killed him, I didn't believe her, not until I read and learned more about what happened. I believed more that he killed himself than Naomi shooting him."

"Why is that?"

"Naomi, she's a sweetheart...she loved my brother and she did everything to help him, but it wasn't enough. I don't believe she would've killed him if she absolutely didn't have a choice."

My dad nodded, "Thank you, Jason, you're dismissed."

After Jason was escorted out, Deon called a detective in. Officer Winters, who had interviewed Naomi and the boys. She was in her uniform, looking a little annoyed. I was starting to think that was just her face. After she was sworn in, Deon stepped up and began.

"Officer Winters, what was your first impression of the scene at Naomi Valentino's home?"

"Looked to be a home invasion. The door was kicked in, there was broken items around. There was blood and hair in the entry to the living room."

"What did you see then?"

"2 children coward by an unconscious woman, one male pressing a towel to her back and a decease male slumped against a wall."

"The male turned out to be Robert Coppola. What did you notice about Robert?"

"He had scratches on his face, bruises on his face. More scratches on his arms and neck. He had defense wounds on his hands--"

"Meaning what exactly?"

"He was trying to defend himself against someone or something."

"What about Naomi?"

"Ms. Valentino had bruises forming on her face, slashes to her face and neck, broken nails, and a gun shot wound to her back."

"What was your impression of Naomi while you interviewed her?"

"She was hesitant and hostile," Officer Winters replied shortly, "she didn't want to speak to me alone, which I didn't understand. She had her boyfriend with her."

"What do you believe that was for?"

"I don't know, I speculate it was to hide something."

My dad shot up, "Objection, the witness has no right to bring up an opinion that slanders my client."

"Overruled, I'll allow it."

My dad sat down, looking at Naomi, whispering something I couldn't hear.

Deon rested and then it was my dad's turn. I held my breath, hoping he'd win this one too.

"Officer Winters, were you aware my client had been suffering abuse from the decease?"

"Not until after."

"Wasn't your partner, Officer Jennings, one to arrest Robert Coppola for stalking Naomi Valentino?"

She paused. "I think so."

"Naomi was afraid of Robert, wouldn't it be convenient to have a companion with her at all times, despite the fact she had killed him in self defense?"

Silence again. "I-I wouldn't know."

"What's your opinion?"

She sighed, "I think so, yes."

"The scene of the homicide was disturbing, was it not?"

"Yes."

"You said things were broken, the door was kicked in. Naomi was frightened for her life, more so for her sons'. If it were you, wouldn't you do anything to protect your sons?"

She sighed in annoyance, "Yes."

"Even killing a man who shot you?"

"Yes."

My dad gave a small nod, "Thats all."

Officer Winters was escorted off, and the judge banged his gavel, "We'll adjourn tomorrow morning at 10:30."

People filed out, I waited for Naomi and my dad with Lee. My dad and Naomi emerged not long after. Naomi looked drain, "Take me home," she murmured.


Naomi stayed with the boys after the trial. The whole evening, she was glued to their sides, playing with them. Naomi kept apologizing to Lewy, who didn't seem all that phased about it. I knew he'd talk to his doctor about it. He was just happy to have Naomi with him, playing and laughing.

My dad had talked to Lewy about the next day. Lew didn't seem all that pleased to do it again, but he knew he was helping Naomi. I could see Naomi was having second thoughts.

Later that night, after our folks had left, we put the boys to bed. Naomi sat at the end of Lewy's bed, apologizing to him. He had smiled. "It's okay, mommy."

Naomi looked as if she was going to cry, "It's not okay. I love you, I never wanted any of this to happen. I wasn't as good a mommy as I should've been."

Lewy got up from his covers and hugged Naomi. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she hugged him back. Lewy gave a small sigh, "You're a good mommy," he said, "the bestest one."

Naomi chuckled, I smiled. She sniffed, "You and Benny are the bestest kids ever."

He giggled, "I love you mommy."

Naomi set him back in bed, "I love you more, bubba."

She tucked him in and kissed his head. He smiled at us, "Goodnight mommy, 'night daddy."

"Goodnight, Lew," I waved at him.

Naomi exhaled and followed me out the room, closing the door over. We went into Benji's room, where he was flipping through a little book. Naomi sat at the end of his bed, "Benny Boy, what're you doin'?"

"Tryna read," he said, "I can't yet."

We both laughed. Naomi kissed his head. "Ready for bed, pumpkin?"

"Uh-huh," he nodded and laid back in his bed.

Naomi tucked him in, "Tomorrow, you and Lew are gonna stay with grandma, so in the morning, I want you to get all your favorite stuff together, okay?"

I frowned slightly, the boys were supposed to come to the courthouse tomorrow with us.

"Okay," he said. "Ya gonna be gone all day?"

Naomi nodded sadly, "Yeah, but I'll come home and I'll cuddle with you and Lew."

He smiled, "Promise?"

Naomi held out her pinkie, "Pinkie promise."

Benji wrapped his little finger around hers. "Love you mommy."

Naomi kissed him again, "I love you too, pumpkin."

Benji looked over at me, "Love you daddy."

"I love you, little dude."

We turned on his nightlight and left his bedroom, leaving his door open a little. We went to our bedroom, undressing. I slipped into bed in just my briefs and Naomi slipped on a shirt with just panties underneath.

Naomi climbed into bed, "I need to talk to you."

"Is it about tomorrow?"

"Yeah. I don't want Lewis to testify. I don't care if it's the push we need, I won't traumatize him anymore than I already have."

I shook my head, "Navy, this'll--"

"No, I don't care. I don't want Lew to go through it anymore."

Naomi was getting ready to cry. I felt for her, and I understood what she meant. I nodded, "Okay."

She blinked away tears, "I'm sorry if I'm jeopardizing this, but I'd rather save Lew from telling everyone what he saw. It's bad enough it happened, it's bad enough he had to witness me kill Rob--I won't let him go through this, Pete."

"I understand, Naomi," I murmured, "I understand completely.

"I'm scared, but I worry more about the boys. They come before me, always, and I shouldn't have brought them in this mess."

I cupped her cheeks and kissed her, "It's okay, Naomi. The boys will stay with mom--"

She stopped me, "Pete, you don't have to come to the trial. Honestly, I don't think I could let you hear what he's done to me."

I tucked hair behind her ear, "I want to be there for you, Naomi."

"You won't look at me different?"

I shook my head, "Never."

Naomi sighed and laid down, I followed her actions. I leaned in and kiss her forehead, then her lips. All I wanted was to comfort her, that's all, because it hurt me seeing her -or our kids- so down and depressed.

"I never been so tired in my life," she whispered, shutting her eyes.

"Sleep," I murmured, kissing her again, "get as much sleep as you can."

Naomi hummed softly, rolling over on her side to face me. A pillow clutched under her head, Naomi snuggled in, exhaling. I scooted close to her, kissing her forehead again, "I love you."

"I love you too, Pete."
♠ ♠ ♠
I had to watch a good portion of law and order to try and get the courtroom scene just right. If it's lame, I know, I suck at trying to convey someone I'm not.
Anyway, part 3 is coming up, and it'll be the last and then...(drum roll) the verdict. Do you know which way I'll go?

xoali