Without You, I'm Just Me

No one gets anyone, so who cares?

Naomi didn't look at me, she kept her eyes on Kate. I was so confused, I actually said, "What?"

Kate waved her fingers at me. Naomi turned and looked down, "Lew, go to your room, alright?"

Lewy got off the couch and raced past me. I went over and stood beside Naomi, both of us focused on Kate. I wasn't sure what the hell was going on.

"It's nice to see you," Kate said with a sickly smile on her face.

"What do you want?" Naomi asked her. "You just walk in here like you own the place, what the hell is wrong with you?"

"I just came here to talk," Kate's smile didn't falter.

"Talk about what, Katy? We have nothing to talk about. You and I aren't friends, we never will be--we never were!" Naomi spat. "You used me and you said awful things about me like I was your enemy, when in reality I was your friend and I helped you through a lot."

Kate's smile fell, you could feel the tension in the air.

"You owe me," she muttered.

Naomi scoffed, "Owe you what? What the hell do I owe you? You already slept with Pete, when you knew exactly how I felt about him."

Kate had nothing to say, I was feeling hot from the thick tension.

"I don't owe you shit, Katy! You've been nothing but a pain in my ass since the moment I met you! All I've ever done was support you and help you when Eric dumped your ass! I lost a baby because of all the mess I dealt with, with you and Eric! You owe me, and you know what? All I want from you is to stay out of my life."

Kate snarled and I stepped between her and Naomi, "Leave," I told her flatly, "you don't want me to call the police because you're breaking the protection order I have against you."

Kate growled and pushed me out the way. I only stumbled to the side of the couch; she got to Naomi and pushed her. Naomi fell back on the couch, but stood back up, facing Kate. I went over, grabbed Kate's arm, but she shoved me harder; she and Naomi were staring angrily at each other. I stumbled to stand, hearing Naomi say, "I'm not gonna hit you or push you back, Katy."

I didn't understand what Kate's motives were. I didn't get why she was here. She was obviously angry and I didn't know why.

"You're a bitch," Kate spat at her. "You're a stuck up cow, you know that? You and Pete, you're both fucking sell outs."

Naomi didn't retort, we both just looked at her.

"You can't hurt me, Katy," Naomi murmured. "You can say what you want, you can't hurt me. I've been through worse and you calling me a bitch and a sell out isn't gonna hurt me any more than it hurts you."

Kate snarled on last time before stomping out. The door slammed and still Naomi and I paused, not knowing what to say. I finally turned around and looked at Naomi; she had a blank expression on her face, "You okay?"

She nodded, "I'm fine."

I pulled her into a hug, kissing her cheek, "Sorry about all of this."

"It's okay, it's in the past," she mumbled against my shoulder.

I rubbed her back, "I wish I could take it all back, Naomi. I never meant to--"

She pulled back, shushing me, "Pete, just forget about it, okay? It happened and it doesn't bother me anymore. It's all in the past and all I care about it the future; me, you and our kids."

I smiled, "You really are a saint."

She shook her head, "Nah, it's just how I feel."

I kissed her, pressing my forehead against hers, "I can't express how much I love you."

"Me either," she exhaled, "I love you from here to Pluto."

I laughed, "Ditto, babe, ditto."

•••

The next few days were sort of a blur -yet again. We were preparing for the wedding in just a week and to be honest, it was rough. Things were coming together, but slowly. We got the cake and food catered by a guy who knows Naomi and loves her, so he gave us a big discount and extra stuff for everyone. We rented space where we used to perform at the Metro, and Patrick and Sabrina offered to set it up for us, along with Joe and Marie. Rae and Ricky set up her large, empty salon space, decorating it in reds and pinks, with black trim, they sent us pictures and we agreed that it looked wonderful.

Two days before the wedding Naomi, my mom, Amy, Abbey and the rest of her girlfriends went out to find her a dress. I took the boys with me to get them suits; Lewy had complained that he felt like a penguin. Patrick and Andy were with me, laughing at Lewy going stir crazy in his suit.

Benji loved his suit; "I look like James Bond!"

"Super spy," Andy chuckled and gave him a high-five.

"Can I wear somethin' else?" Lewy asked me.

"What don't you like?" Patrick asked him.

"Stupid tie," he yanked at it.

I knelt down and untied it, "Maybe we can 86 the tie."

"86?" Lewy raised a brow at me.

"It means get rid of it," I told him. I slipped his tie off, "Better?"

"Yeah," he said, "I still look like a penguin."

"You'll only wear it for a little while. You know mom is gonna love you in it, buddy."

Benji stood next to Lewy, "We look cool! We're spies, Lewy!"

Lewy laughed, "Yeah."

I knew Benji could turn it around.

"You gettin' fitted?" Patrick asked me.

"I got mine at home," I told him. "Everything's nearly done."

"What's left?" Andy asked.

"Flowers, we actually went invites out the day after we told everyone."

"Where's mine?" Andy frowned mockingly at me.

"Like you need one?"

"Yeah, what if I'm savin' personal stuff like that?"

I chuckled, "I got some at home, I'll give you one, Hurley."

"Thanks."

I looked down at the boys, "C'mon dudes, lets go take these monkey suits off."

"Sup'a spies!" Benji exclaimed, "Sup'a spy suits, dad!"

"Okay, okay," I laughed, "let's take off your super spy suits so they won't get dirty."

I took the boys into the dressing room and helped them undress and redress in the clothes they came in with. I gave the suits to the tailor so we could wrap them up for me, and then I met the guys in the front. I paid after they were set and then we left; I put the suits in the trunk and got in the driver side when Patrick sat up from and Andy was in the back with the boys, buckling them in for me.

"What're you and Naomi gonna do for a honeymoon?" Andy asked.

"Uh, we're just gonna do some stuff. Ricky's gonna take the boys for us."

"We can do take them too, man," Andy said, "I dig them. You guys wanna hang out with me and Trick?"

"Yes!" Both of the boys exclaimed.

I laughed, "You guys can take them for the weekend for us. I think I'm gonna take Naomi to Lake Michigan, get a hotel and just take some days to ourselves."

"Hmm, babies?" Patrick chuckled, nudging me.

"Maybe, why?"

"Just wonderin'."

"We just wanna be alone together," I said with a shrug. "We haven't really talked about it, but I wanna take her somewhere...where she can relax for a little while, but be close to home."

"Take however long, man," Patrick offered, "we'll hang with the kids."

"We won't be gone long because Naomi doesn't wanna be away from the boys."

"I get that," Patrick nodded, "but whatever you guys decide to do we'll help."

"Thanks," I told them.

"No problem."


After I dropped Andy and Patrick off I went home. The boys had gone inside, seeing that Naomi was home. I grabbed their suits and followed behind, shutting and locking the door behind me.

I heard Naomi laughing with the boys. I went in and found her showing them her phone, but she quickly put it away when she saw me, "Hey!"

"Hey," I went over and kissed her, "what's on the phone?"

"My dress. It's a surprise, you can't see it until I'm walking down the isle."

I smirked, "Really?"

"Yes really," she stuck her tongue out. "Andy sent me a picture of my spy kids, they looked adorable in their suits."

"Lewy's not wearing a tie."

Naomi frowned and looked down at him, "Why not?"

"I don't like it," he said.

"Ah, well, I guess it's okay," Naomi kissed his head. "You guys will look great either way. Now, go play, dinner will be done in about an hour."

Benji and Lewy took off towards the living room, leaving me and Naomi alone. I kissed her again, "The guys said they'd take the boys for us for our honeymoon."

She smiled, "Where exactly are we going for our little honeymoon?"

"I was thinking on Friday we could go out of town, get back on Sunday and get a puppy."

"That sounds great," she pecked my cheek. "I'm excited."

"What's left to do?"

"We gotta go get the rings tomorrow," she said, "Rae already picked up the flowers and they're in Ricky's giant refrigerator in his garage."

I shook my head with a laugh, "This'll be some wedding."

"Hey, man, we did it in a week! We're amazing."

I kissed her again, "Mm-hm, we are."

Naomi and I went to our room where I set the boys suits in the closet. Naomi took off her jeans and pulled sweats on, "My jeans don't fit anymore, they're too big," she muttered, "this sucks."

"Just eat," I told her.

"Easy for you to say," she slugged my shoulder playfully. "What if I got fat?"

"More of you to love."

She laughed, "You're silly."

"I'm just speaking the truth, babe," I kissed her head, "I don't care what you look like, I'd like you either way."

She wrapped her arms around me, "Aw, Pete, you know just what to say to make me swoon," she kidded in a sweet voice.

"I'm a hopeless romantic."

She kissed me, "That you are, love."

•••

The next day, while the boys were at school, Naomi and I went to pick up our rings. Though the morning had been okay, I knew there was something bother Naomi. She had been quiet through breakfast and when we dropped the boys off at school.

Our drive to the jewelry store was quiet. Naomi was looking out the window and I was wondering what she was thinking. I cleared my throat and asked, "Whats wrong?"

Naomi looked over at me, "I feel bad."

"Feel bad about what?"

"I feel bad for Kate," she murmured, "she was so mad at me. I didn't even do anything to her...I don't know, I just...I feel terrible."

"You didn't do anything to her," I muttered, "why should you feel bad?"

"I just do. Kate was my best friend, Pete...she wasn't really my friend though...all she wanted was you and she hates me because--" Naomi stopped. "This is stupid."

I had nothing to say. I'm not too good at this stuff. It all seemed to fucking complicated.

"What do you want, Naomi?" I found myself asking.

"I want to forget how I feel towards her. She tried to wreck everything and...God, she was so phony!" Naomi snapped. "She smiled in my face knowing good and well she hated me and all she wanted was you."

"You didn't know."

"I feel like I should have. I can't believe her, it's still...it bugs me."

I took a hold of her hand and interlaced our fingers, "Is there anything I can do?"

She sighed and shook her head, "Nah...it's okay, I'll try and get over it."

I could only squeeze her hand again, then kiss her knuckles. We were silent the rest of the way, and when we arrived, we got out the car and I went around to her side, meeting her. Naomi gave me a look of confusion; I bit at my lip and wrapped my arms around her, pulling her in close.

"What's this for?" She asked against my neck.

"I just love you so much I don't ever want to not hug you, baby."

She giggled and kissed the side of my neck, "You're the best."
♠ ♠ ♠
It's all windy and mopy in Rogers Park today/evening, and work was great, I love kids. Aside from all that I haven't been feeling like myself. I've had a terrible feeling all this weekend and Monday and Today. I shouldn't vent here, so I won't.
Please, don't feel bad for me, I'm just feeling bad right now, but I'll feel better soon :)

My heart is with all the hurt and homeless folks in Southern Illinois

Now to the story; I'm not too good on describing jewelry, I'm a sub-par writer who gets lucky once in a while. So, here's what Naomi's ring looks like (0)
Some of you amazing writers need to give me tips on how to describe these things!
Fuck, I know a lot of amazing writers, you guys are sick! I love you!

xxali