Without You, I'm Just Me

Everyone I know wants to take me in

The day after Benji's party, my dad had called me into the kitchen early in the morning. I was really tired, but he told me it was important so I had to get down there. He had a cup of coffee and poured me one, "I got a call from Kate Gutierrez's attorney."

"I almost forgot," I mumbled. "What's up?"

"She wants a deal," my dad said shortly, "they don't want a trial and she doesn't want to do a lot of time."

I scoffed, "She shoulda thought of that before she decided to burn my house down."

"Do you and Naomi want her to go through a criminal trial?"

"I dunno. I havta talk to Naomi."

"I'm willing to offer her probation and her paying damages."

"I'll see how Naomi feels, dad. It's totally up to her. Where is Kate?"

"She in jail awaiting our decision."

I exhaled, "I'll go wake Navy up."

My dad hummed and I let me go; I took the mug upstairs with me. I went into my room and saw Benji and Lewy were up, both rubbing their eyes, "We're hungry," Lewy said.

"Grandpa's downstairs, maybe he'll make his famous waffles for ya."

Benji grinned and he and Lewy got up and headed downstairs, calling for my dad. Naomi was stirring, and grumbling sleepily to herself, I went and sat at her side, "Babe?"

She hummed, rolling over, "Too early."

I chuckled, "I needa talk to you for a second."

"But my breath smells," she mumbled.

"Does it sound like I care?"

She rolled back over, "Whadda want, Wentz?"

"What're we gonna do about Kate?" I asked.

She rubbed her eyes, "Send her dumb ass to jail."

"That's what you wanna do?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Dad was gonna give her probation and make her pay damages."

Naomi sat up and continued to rub her eyes, "I think I should go talk to her."

"Talk to her? Why?"

"I want to clear the air. And if she's still a bitch then I'll give her consequences."

I shook my head with a laugh, "For real?"

"For real."

"That's what you wanna do?" I questioned again.

"Yeah. I'll go down their tomorrow, see her and we'll go from there."

"Alright, I'm down for whatever you wanna do."

Naomi yawned and then climbed out of bed, "I'm gonna go get some coffee and eat, wanna come with?"

I smiled and nodded, "Yep."

Naomi took my hand and I followed after her.

The rest of the day we hung out and my dad filled us in what would happen with Kate. We both wanted it to be as simple as possible and quick since we were leaving the following week. Naomi had told us that she'd decide what to do after she visited Kate; my dad wasn't sure at first, but he let up and gave Naomi the okay.

The next day, after we got the boys off to their last week of school, Naomi got ready herself to head to the jail downtown. I watched her dress and help Benji put his shoes on.

"You want me to go in with you?" I asked her.

Naomi looked up at me, "No, I'll be fine."

"You sure?"

She hummed, "Uh huh."

"Do you want me to go and wait for you?"

"No, Pete," she stood, "just stay here, go hang out with Rickster. I'll be fine."

I sighed, "I don't want you to get upset and do something to her."

Naomi laughed, "I can't do anything to her, Pete, she'll be behind glass and there's police there."

"Yeah," I laughed too, "okay."

Naomi knelt to Benji, "Go downstairs with Lew, I'll be there in a second."

Benji turned to me and hugged my hips, "See ya later, daddy."

I shook his shaggy hair, "See ya, Benny."

Naomi came over to me, after Benny took off, and wrapped her arms around my neck, "I can see you're already worried about me."

"Yeah, I am."

"Its gonna be fine, Peter, why're you so worried?"

"I just am, baby."

She cooed, "Aw, you're so weird."

I laughed, "I can't help it."

"I'm just gonna talk to her, alright? I'll be fine. I don't want this to deter our plans. Do you really wanna stay in Chicago or keep flying back for a damn trial? I just wanna give her a chance to see if this changed her perspective."

I hummed, "You're right."

She kissed my lips, "If you're good, I'll come home and make it all worth your while."

I smirked, "What're you offerin'?"

She rocked her hips close to mine, "Whatever you want, sugar."

I grinned now, "Sugar?"

She nodded, her lips brushing against mine, "Yep. Now, you need to just stop worrying about me, hang out and I'll be back with the boys--"

I cut her off, "You're gonna be gone that long?"

She shrugged, "Maybe, maybe not. Don't trip."

I couldn't help but to smile, then kiss her, "Okay."

She kissed me back, "Love you."

"I love you too, baby."

Naomi parted, her hands slipping away, and then she stepped away, grabbing her bag and heading out the room. I sighed and sat down, feeling a little tired and some nervousness. I was worried that Naomi would get angry and do something she wouldn't mean to, but I trusted her.

I exhaled and laid back on the bed. Shutting my eyes, I nearly fell back asleep thinking about finally leaving this town, drama free.


I hung out with Patrick, letting him play some music for me. We joked and watched TV for a bit, talked and all that before Naomi called me. I had sat up on the couch, popping a chip into my mouth, "Sup babe?"

"She learned her lesson," Naomi replied. "I called dad, she's gonna take the deal and we won't have to deal with her."

I chewed and swallowed, "What she'd say?"

"She was sorry..." Naomi trailed, "She cried and begged for me to forgive her...I did, you know, I can't hate her."

"Do you think she was being sincere, Navy?"

"Yes, because she started telling me about her sons...we're alike in a way, and I knew what it was like being away for my babies. I couldn't let her go through that."

I smiled, "You're a saint."

"I'm human, dingbat," she murmured.

I laughed, "Okay, but you're great."

She hummed, "Sure. I'll be home in a bit."

"I'm at the apartment with Patrick."

"Alright, I'll pick up the boys. You wanna meet and have lunch somewhere?"

I looked over at Patrick, he was fiddling with his phone, "Yeah. I'm gonna bring Trickster because if I don't, he'll do Q&As all night."

Naomi laughed while Patrick shot a look at me; "Okay, I'll ask the boys where they wanna eat and text you."

"For sure, baby."

"See you."

"See ya."

I hung up and nudged Patrick, "You're having lunch with me and the wifey."

"What if I have plans?" He shot back.

"Do ya?"

He frowned, "No."

I smiled, "Then you're joining us. Get your ass ready, Patrick."

He flipped me off and stood up, heading to the bathroom.

•••

Things with Kate had settled within the week, and Naomi was making a splash on twitter, and online in general. Everyone was fascinated with her because of the deal she inked went public. I was actually shocked when I learned of it too, because I didn't know, she didn't tell anyone.

Naomi had signed a 10 million dollar contract with Victoria Secret. She was getting 2 million a year, and she was the new "it" girl, or what Perez Hilton said; The return of the real girl. It was awesome seeing everyone infatuated with her, and seeing her name on blogs and TV as Naomi Wentz.

Whenever she was on TV, her old commercials and ads, Benny would jump up and shouted, "That's my mom!" It was crazy, and funny, Benny was ultra proud of her, so was I. Naomi had brushed it all off and continued to be as normal as she always been. Lew was the only one who didn't seem to care, he was proud too, he just didn't get why people cared, and Naomi said the same thing.

When we were alone, days before we were to head to LA, I asked her how she felt about all of this. I had tried to read her, to see what she felt, to understand, but I didn't get anything.

She shrugged, "I dunno...I feel happy, excited. My dad doesn't have to work so hard anymore, Benny and Lew can go to college and me and you don't have to worry about much anymore."

"I have money too, what were you worried about?"

"I mean, if you don't ever want to make music again, I have a little nest egg for us," she smiled.

I understood, "You wanna take care of us all."

"Yeah. Especially my dad," she had swallowed, "he's getting older and I know how hard contracting is on his body. He can retire, he and my mom, and they don't have to worry about anything."

"That's sweet of you," I said softly.

"All this money because of what Robert did to me. I can take care of everyone. All I have to do is show up and take pictures, walk a runway..." She looked off in disbelief.

"It was a blessing in disguise I guess."

She nodded shortly, "I...have to meet with some people--Oprah's people," she laughed, "oh my God, this is so surreal. Oprah wants to talk to me."

I smiled, "Well, you'll be helping people."

She nodded again, "Yeah...I am."

Before we left, Naomi went and visited her parents while I stayed and finished packing a few things. She told me she was gonna give her dad a check, surprise him as a see you soon present. She had tears in her eyes when she said it, I was excited for her, just because this was something she always wanted to do.

When her and the boys came back, she hugged me, "He cried."

I chuckled, "He did?"

"Yeah. He couldn't believe it. He's gonna take a break, he and mom, and plan a vacation for summer."

I patted her back, "How does it feel?"

She exhaled, "Wild."
♠ ♠ ♠
Time skips are coming and the end is near
I'm sick and real annoyed with people putting down my writing and my stories. It makes me wanna throw my hands up and say forget it. I have the flu and my anxiety is through the roof. I'm moving to San Diego in a few days, meaning I'll be on a plane in less than a week. I'll be back in Chicago to deal with some drama in January, and honestly I wanna throw my hands up at life and just say forget it.

Sorry for ranting, but I hate everything but my mom, Mattie and my dog; plus Rae, she's the only friend I have right now, and I wish I knew her in real life.

So, to the people messaging me about how shitty this story is, don't worry it's almost over. To the people who read and comment, and also the ones who don't, and mildly enjoy this, it's almost over. Sorry.

Thanks for reading
xxali