‹ Prequel: Someone To Save Me

You Can Fight Fate, You Just End Up Losing

Telling Daddy

My dad and I walked towards the office and took a seat at the small couch that sat against one wall. I was scared to see his reaction.

“I have to talk to you and I don’t know how you’re going to react when I tell you this. I need you to know that I am so happy.”

“Addison what are you talking about?” he asked in his fatherly tone.

“I know a little bit of how you feel about this subject but I’m hoping that you’ll take my feelings into consideration . . .”

“You’re not pregnant are you? Addison Grace Crosby, you better not be pregnant!”

“Holy hell daddy no! I’m not pregnant.”

“Thank God.”

“I’m dating someone. Who you know really well actually.”

“Oh?”

“Yea, dad, Tanner and I . . .”

“Tanner!”

“Daddy please. Just listen to me.”

“Tanner, Addie?”

“Yea, I don’t know dad we were just friends one minute and then the next both of us just kind of realized that we wanted more. And it’s been wonderful, he makes me so happy daddy, I can be myself all the time. He’s so sweet. I know that you’re not keen on his reputation but he, it’s like we were made for one another or something.”

“Peanut” he said in a calmer tone.

“I know you’re worried about me, I’m you’re ‘little girl’. I get that. But I don’t know when I have felt this happy, this complete. I love him. He’s my best friend and I trust him wholly. I wanted to tell you straight out, rather than just bombard you with it but we’re together.”

“Why isn’t he in here?”

“I wanted to do this.”

“I need to talk to him. Alone.”

“Ok?”

“Now.”

“Ok” I said standing from the sofa. “I’ll get him.” He nodded, but remained sitting. Walking out of the room I was terrified, and apparently that read on my face because as soon as I was in view Tanner was by my side.

“What’s wrong Adds?” he asked holding my face in his hands

“I have no idea how that went, but he wants to talk to you.”

“Ok” he nodded.

“Tanner, I want him to be ok with this, but I don’t know if he will be.”

“I know Addie. I’ll understand, if you decide . . .”

“I don’t care what he says Tanner. I love you. I want to be with you.”

“I’m so glad you said that.”

“Probably shouldn’t make him wait much longer” I said in a hushed and terrified tone.

“You’re probably right” he replied stepping out of my reach and vanishing behind the office doors. I stood there waiting, watching, anticipating there to be yelling.

“Addie, why don’t you come and relax a bit.”

“I can’t mom. I have this horrible feeling that something is going to be said and I’m going to have to choose between daddy and Tanner and I can’t do that.”

“You’re not going to have to choose Addison.”

“You don’t know that” I said feeling my eyes start to water.

“I do. Your father knows that you are very guarded with your emotions, you wouldn’t be saying what you’re saying or doing what you’re doing if it wasn’t true. He just wants to make sure that you’re not the only one. We all knew that this was going to be happening, we just didn’t know when.”

“It’s not like we planned it.”

“I know.”

“I love Tanner, that’s not going to change” I said looking into my moms eyes.

“You have no idea how happy I am to hear that.”

“I love him, so much.”

“How long has this been going on?”

“Halloween weekend.”

“That long and you haven’t said anything?”

“I’m sorry, but we didn’t want to say anything before we were really sure.”

“I understand Addie.”

I looked back towards the office, let out a sigh and turned towards the kitchen, knowing that this might take longer than it would with any other guy. I couldn’t keep the uncertain look off my face as I sat there in the kitchen waiting for him to come back out, to tell me that everything would be fine.

“Addison.”

“Oh, hey Uncle Tangs” I said standing to give him a hug. “Sorry, I’m a little distracted.”

“It’s alright.”

“Thanks for not saying anything about this for the past month.”

“No problem” he smiled.

“Wait what? Kristopher! You knew for a month that they were dating and you didn’t tell me!” Aunt Janie shouted smacking him lightly on his arm. “I can’t believe you didn’t say anything.”

“It wasn’t my place.”

“Tanner and I asked him not to mention it.”

“Oh, alright” my mom sighed standing at the edge of the counter. “Do you want some coffee peanut?”

“Sure” I said not really thinking about anything other than Tanner and daddy. I don’t know how long I sat there waiting for them but when I finally heard the heavy foot falls of Tan and daddy coming our way I jumped from my chair and half-ran to the hall.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment!