‹ Prequel: Someone To Save Me

You Can Fight Fate, You Just End Up Losing

Don't Stress Me Out.

We finished the road trip and were finally back home in Pittsburgh, too bad we’re not going home just yet, first Tanner and I have a detour to the doctors office. I hate doctor offices, they have a harsh sterile smell that seems to cling to your clothes when you leave, always cold, sick people everywhere, and a longer wait in the lobby than you spend time with the actual Doctor. Then occasionally they make you wear that stupid paper gown that looks ridiculous and makes you even colder than you already are.

“Do you want me to wait outside?” Tanner asked when the nurse led me back to the exam room. This is the first time we’ve both seen doctors (besides the team doc) since we’ve gotten married, neither of us knows the protocol when it comes to this.

“It’s probably nothing, just a stress related cold. You might as well wait outside baby. If it’s anything other than that I’ll come get you.”

“You sure?”

“Yea” I said giving his hand a reassuring squeeze. I left him in the closer sitting area and went with her to the scale, my least favorite part, “143” I gasped, somehow I’ve gained 10lbs in the past month. How is that possible? I’ve been eating well and working out like normal, I’ve never been above 136 in my life.

“It’s alright, sweetheart, that’s still a healthy weight for your height” the older woman said in a motherly tone.

“Thanks, I think.”

“Your husband doesn’t seem to mind” she winked, ok so not a mother figure after all. “Alright sweetie, hop on up there” she gestured to the exam table, “we’ll get through this preliminary stuff and get the doc in as soon as possible.”

“Sounds great.” She took my temperature and blood pressure before going into a string of questions.

“Addison, I know I probably shouldn’t suggest this but are you pregnant? All the signs are there, from my experience anyway.”

“I, no, I don’t think . . .” I stuttered flipping through a mental calendar. “Oh, dear. Maybe.”

“There could be more explanations, don’t worry about it. We’ll have the doctor check that out too alright?”

“Yea” I sighed. “Tanner” I added in a small gasp.

“You want me to get him?”

“I don’t know. . . Yea. Please.” She placed a hand on my shoulder in a reassuring manner before stepping out of the exam room. Holy shit, I might be pregnant. Tanner and I could be having a baby. Are we ready for this? We haven’t been married that long really, can we handle this so soon in our marriage?

“Addie?” I heard him say as the door opened slowly.

“Tanner.”

“Are you alright baby?” he asked walking towards me, with a worried look on his face.

“Tanner, I don’t know how to even broach this subject.”

“What is it Addie?”

“I didn’t even think about it until the nurse said something.”

“Think about what?”

“There’s a chance I might be, we might, I could be pregnant Tan.”

“Seriously?”

“Don’t know for sure yet.”

“Addie, this is, this is crazy!” he said still processing the possibility.

“I know, it’s so soon too. . .”

“Adds” he smiled. He placed his hands on either side of my face. “A baby, wow.”

“Maybe.”

“Addison, I love you, and I want to have kids with you whenever that happens. However that happens.”

“Well it can really only happen a certain way” I mumbled. “Tanner, I’m kind of scared.”

“We don’t even know for sure right?” I nodded. “Then don’t be scared. Stress isn’t good for you or the baby.”

“If there is a baby.”

“Either way Adds” he smiled. “I love you.”

“I love you too Tans” I replied as there was a knock at the door, before our family doctor walked in.

“Hi” he said, looking at the chart. “Addison, how are you feeling now?”

“Chilly, but other than that I’m better than I felt earlier.”

“Nausea?”

“Yes, on and off.”

“Have you been feeling more tired than normal?”

“Yea, we’ve been traveling a lot, the team keeps me busy. It’s stressful, and I’ve been a little run down.” He took a look in my ears, nose and throat.

“More than a little” Tanner commented.

“Ok so a lot run down. But with playoffs coming up soon we’re very busy.”

“And your menstrual cycle?”

“Now that I think about it, it’s a few weeks late. But that’s pretty normal for me. I’ve never been regular.”

“Well the stress could be a factor too, but I’d like to take some blood and check things out” he said listening to my heart and lungs. “Your breathing sounds good, heart rate and blood pressure is normal. I’ll have Betty come in and draw some blood, we’ll send it to the lab and call you with the results. In the mean time, rest, lost of fluids, and try to relax a little.”

“Thank you” I said looking over at Tanner. “Don’t stress me out Tans.”

“I’ll try not to Addie” he smiled taking my hand in his as he stood at my side. As the doctor walked out and with in a minute the nurse came back in with a tote full of medical supplies.

“Alright, we’ll get this over with so you can get home” Betty said putting on some gloves.

“Awesome” I said taking a deep breath, I looked at Tanner with a grimace.

“Just look at me, you won’t even know when she’s doing it.”

“Thank you Tans” I said looking up into his amazing deep brown eyes. He smiled, looking down at me. “What?”

“Nothing” he said with a dangerous smirk.

“Tanner that isn’t your nothing smirk.”

“If you’re not pregnant we could have a good time trying.”

“Tanner” I gasped nodding towards the nurse.

“What Adds? I can’t deny that my wife is hot! Is she not beautiful?”

“Very” Betty said with a chuckle.

“If you are then we have a few months to enjoy ourselves.”

“Playoffs Tans.”

“A baby, Addie” he said kissing my forehead.

“Alright all done” she said placing a band-aid on my arm. “We’ll talk to you soon. Have a good rest of the evening.”

“Maybe a baby, Tans” I smiled, kissing him lightly. “Lets go home.”

“Yea, let’s go home.”

A few days off and away from work allowed me to rest, spending most of the time lounging with Tanner on the couch watching movies and chatting about the future, involving children, a handful of them actually. A couple boys and at least one girl to balance everything out. And any minute now we would hear from the Doctor, letting us know if our dream of a family would happen sooner or later.

“Hey, here’s your sandwich” he said handing me a plate as he sat next to me. “You’re nervous aren’t you?”

“Yes, very nervous” I replied resting my head on his shoulder.

“What’s wrong Addison?”

“I’m scared that it will be positive but then again I’m scared it won’t be” I said feeling my eyes start to water. “I want a baby, but I’m terrified of being a horrible mom.”

“I’m scared to Adds. I don’t want to be a horrible dad.”

“You’ll make a great dad Tans.”

“And you’ll be a great mom” he replied just as my phone went off.

“Guess we’re about to find out” I whispered before answering. “This is Addison.”

“Mrs. Letang, we have your test results. . .”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes? No?