‹ Prequel: Someone To Save Me

You Can Fight Fate, You Just End Up Losing

Happy Birthday Mom.

“Tanner, I don’t know if I can do this” she said as we waited.

“Well good news is you don’t have to do it alone.” I brushed her hair from her face before bending down to where she sat and kissed her lips tenderly. “You’re an a amazing woman Addie. I love you so very much.”

“I love you too” she whispered in a tender voice.

“You’re still nervous aren’t you?”

“Yes” she sighed her hands resting on her stomach.

“What’s got you nervous now baby?”

“It will all become real once we do this.”

“That’s what’s making you nervous” I smiled as she nodded. “I can’t wait to see our baby Adds.”

“How are you so calm?”

“I don’t know” I said honestly. This should terrify me, we’ve been married less than a year, I shouldn’t feel prepared for this at all. “I know that I love you and this baby more than I ever thought possible. I haven’t met them yet but I know they’re going to be amazing, just like the woman I love.”

“Stop, you’re going to make me cry” she said cupping my face in her hands. “You’re too sweet you know that right?”

“Well . . .” A knock on the door stopped me, and Addison’s OBGYN walked in, a man I had never met, who spent too much time with his face between my wife’s legs.

“Mr. Letang, it’s nice to meet you. Addison, good to see you again. I heard from your regular doctor, lets take a look shall we” he said smiling a bit too much at my wife. He’s not much older than us, probably in his 30’s, young enough to be attracted to his patients but old enough not to hit on them. He pulled on gloves and slide his stool close to the table when Addie sat. “Alright, you know the drill. Legs up in the stirrups and scoot your bottom to the edge.”

I apparently had a scowl on my face because she grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze, along with the harsh look she gave me that said ‘don’t even think what you’re thinking’. How the hell does she do that?

“Everything from here looks good; Let’s get a closer look at things with the ultrasound” the Doctor said pulling over some sort of contraption with a TV screen on it.

“I thought ultrasounds were on the outside?” I whispered to Addie.

“It’s too early to see anything that way” she answered, still holding my hand.

“You’ll be able to see on the monitor” he commented gesturing towards the mounted screen. It took a minute but soon there was a tiny blip on the screen and the steady rhythm of a heart beat. “There we are. Looks like you’re around 5weeks, give or take of course. And with the family history of multiples we’ll have to check that out in a month or so, right now it looks like just one but they have a tendency of hiding out for the first couple months.”

“Tanner, now I know why daddy called me peanut” she gasped.

“Looks like a blip, like on an old radar.”

“We’re going to have a baby” she whispered, a tear sliding down her face. I brushed it off with my thumb and as she smiled.

“We’re going to have a baby.”

*****

My mom’s birthday is this weekend and the whole family including Tanner’s side are in town, and we decided to tell them all tonight at dinner. To have the weight of hiding it from them off my shoulders will help immensely with the stress.

“About ready Addie?”

“Yea, just putting on my shoes Tans.”

“I’ll grab the bag” he said kissing my forehead as we walked into our closet. “Should we do this before or after dinner?”

“After” I replied walking over to him, my coat and clutch in one hand, the other laced in his. “I’m nervous to see daddy’s reaction.”

“He’ll be happy” he reassured me, kissing my hand as we started down the stairs. “Looks like they’re all waiting for us.”

“Looks like it.”

“Geeze Addie it’s about time!” Pat yelled jumping up from the couch.

“Someone’s hungry” Renee commented sticking close to Jamie’s side.

“Probably would have gnawed my arm off if he had a chance” Jamie said giving Tanner’s little sister a warm smile. They’re so cute together, is that what people saw when Tan and I were together?

“Well we better head off to the restaurant then” I said pulling on my coat. “Daddy, you just want to follow us in the SUV? We can get 3 more in our car.”

“Sounds like a plan peanut” he said helping mom with her coat as she whispered with Aunt Janie.

“I don’t know if I want to know what they’re talking about” Tanner whispered in my ear.

“I know right” I laughed.

“By the way” he added still whispering. “Your rack looks amazing right now.” I gasped turning to face him, a smirk played on his lips.

“You’re ridiculous!”

“Jesus, get a room” Pat said passing us to get in the car.

“I will talk to my wife how ever I want to, Patty!” Tanner said pulling me into his chest, making me yelp in surprise. “And I will. I also plan to have some fun tonight when we get back into our room, away from everyone else” he added looking me directly in the eyes.

“Ok” I gasped. I hadn’t noticed just how much my hormones had been all over the place until recently. Either that or Tanned had been playing the pregnancy to his advantage. I shook my head and climbed into the car.

*****

Dinner went by in a loud, talk over each other, family drives you crazy sort of way. And was great. I didn’t realize how much I had missed my big loud extended family until tonight.

“So, Adds and I have presents” Tanner said getting everyone’s attention.

“Just something to really say thanks for everything, wedding, honeymoon, and moving into the house. You all made it so easy for us” I added as Tanner passed out the wrapped gifts. And we sat waiting, for about 30seconds, before the table went silent and our moms looked at each other and then to us with tear filled eyes.

“I’m going to be an Uncle!” Pat said holding up his shirt with the “½ of the Worlds Best Uncle” logo on it, Jamie’s matched, Renee had a mug- her love of coffee made that choice easy- with #1 Aunt on it, and out parents got framed ultra sound pictures.

“I finally understand the peanut thing daddy” I said with a smile as he looked in awe at the little blip.

“Addison” he whispered. “Oh, Peanut.”

“I think that means he’s happy for you Addie” Jamie said folding his shirt up.

“OH, my baby is having a baby!” Aunt Janie said, as Uncle Tangs just smiled.

“Addison, Tanner, this is amazing” mom said holding the picture to her chest, “Best present ever.”

“I’m glad you like it” I smirked. “We’re waiting to find out if it’s just one blip or two since apparently multiples run in the family.”

“Blips!” mom half squealed.

“We’re going to be grandmas!” Aunt Janie said in a bittersweet tone, making Uncle Tangs laugh.

“Oh, Addie” mom said teary eyed, she stood up and walked around the table to hug Tanner and I. “I’m so happy for you baby girl.”

“Thanks mom” I whispered holding her tight.

“Let’s head home” Daddy said, gathering mom’s bag and coat, tucking the frame in her purse.

“Daddy?”

“Yes, Peanut?” He asked, looking at me with nostalgia reflecting in his eyes. “It’s weird to think my little girl is going to be a mom.” He pulled me into a half hug since his one arm was full, and placed a fatherly kiss on the top of my head. “And you” he said pointedly at Tanner, with a stern look on his face, “I thought I told you a long time ago to stay away from my Addie,” his face broke into a smile.

“I can’t help myself Uncle Sid” Tanner said with a shrug, before helping me with my coat.
♠ ♠ ♠
. . . . Had to have them tell their families in a semi cute way. Why not at her mom's birthday dinner? Still don't have the full reactions of everyone, honestly they're still in shock. So real reactions to come!

How do you think they'll really feel about it once they settle into the thought of a babies or even babies? How do you want them to react?